counterfeit oil

is there a way to know whats real and whats counterfeit on a m1 for example?
how common are the counterfeit ones?
tnx

smirk2.gif
29.gif

read today that counterfeit car parts is a 400 bilion euro a year thing!!! a guy goes into toyota dealership and get a counterfeit oil filter.[censored] is going on in this world.
wonder how much oil is a part of that,its mostly from china and the us is a way bigger market than israel if anything.
very worrying.

Originally Posted by avi1777
elaborate please didnt quite get u.

I think Quattro is saying that one needs to send in a sample of any suspect oil.

A VOA is a Virgin (New) Oil Analysis.

My feeling is this situation is rare in NA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avi1777
elaborate please didnt quite get u.

VOA is a virgin oil analysis. Companies can take an oil sample and break down its composition.

It probably also depends on where you buy it. I think a large retailer like Walmart probably buys directly from the manufacturer so they're controlling their sources very carefully. But a small mom and pop type chain may get it from a distributor who may want to increase profits by getting some of their inventory from a counterfeiter. Or maybe they're going directly. Not common in the US.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I remember about 30 years ago when we were getting counterfeit brake pads that were made with compressed cardboard for the lining material.

eek.gif

In the US it will depend on where are you buying it. Plenty of fake parts on eBay and Amazon. I even had the luck of getting a counterfeit spark plug from a dealer.
With an oil here is less of an issue. If you ask to put synthetic oil in an oil change shop that is not guaranteed that you will get a synthetic oil...

One approach is to get the cheap no brand oil from the same supplier and to change it often.

Ravenol has gone to some lengths to inhibit counterfeiting their product. The high dollar oil on the shelf in the states would be slam dunk easy to fake if so inclined.

I've seen some M1 5 qt jugs at Walmart with the perforated band at the bottom of the cap torn. I opened the cap, looked inside and it was full of used oil. I brought it to a manager and told him about this. He says it's rampant and a daily thing.

Originally Posted by anndel
I've seen some M1 5 qt jugs at Walmart with the perforated band at the bottom of the cap torn. I opened the cap, looked inside and it was full of used oil. I brought it to a manager and told him about this. He says it's rampant and a daily thing.

This is where Valvoline's new packaging really shines. You can see the foil seal under the clear cap. No question about tampering whatsoever. I don't care if it's easier to pour, I do however like to be able to verify that the jug hasn't been tampered with at a glance.

Originally Posted by 69Torino

This is where Valvoline's new packaging really shines. You can see the foil seal under the clear cap. No question about tampering whatsoever. I don't care if it's easier to pour, I do however like to be able to verify that the jug hasn't been tampered with at a glance.

I like that as well. That jug was well though out.

I at least look in the "level sight" window to make sure it's not dirty oil … but never found an M1 jug (in decades) that did not have the dual protection in place … and never once saw anything in the bottom of a jug …

[censored]!!!

Not a very good chance of counterfeit oil. Like zero chance.

The question would be why do it ? and How would one do it?

Too little refineries and supply chains for such a complicated thing and why for such little profit when almost any other thing to counterfeit out there is easier in every way imaginable (including shipping) and more profitable.

Last edited:
russia and china(the lovlely,nice countrys that never steer [censored] up in the world)are doing the majority they sell used oil that comes from who knows where.

Back