Jiffy Lube strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha!! I have the local Jiffy Lube do all my oil changes now. My knees just aren't able to allow me to crawl around on the driveway anymore.

I take my own oil, filter, and actually watch them change my oil. The crew knows me by name and we actually shoot the bull while I watch them service my car. And I do double check everything when I get home, and then add the ZRA.

Oh, and I am sure that has never happened at a dealership, either....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil
I'm not picking up what he is putting down.

He ignores an oil light on the dash, so does his wife.
They continue to drive with increasing noise from the engine.
There had to be a loss of power that would be noticeable or even dangerous.
And the ECM would have stored an oil pressure low code.

I'm not defending Iffy Lube. I've had problems with them myself, but really, there is no doubt in my mind the owner ignored the obvious signs something was amiss.
Owner also has a second car so they could have just parked it, I doubt that guy is still commuting to work everyday. A four year old Caravan can't be worth much more than $9k can it?

My Dad has the same attitude, doesn't check their work and will get angry when they don't fix something he didn't ask them to. Earlier this year he got the trans lines replaced on his old 04 Sierra. Except they just spliced rubber lines instead of replacing the hard lines. He immediately took it on the highway and smoked the trans. When I inspected it, a thin stream was spraying from a line that was still leaking. He sold the truck to a friend to put a new trans in it.

If you're going to a cheap shop, you better check their work. What recourse do they have if you identify a problem in their parking lot?

One would think that the big red idiot light in the dash would be an indicator, but hey it's called an idiot light for a reason. What I don't understand is why the shop didn't use their insurance. Maybe in Oregon you don't have to carry a Garage Policy, but in most cases like this your Garage policy would kick in and the fight/lawsuit would be handled by the insurance carrier not the shop owner. There's something about this story and the timeline that just doesn't jive about this case.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
What I don't understand is why the shop didn't use their insurance.

Even if they do have insurance, you don't use it at the drop of a hat. Depending on the amount, it often makes more sense to pay out-of-pocket and avoid getting insurance companies involved.

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by gfh77665
JL probably won't cough up the money, but it will suffer much more bad publicity than simply paying the guy off. A bad image cost$.

It's a independent franchise so yes Jiffy Lube is not paying.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
One would think that the big red idiot light in the dash would be an indicator, but hey it's called an idiot light for a reason. What I don't understand is why the shop didn't use their insurance. Maybe in Oregon you don't have to carry a Garage Policy, but in most cases like this your Garage policy would kick in and the fight/lawsuit would be handled by the insurance carrier not the shop owner. There's something about this story and the timeline that just doesn't jive about this case.

There is a lot about this case which does not jive.

Originally Posted by dave1251
JL probably won't cough up the money, but it will suffer much more bad publicity than simply paying the guy off. A bad image cost$.

Jiffy Lube is already paying. Jiffy Lube is a "hot topic" on BITOG right now, and its mess is over the 'net and on TV.

Reputations matter. Do the math.

The old Chevrolet Astro had a sloping brake master cylinder, probably a 20 or 30 degree angle down. So of course the plastic reservoir was over half empty in the back and overflowing in the front.

My reservoir was a full as possible with nice fresh clear brake fluid, and the local Jiffy lube guy doing the mandatory vehicle inspection before we can renew tags tried to tell me I needed fluid.

He brought me out to show me how it was low. I pointed out the fluid was at max level in front and would spill out. Cocky little idiot would not understand. I told him I would bet him $100 dollars they could not add more than 1/8 inch fluid before it ran out. I had a cell phone picture of the reservoir. Then the manager intervened and stopped him just in time. Drat. Idiot tried to argue with the manager too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
No mention of his Oil Pressure red dash light coming on at some point during all the driving he & his wife did on it?
hmmmm.....
[Linked Image]

No Kidding!!!

Originally Posted by dave1251

Jiffy Lube is already paying. Jiffy Lube is a "hot topic" on BITOG right now, and its mess is over the 'net and on TV.

Reputations matter. Do the math.

Do the math Jiffy Lube made more money today then you have in your life and it will do it again tomorrow. Also you should take business course and not focus on math because apparently you do not understand how franchises with. Now do the math.

I've only been to a couple of these franchises, but the ones I took the folks car to always had a regimen where they show you the dipstick, shout out when something is completed all along the process, and try to up sell you on needing an air filter that you changed last week because "it looks pretty dirty". Combination floor show and "gotcha" when they push the fluids and filters at the end.

Predictable, but a situation where it's like a checklist that's confirmed as opposed to driving off with no oil in the vehicle. Taking this situation at face value and one that's questionable..aren't all these places like that??...or is this more of a drive-thru versus waiting room thing??

File a lien on the business, then if & when it ever sells, he'll be first in line to get paid, with interest. Still shocked that a BRAND NEW JL franchisee would not refer this to his insurance carrier, BEFORE the local news does a story on how they ripped off a customer, a Vietnam vet!

I don't have any sympathy for the quick change places like Jiffy Lube, I believe the car owner even if he didn't check the oil level after the service was performed should have seen and taken notice when the red no oil pressure light came on, but instead kept driving the van until the engine failed. I don't have any sympathy for the van owner either, because he could have averted a major problem if he didn't have his head up his you know what and immediately notified the Jiffy Lube place about the low oil pressure light instead of driving the van.

I had a new Rav4 come in shop knocking with less than 3k. He claimed that he had oil change at Jiffy Lube week before. It was making noise when they brought his vehicle up front so he had them check it and they added oil. It was still making noise and they told him to just drive it. Needless to say cam scored, towers out of spec and spun main. Jiffy lube denied bill at first then insurance wanted new bearings only and customer wanted new engine. I gave estimate to make engine right which was more than new engine. Customer got new engine from Toyota not rebuilt. Customer lost all the way around as if memory serves me right the new engine has less warranty since it is a replacement from damage from outside Toyota's control.

Last edited:
What moron doesn't fill the car with oil after draining it out? Was it the the service tech's first ever oil change? This is completely on the jiffy lube place. If you pay to have a service done then it should be done. Sure hope that guy got fired.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It said he won a default judgment but JL hasn't paid. What if JL just doesn't pay?

Often business licenses are contingent on paying all judgements against the business. Possibly also the state's automotive repair division might not allow a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back