Stale oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

It it safe to do an annual oil change with new, unopened oil left from last years purchase but not used?

Motor oil is safe to use for years unopened. Consensus is 5 years, but I'd be willing to say it's longer than that. Thus the reason for stockpiling.

There are certain members here who would, to err waaay on the side of caution, advise recycling any oil older than 6 months. Less if opened.

I'm using 2+ year old oils in all my cars and equipment.

You're OK. At about 16:05 the Q from machine3 is shelf life of motor oil? Answers are 5-8 years; at 16:31 they suggest shaking the bottle additives settling, but don't say how long this may take...Valvoline says most important thing is using the right specification of oil; don't use 10 year old motor oil in a 5 year old vehicle...I would've thought that common sense...I'm a loyal Amsoil user and I'm sure I have about a 3-4 year supply on hand...Lots of BITOGERS are oil hoarders..."Last year's purchase" would be used without any hesitation by even the most anal BITOGER...assuming this isn't a Dollar General purchase and the oil is the correct spec for the engine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw&t=1010s

Aside from what's been said already, the API service classification for motor oils does evolve after a number of years. The current service classification is SN/SN+. If you've been storing oil so long that it no longer meets your required service classification, that's really the only situation where I would not use it. Otherwise it takes a very long time for oil to go bad inside a sealed bottle. Give it a shake and enjoy your ride.

I've found 5+ years old cooking oil in the back of kitchen pantry and we are still alive. lol
If it doesn't kill you, it won't kill the car.

btw, i read somewhere that all engine oils were under the ground for millions of years ... that's why the call them dino
grin2.gif
synthetic is also dino plus a little bit of "synthetic" (ie dino tweaked) so they can over charge the consumer ...
shocked2.gif
which means syn was also under ground for millions of years!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I've found 5+ years old cooking oil in the back of kitchen pantry and we are still alive. lol
If it doesn't kill you, it won't kill the car.

btw, i read somewhere that all engine oils were under the ground for millions of years ... that's why the call them dino
grin2.gif
synthetic is also dino plus a little bit of "synthetic" (ie dino tweaked) so they can over charge the consumer ...
shocked2.gif
which means syn was also under ground for millions of years!

If there is a problem it's not going to be with the oil molecules themselves. Hydrocarbons are stable, any issues would be with additive longevity or interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back