Largest hole with 1/2in hammer drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the largest one would anticipate being able to drill with a 1/2in chuck hammer drill (corded)? Planning on running some 1/2in conduit through a basement wall (above grade) and hoping/wondering if there are any bits out there large enough that would fit my existing tooling. I don't foresee needing to do this more than 2-3 times in my life, but I don't mind buying a bit if it'll work... FWIW I bored some 5/8in holes the other day in cement without any trouble...

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well there's all sorts of hole saw sets out there, even as high as 4 1/2. Even use them for drilling dryer holes in the walls.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...le-Saw-Set-20-Piece-49-22-4170/305966971

A masonry hole saw is called a "core bit"

You need a 3/4" hole and that's about the max I would go with a 1/2 chucked hammer drill. HF demo hammers are not that expensive.

If you just need a couple holes, borrow one, but buy your own drill bit. A 1/2 hammer drill should easily drill holes for 1/2" conduit. The largest it will go is subjective as the larger you go the slower it will be but maybe 3/4", depends on the drill, some hammer much better than others.

It will do the job fine as long as it isn't some $30 Harbor Freight special.
wink.gif
If it is slow going, stop partway through and let it cool down instead of overheating it. No point in going to a store or even walking a block away to borrow one, will take more time than just drilling slower with what you have for those "2-3 times in my life".

If you were drilling a lot more, larger holes it would be a different story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back