Utah legalizes lane Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to now, California was the only State that allowed Lane Splitting. Now another State has seen the light, and will allow Motorcycles to filter through stopped cars to the head of the line. This is safer for riders than sitting waiting to get flattened from behind by a distracted driver, and reduces the length of traffic back-ups, which is a benefit to those in cars. Hopefully all States will eventually enact this type of common sense legislation.

Lane filtering and splitting is common around the World, where Motorcycles are seen as legitimate forms of transportation, and not just play toys as they often are in the USA.

Utah legalizes Lane Filtering

The term that was used when I lived in California was lane sharing. A motorcycle may also pass cars going 35mph sharing a lane, or splitting lanes as some call it as long as the motorcycle does not go over 15 mph faster than the vehicle it is passing.

Researched, laws changed in Cali 2016, splitting/sharing might be legal up to 50mph now!

Everybody lane splits on a motorcycle in Australia, it just makes sense, but mostly on thin bikes, not a full dress Harley. I assume it's legal, nobody hides the fact they do it here.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
......Researched, laws changed in Cali 2016, splitting/sharing might be legal up to 50mph now!

Perhaps the orthopedic surgeons in California were complaining business was down.

Not exactly legal here - you are supposed to ''stay in your lane''....but so long as you don't sit on the white line, then you are in your lane. Anyway everyone does it and no one gets pulled up for it. I pick my times these days, on a BMW with panniers, wide bars, and mirrors wider still.

Back in the '60's, '70's and '80's everyone rode bikes, they were everywhere. When you were lane splitting if cars saw you coming through they'd pull over to give you more room....these days drivers are different, they are more likely to move over to give you less room.

It's one of the benefits of riding a bike here - you get places quicker if there is traffic. When I go away for a weekend on my bike I can save at least an hour on my journey by splitting (we call it 'filtering') between slow and stationary lanes of traffic on highways. You have to do it safely and considerately, otherwise you could be up for careless/dangerous/reckless driving but there are no specific rules about speeds, speed differentials etc. You can't cross a solid line and you can't pass the car at the front of a queue at a pedestrian ("zebra") crossing, in the zone marked with zig-zag lines.

You still get people who don't like you doing it though, and try to squeeze the gap so you can't get through.

Originally Posted by billt460
......Researched, laws changed in Cali 2016, splitting/sharing might be legal up to 50mph now!

Perhaps the orthopedic surgeons in California were complaining business was down.

So true.

Originally Posted by billt460

So true.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
In jammed up, bumper to bumper traffic it seems to me to make a lot of sense but the safety of the bikers depends on the awareness of the lane-changing car drivers. ( good luck with that).

The bike rider is taking the chance dreaming that he has the right of way.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Up to now, California was the only State that allowed Lane Splitting. This is safer for riders than sitting waiting to get flattened from behind by a distracted driver, and reduces the length of traffic back-ups, which is a benefit to those in cars.

Have to ask how exactly does putting motorcycles at the front of a line reduce back-ups compared to sitting in place? Sorry if it just seems like an entitlement thing disguised as being beneficial to all the stupid cagers.

Lane splitting is one of the main reasons I hate driving in California.

Could this development also include realizing the difficulty of enforcing "stay-in-your-lane" laws?

I don't think society will like it if traffic spills over into the shoulder. That's for emergency use.

The self-righteous I-own-the-road attitude of most American truck and automobile drivers is not compatible with the intelligent, efficient, concept of lane splitting. Likely to result in road rage or vehicular aggression against the Motorcyclist in one form or another in most instances: "Hey he can't cut in line like that, I'm gonna show him !!!..."

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Up to now, California was the only State that allowed Lane Splitting. This is safer for riders than sitting waiting to get flattened from behind by a distracted driver, and reduces the length of traffic back-ups, which is a benefit to those in cars.

Have to ask how exactly does putting motorcycles at the front of a line reduce back-ups compared to sitting in place? Sorry if it just seems like an entitlement thing disguised as being beneficial to all the stupid cagers.

Well it relieves them of the most vulnerable time on wheels. The single helpless time for anyone is stopped in the back of the line of cars. They're unable to do anything stuck there waiting for that next car to arrive. If they're between them they can't get rear ended by some texter which is a very real risk today. Sure there will be idiots on bikes abusing it but it will save a lot of serious injuries and deaths overall.

I'm ok when its done politely and correctly, but just like texting auto drivers... there are retards on the motorcycles out there too.

Had a 4 hour wait a couple years ago when a lane splitting motorcycle got decapitated by a semi-trailer.

He was going 85+ in a 65mph zone and traffic was around 50mph. 4-lane interstate(2 lanes each direction)

Where I live traffic is usually not an issue. I've ridden motorcycles for over 30 years and I'd never even consider doing this. I really just dont see the benefits of doing so vs the potential risks.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
The self-righteous I-own-the-road attitude of most American truck and automobile drivers is not compatible with the intelligent, efficient, concept of lane splitting. Likely to result in road rage or vehicular aggression against the Motorcyclist in one form or another in most instances: "Hey he can't cut in line like that, I'm gonna show him !!!..."

it's not legal here, but they do it anyway. I had a pack of squids pass me last weekend ( weather was good ) and several missed my front corner by about 24" inches, maybe less, in their zeal to be imagined kings of the road.

That seemed kind of self righteous, I own the road entitled, not to mention downright stupid, but I guess they showed me their skill. Or lack thereof.

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Well it relieves them of the most vulnerable time on wheels. The single helpless time for anyone is stopped in the back of the line of cars. They're unable to do anything stuck there waiting for that next car to arrive. If they're between them they can't get rear ended by some texter which is a very real risk today. Sure there will be idiots on bikes abusing it but it will save a lot of serious injuries and deaths overall.

In addition, it reduces the depth of the backup. instead of a motorcycle taking up an entire lane width, they squeeze forwards so that more cars can line up. Think of how many more vehicles we could fit behind a stop light if every car with just one person it it was on a motorcycle instead! You also rarely see a distracted motorcyclist busy texting while on the road (not to say that there aren't motorcyclists that try to ruin it for the rest of us too).

Lane splitting is BS and causes more chaos. If you're scared of getting hit by a car, don't drive a motorcycle.

Okay, I'll ask: in the event that the motorcycle and vehicle make contact and there are adverse consequences, how do you determine who is liable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back