Urethane with integrated clear coat cure time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a tough call because there are so many types of paint, base coat and 2k clear can be waxed shorty after application because it hardens from a chemical reaction like an epoxy not evaporation, but a mix like you describe can take up to 30 days to cure fully.

When in doubt 30 days.

I'm 99.99% sure that urethane doesn't out-gas when it cures, which means you don't have to wait to wax. However, you should probably wait a month before waxing just to be sure.

The solvent has been evaporated out within 12 to 24 hours, fact. I have seen Acrylic Urethane waxed within 12 to 24 hours 1000's of times. It will not damage it. It will not help it either. It does not need to be waxed, it needs no protection at this time, it can wait 30 days.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
I'm 99.99% sure that urethane doesn't out-gas when it cures, which means you don't have to wait to wax. However, you should probably wait a month before waxing just to be sure.

Not in the same way something like lacquer does but after the initial out gassing of the reducer curing times can be much longer, again it depends on the paint composition of which there are so many that without knowing exactly what was used any answer is just a guess.

PPG still states 30 days before waxing a freshly-painted finish. Although with urethane paints, they cure hard overnight and even quicker when baked in a paint booth.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by The_Nuke

Not in the same way something like lacquer does but after the initial out gassing of the reducer curing times can be much longer, again it depends on the paint composition of which there are so many that without knowing exactly what was used any answer is just a guess.

Correct, the blanket statement from most all manufactures for Acrylic Urethane is 30 days but some will state it takes 60 to 90 days for a "full" cure without a bake process. From my 35+ years experience 2k catalyst top coats can continue to harden for well over a year or more. If you wish to consider that "curing" ? I don't know, but it does continue to harden even though we can sand and polish it in 12 to 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back