Any G96 Fans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*I've seen this gun oil on Amazon before - any fans of G96 ? I see it comes in a few different versions - any preference ?

I tried a can of it once in the 70's. It had a real sweet smell to it. And after a while it left the metal surfaces tacky to the touch. So I never used it again. They used to sell a, "Gun & Reel" wiping cloth with the stuff already in it.

I can't say if they haven't changed the formula today. Hoppes #9, along with FP-10 and several others have. So who knows?

I've tried it. It works well.

The most demanding (in terms of lubrication) gun I own is my DPMS LR-308, particularly when shooting 7.62 ammo. It does better on .308 ammo.

It doesn't like to run dry, and it starts to have trouble (short-cycling) at 60+ rounds on some oils. Lubricated with G96, I've run 100+ rounds of 7.62 through it (which is a lot of shooting for that rifle) without any issues.

So, I know it works well. Better than some oils. I can't tell you if it's the best, but I can tell you that it's good.

Do not know about your LR-308 , but Uncle Sugar used to use CLP on M16's .

how mant rounds on the rifle ? It may not be broken in yet .

Also , maybe check the rings on the bolt . Are they staggered ?

Maybe , not enough gas ? Use a long pipe cleaner on the insideod the gas tube .

Barrel gas port mst be unsersize or need cleaning ?

Sams for fas bloxk .

Some ammo is gusr hotter than others .

Wrong recoil spring ?

Many new AR"s like to be run wer untill they break in .

I uae a mix of engine oil , STP , ATF Fluid in my AR's , same as I use on my press .

Best of luck to you !

Thanks WyrTwister.

Gas port/tube are clean. Rings are staggered. Gun is kept clean. It's had over 1,000 rounds, so I reckon it's broken in.

.308 is hotter (more gas pressure) than 7.62. I've got a ton of 7.62 bought inexpensively, so that's what I usually shoot.

I've accepted the fact that if I use lower pressure ammo, the rifle will be picky about lube.

It's not a big deal. I've found that G96, and AMSOIL, let it run reliably on 7.62. Knowing that, I've not had a problem in the last two years.

Anecdotally, lots of folks have trouble with DI .308 Ar-style rifles running reliably. I was in that category, until I realized that my ammo choice was part of the problem, and I found a workable combination of lube and ammo (.308 and anything, or 7.62 with a particular couple of oils).

Part of the issue may be that my rifle (an AP-4) is a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system in .308. Worst combination for reliability.

When I get a chance to try out my new Magpul D-50, which just arrived, I'll let you know if I uncover any further issues with this particular rifle.

By the way, my AR-15 (an Armalite in M-4 configuration, carbine length gas system) isn't at all picky about lube. Runs great all day long on any choice of ammo and lube.

Last edited:
I have a DPMS AP-4 Carbine in .308. And I can testify to the fact it likes hot ammo. It runs much better on it. That, and lots of lube. I shoot mostly handloads in mine. Usually Sierra 168 Grain Match Hollow Points over 43.5 Gr. of Varget. It's a good, hot, accurate load. And Varget burns nice and clean.

I currently have the G96 Synthetic CLP in the rotation for T & E. My conclusion is that it is a good CLP but nothing particularly spectacular and definitely overpriced. $16 for a 4 oz screw-top bottle is a bit much.

I also have the G96 military grade bore solvent and it is good but overpriced also. I Have not tried the other G96 products though.

Originally Posted by Astro14

It's not a big deal. I've found that G96, and AMSOIL, let it run reliably on 7.62.

Do you mix G96 and Amsoil or use them independently? What specific Amsoil product are you referring to?

Originally Posted by igolfat8
Originally Posted by Astro14

It's not a big deal. I've found that G96, and AMSOIL, let it run reliably on 7.62.

Do you mix G96 and Amsoil or use them independently? What specific Amsoil product are you referring to?

I apologize, I should've been more clear...

I don't mix anything when lubricating that rifle*.

I've used either G96 or AMSOIL on the DPMS .308 with good results.

These:
http://www.g96.com/products/synthetic-clp-gun-oil/#

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...thetic-firearm-lubricant-and-protectant/

The AMSOIL gun oil is good stuff.

I'm also a fan of the AMSOIL gun cleaner. It removes carbon well, and leaves a slight film of oil behind when wiped clean. That makes it ideal for a lot of gun cleaning. A one step clean and preserve.

*I use both Mobil 1 grease and gun oil on Garand, but that's for different points as required by the rifle. My DI carbines just get one oil, in the specified places. I carry a 4oz AMSOIL gun oil in my range bag.

Happened to be in the lane next to a shooter with a brand new rifle that was acting up. He and his buddy weren't really experienced. When the Range Safety Officer stepped in to help, it became clear (after borrowing my takedown tool) that they hadn't lubricated the new rifle, just took it out of the box and began shooting it.

The rifle was both new and dry. Not how I would choose to break one in. I handed them my AMSOIL, showed them the key points, and they spent the next hour shooting happily. No more malfunctions. That rifle probably would be happy with any oil, vs. no oil, but the AMSOIL has worked well in my guns and in theirs.

Been using the G96 Complete Gun Treatment (black, yellow & red can) for 15 years or better. It's my favorite single CLP.
Have used it on break-open, semi and pump shotguns, 22LRs of all sorts, center-fire pistols and revolvers and a couple of ARs.
Can of that, a small bottle of decent oil and a small tube of grease ... a guy can get by.

The first thing I noticed, when I opened the box for my brand new 2011 vintage, Colt 1911, was the smell. It was like perfume! I contacted Colt and asked them what oil they use and discovered it was G96. For the last 8 years that's what I've continued using on my Colts and they've never skipped a beat.

The G96 synthetic CLP is good stuff. Its one of the only lubes on the market to meet US govt spec for small arms.

I've used it. I like it. That said, at $14 for a 4 ounce bottle, its too expensive.

At that price, just stick with FP10, Breakfree CLP or LP, or M Pro 7. All available for about $8 or under for a bottle.

I've got a can of the aforementioned g96 complete gun treatment I bought at a local hardware store. I use it to clean and lube my Ruger bearcat, seems to work fine. Smells good, especially those first shots after a fresh clean. I've also got some hoppes no 9 in a bottle but I use the g96 more due to convenience.

Either by gift or my own purchase I have : FP10 , M Pro 7 , SLIP 2000 EWL , and Extreme Weapons Lube . While G96 Synthetic CLP is of interest - it's a bit expensive but I may try it any way ... With respect to price , when I consider how little I realy use over all to maintain firearms - some of the above CLP's will be willed to my sons (lol !)
Originally Posted by bubbatime
The G96 synthetic CLP is good stuff. Its one of the only lubes on the market to meet US govt spec for small arms.

I've used it. I like it. That said, at $14 for a 4 ounce bottle, its too expensive.

At that price, just stick with FP10, Breakfree CLP or LP, or M Pro 7. All available for about $8 or under for a bottle.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*I've seen this gun oil on Amazon before - any fans of G96 ? I see it comes in a few different versions - any preference ?

I prefer this over the Hoppe's No. 9 on the smell alone. Maybe it's not as strong a solvent as the Hoppe's but if you clean often it shouldn't be an issue.

I personally quite like the one-stop solution than the clean-and-then-lubricate method. I agree cleaning guns can be a therapy sometimes so I would alternate between G96 and Hoppe's.

Last edited:
The 10 oz. can of G96 Gun Treatment is the CLP that I keep on my bench. Decent enough as a light cleaner, will do in a pinch as a main lube, but a very, very good protectant, IME.
I find the G96 Synthetic Gun Oil a nice enough performer, but rather expensive.
For a mainline gun oil on my bench (generally applied from a needle bottle) and for putting in small bottles for my range and hunting bags as a lube and a CLP, I use Shooter's Choice FP-10. A very good gun oil, IMO, and can double as a CLP when needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I like it, but mainly use SLIP EWL

I have that one too.

The two gun ranges around here have been promoting Breakfree LP, for after-cleaning treatments.
I'm scheduled to run out of my current stock-assortment in 2024. So I'll test the Breakfree LP then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back