Help identify this dog breed!

For kicks and giggles, I'd like to get other's opinions on my mixed dog's breed(s).

A few (possibly) pertinent traits:

He is 43 lbs and 6 years old. Will eagerly hike, run, play, and get wound up easily, but is very content just lazing around for hours. Is very good with the kids and loves them, but he is rather clingy and attached to the wife. Isn't terribly vocal. Has a very deep bark and a, well, not sure what to call it, but it kind of sounds like a high pitched rolling of the "R" letter if gotten very excited. Not sure if any of that helps....

Anyway, we're pretty sure he's a mix, but we were told Irish Terrier by previous owner, but the vet she always took him to had him listed as Irish Wolfhound. The wirey hair indicates some kind of terrier involvement, but I'm not sure about an Irish Terrier. At 43 lbs, he's no Irish Wolfhound, although I think his head has a very good liking to one.

In the middle picture, he doesn't normally pin his ears back. He just thinks he's in trouble because we made him hold still for a photo, lol.

What do ya'll think could be involved in this mix?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
He looks EXACTY like my next door neighbor's dog. Definitely a terrier mix.

I agree, but there are sooo many types of terrier and they look almost nothing alike, lol.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I would say a mix but perhaps part Wheaten Terrier.

Good call on the Wheaten. There are a lot of similarities, for sure. I also think he looks a lot like a cross between a Great Pyrenees and Irish Wolfhound, but that would be huge!

Originally Posted by 28oz
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I would say a mix but perhaps part Wheaten Terrier.

Good call on the Wheaten. There are a lot of similarities, for sure. I also think he looks a lot like a cross between a Great Pyrenees and Irish Wolfhound, but that would be huge!

The Wheaten does have a different tail, and those haircuts are kind of goofy. I could definitely believe a Wheaten/Retriever mix maybe? His tail and undercoat looks Golden Retriever-ish to me.

Originally Posted by csandste
Wheaten meets Golden Retriever--true romance.

I think it's a possibility, but he has smaller ears than a Golden and most of the Wheatens in pictures.
21.gif

Terrier sight hound mixes are known as lurchers, they were bred as poachers dogs to steal game off the landowners.

Being typically ‘bitzers' or ‘heinz' breeds they are usually incredibly healthy.

I want my next dog to be a lurcher

Have a DNA done. A stray came to my house last fall and I fell in love with her and had it done: 37% American Staffordshire Terrier, 25% Boxer, rest a mix of hounds/guard dogs.

20180929_153517-1.jpg

Ha-ha, you made me laugh. That's a PATHMARK.
In 1973 kids at a Pathmark grocery store in Teaneck, NJ were giving away 3 puppies. I took one.

It was a tad smaller than your dog but could bark the front door off its hinges.

'Twas a good dog.

Skip the "Doggie DNA" test as I believe they're sloppily done. Life and death aren't remotely involved so the technicians involved cannot possibly care.

My 2¢.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I am searching for a Chinese restaurant menu joke, but I cannot quite come up with the proper syntax.
Once on the menu, it all looks the same - General Tso's Chicken.
smile.gif

I agree that he's a terrier mix....possibly terrier/hound mix.....…possibly a little Golden Retriever in the mix.

Did you know that a litter of pups can have more than 1 father? For example...a female in heat mates with 2 or 3 males and has 9 puppies....3 could be from each male....this sometimes accounts for why puppies from the same mixed breed litter look totally different.

Back