T5 15w40 for my bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Rotella T5 15w40 syn-blend I bought is showing a API SERVICE CK-4 rating on the jug but what's not showing on the jug is a SM/SN rating,, is a API SM/SN rating for gasoline engines? If yes, then my bike is a gasoline engine so can I be using an oil without the SM/SN rating?

Originally Posted by Truckedup
Maybe Mobil doesn't believe in Jaso standards. Maybe there's bad blood between Mobil and the Japanese bike manufacturers...

Mobil's 10W-40 racing motorcycle oil shows it meets JASO specs on their website.

Originally Posted by Bonz
In this link of some of my UOA's... 4th column in from the right, labeled at the top. T5 did a great job in my ZRX 1200.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/1/kawasaki-zrx1200-various-uoas

Other link that has a few more oils tested since then...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603

Full syn T6 15w40 would probably be better choice based on what I know (of synthetic vs syn blend/conventional in general in shared sump and shearing) if you really stretch the OCI out to longer mileage. Otherwise, heck yes on T5 15w40.

Use T5 syn blend 15w40 with confidence.
cheers3.gif

Wondering over and over why or why not about the JASO or SM/SN stamped or not stamped on the container is a moot point. Quoted my post from the first page with good numbers on T5 15w-40. It's proven to work, use it!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I did contact Shell regarding T5 and the rep stated T5 not rated for wet clutch and no plans to do so.
Regarding M1 20w\50 v-twin, it is rated for motor, tranny and primary. If it's OK in a H-D primary, it will be fine in a shared sump bike.

Originally Posted by troop
I did contact Shell regarding T5 and the rep stated T5 not rated for wet clutch and no plans to do so.
Regarding M1 20w\50 v-twin, it is rated for motor, tranny and primary. If it's OK in a H-D primary, it will be fine in a shared sump bike.

Not saying it isn't just it's strange it's not Jaso rated.. I used Redline Shock Proof in a Buell primary/trans, might not want to use it in an engine ...
grin2.gif

Maybe Shell didn't want to pay for or to bother with going thru the process to classify or rate the T5 15w40 syn-blend oil for its friction specs (I mean JASO MA/MA2 specs) and maybe the T5 oil meets those specs unofficially but is just not officially tested for it. Because I don't see much difference between the T5 15w40 syn-blend and the T6 15w40 full syn other than maybe the later has more syn added to it , i don't know, but to me if the later T6 is ok for wet clutch motorcycles then how come T5 isn't ok? I am beginning to become doubtful of claims that T5 15w40 syn-blend is NOT for wet clutch motorcycles unless I can see more evidence.

Yes the missing print of JASO MA/MA2 on the jug of T5 15w40 syn-blend is indeed evidence NOT to use it in a wet clutch motorcyce (for some that's convincing evidence not to use it), but I'm saying it's not convincing evidence for me anymore, I need more than just missing print on the jug to NOT use T5 in my wet clutch bike. And to me that's what this is all about now, it's about Shell leaving off the JASO printing for some reason, and I think that reason has nothing to do with the T5 oil being bad for my bike.

Oil companies will never admit to this, but I have it on good authority that every time someone uses a non JASO MA rated oil in their wet clutch motorcycle, a kitten dies.

We should not make the direct association that wet clutch compatibility = must be JASO tested.

The JASO MA and MA2 specs have to do with many other factors relating to wear performance as well.

An oil can be wet clutch compatible and work OK in most bikes and not be JASO anything. There is even a specification by Allison (C4) that implies wet clutch OK but it's an older spec relating to heavy machinery.

Also keep in mind that you can have oils approved by JASO and listed in the JASO database and then you can have companies like Shell that perform the JASO tests on their oil and then claim their oils meet the spec (without having to pay JASO the fees associated with certification).

Well without that JASO MA/MA2 printed on the jug, how's anyone to know if that oil is wet clutch compatible? I suppose what you're saying is that no JASO markings on the jug doesn't mean it's not wet clutch compatible. In other words, I can use the T5 syn-blend in my bike even though JASO is nowhere on the jug.

Originally Posted by Degreaser
Not sure of the meaning of this number, but T5 15w40 syn-blend Molybdenum is 68, is that high, low or ok

My T5 used oil analysis showed 12 moly, 26 Boron. Don't know if they are sacrificial and go down in ppm as the oil change interval gets longer.

The ZRX1200 has a strong engine in the modded form it exists in my bike. The T5 came out at the 46,235 mile mark. That clutch has seen a lot of use, but not abuse. Had zero issues. T5 worked great, main thing you are looking for is NON-ENERGY CONSERVING.

JASO MA/MA2 has not meant much of anything in practical terms, per se, when talking HDEO's. Folks may try to argue that, but too many millions and millions of miles have proven it to be so. That's been my experience, not armchair or water cooler discussion. YMMV.

Well without that JASO MA/MA2 printed on the jug, how's anyone to know if that oil is wet clutch compatible? I suppose what you're saying is that no JASO markings on the jug doesn't mean it's not wet clutch compatible. In other words, I can use the T5 syn-blend in my bike even though JASO is nowhere on the jug.

Supposedly the LACK of the "API Energy Conserving" starburst symbol means "ok for wet clutch" (for what that's worth also).

In common life this means any motor oil with an operating viscosity of 40 or higher is not energy conserving and might be usable in a wet clutch application.

But that shouldn't be confused with oil makers producing a 10w40 car oil with an implied wink that you can save money and run it in your motorcycle with a wet clutch.

The entire thing is rather frustrating but you are fine using any of the 40 weight Rotellas if that's ultimately what you want our blessing on.

Originally Posted by Truckedup
Originally Posted by troop

Not saying it isn't just it's strange it's not Jaso rated.. I used Redline Shock Proof in a Buell primary/trans, might not want to use it in an engine ...
grin2.gif

Well....Red Line Shock Proof is a gear oil, not a motor oil. But it is a pretty pepto pink......

Maybe Shell didn't want to pay for or to bother with going thru the process to classify or rate the T5 15w40 syn-blend oil for its friction specs (I mean JASO MA/MA2 specs) and maybe the T5 oil meets those specs unofficially but is just not officially tested for it. Because I don't see much difference between the T5 15w40 syn-blend and the T6 15w40 full syn ...

Shell knows the characteristics of their oil and no Shell oil is registered with JASO so they never pay anything.

So at the end of the day, does the T5 protect and provide more benefit than T4 in a motorcycle in shared sump or seperate engine/tranny sump situation? I would also like to know because I have both sitting in my garage and have dirtbikes with shared and seperate sumps and would like to use one oil since they both are very close in price.

I guess Im asking if there is any evidence to support T5 would be a higher quality oil vs T4 when used in a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I guess Im asking if there is any evidence to support T5 would be a higher quality oil vs T4 when used in a motorcycle.

The difference is negligible for the length of time most people own motorcycles. Neither oil will cause your bike to fail.

How about a different perspective other than oil companies JASO rating? Here is the perspective of a clutch manufacturer.

http://rekluse.com.whsites.net/support_faq_install.shtml

What oil do you recommend?
Let's start with oils we do not recommend. Any oil formulated for automotive use is not recommended and in general, should not be used in motorcycle applications. This includes conventional and synthetic oils formulated for automotive use. Modern automotive oils do not contain the anti-wear additives necessary for proper lubrication in a motorcycle engine and may contain high quantities of friction modifiers that can cause excessive clutch slip. That said, in most cases the oil you use should work fine in all Rekluse clutches However, some riders may find they experience clutch squeal, clutch chatter or have problems with clutch slip. If you experience these problems, we recommend trying Shell Rotella T, a heavy-duty, conventional diesel engine oil.

At Rekluse, we have found Shell Rotella T (15W-40) provides excellent clutch performance and often eliminates customer complaints of clutch problems. Why do we recommend conventional diesel engine oil over synthetic? In general, we have found conventional oils perform slightly better at reducing clutch noise vs synthetic oils. However, many Rekluse customers get excellent performance with synthetic oils.

The bottom line: If your current oil is working fine, keep using it. If you're hearing some clutch noise or your clutch feels soft or slips, give the Shell Rotella T a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back