Nutritional value of ripe vs. unripe bananas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually have one a day and buy 3 at a time that have a green tint on them. By the time I get to the third one it's ripe, but when I have the first two they're not. Any difference in nutritional value?

A slight difference in how the starch is available to the body.

As a borderline diabetic, I look for bananas closer to green. It takes longer for the carbs in that banana to get into my system, making the blood sugar less of a spike, and more of a gentle rise and fall.

If I needed quick energy on a 100km bike ride, I'd look for spotty bananas as I need the carbs more quickly to keep from bonking.

Unripe bananas have no nutritional value because I won't consume them.
lol.gif

javacontour nailed it. Dr. Oz once recommended only eating 1/2 banana, at least 1 hour apart per serving, if it is kinda ripe to avoid an insulin glycemic spike. Avoiding those spikes is important for everyone.
"They cause a spike your blood sugar and insulin production and then a sudden drop - a process that increases chronic inflammation. Reducing the frequency and amount of desserts you eat will help to reduce the inflammation in your body." -- https://www.enhancedvision.com/low-...flammation-and-macular-degeneration.html
Inflammation causes all sorts of awful issues.

Greener bananas are fine to eat a whole one at one time.

I've started having a banana an hour before lunch or dinner so I don't eat as much or anything afterwards. Might have to try some other fruit.

Originally Posted by javacontour

As a borderline diabetic, I look for bananas closer to green. It takes longer for the carbs in that banana to get into my system, making the blood sugar less of a spike, and more of a gentle rise and fall.

If I needed quick energy on a 100km bike ride, I'd look for spotty bananas as I need the carbs more quickly to keep from bonking.

+1

Also note, the greener the banana equals less sugar and more "resistant" starch. The resistant starch part is still carbs but unavailable to digestion (no sugar spike) but does play an important role in feeding good gut bacteria.

I can't stand "ripe" bananas. The peel has got to have a fair amount of green before they taste good to me.
grin.gif

It has to be speckled brown for me. I can't stand starchy fruit.

Going green to ripe, the starch drops from 25% to 2%. Sugar does the opposite.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would think the fiber content of a banana would produce a reasonable net carb number.

Net Carbs and Glycemic Index are two different things. It's all about how fast the sugar hits your blood stream.

Get this book and reverse your diabetes. "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes." - Neal D. Barnard, MD.
https://books.google.com/books/abou..._read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
It's that simple. Good luck.

Originally Posted by NibbanaBanana

Get this book and reverse your diabetes. "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes." - Neal D. Barnard, MD.

Or watch Dr. Jason Fung's video on reversing diabetes on YouTube.

Thanks,

I'm well controlled. I've lost 50# in the past year and my fast BG has gone from 180mg/dL to between 85-105mg/dL on most days.

My A1C has gone from 7.3 to 5.1 in the same period.

I was already exercising, just eating for crap. Change what I eat, stay below 60g carbs/meal, and no more than 200g (used to be 225g 50# ago) and I'm good to go.

I live by my food scale, measuring what I eat so I don't break out of my way of eating.

Do you not remember what I think of Fung? I shared my impressions with you about 6 months or so ago....

Edited to add, it's a family issue. My grandmother and mother, both still alive in their 90s and 70s respectively also have T2D and control it with diet.

It's just my turn to answer to my genetics. Since we tend to live to be 90+ if we don't die in our 20s, you all are probably stuck with me for a long time.

I apologize in advance that I'm likely to be around another 40 or so years to annoy people.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Or watch Dr. Jason Fung's video on reversing diabetes on YouTube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 28oz

Also note, the greener the banana equals less sugar and more "resistant" starch. The resistant starch part is still carbs but unavailable to digestion (no sugar spike) but does play an important role in feeding good gut bacteria.
:

+1 really important point....

We also try to retrograde all our starches at home for the same reason

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by 28oz

:

+1 really important point....

We also try to retrograde all our starches at home for the same reason

Yep. We do the same with rice and potatoes. Just repeated heating/cooling cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back