Side x Sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went looking at side x sides yesterday. I was looking at the Polaris 900xp Ranger and the Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXR. I really like both. Both have a smooth ride and plenty of power. The Mule is a bit more expensive. The guy at the Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer was trying to convince me to get 1 of his then he starts talking about the belts on the Rangers breaking and having to be replaced. Can anyone chime in on this? I think I like the smoothness of the Mule a lot better and it had a metal floor in bed and fender wells. It also had a roof and upgraded led light package. It was about 5k more than the Ranger though. My main concern is the belt on the ranger.

Buy Polaris, Basically bulletproof. Millions sold for good reason. Have family who've owned several and put 15,000 miles on them with just regular maintenance with hardly a problem.

Polaris are very good. As already stated, the belts hold up very well unless you ignore the operating instructions.
I don't know about the current day Mule. I did go through a maintenance course for the generally reviled military variant of the Teryx some years back, though. If the Mule has any of that DNA, wouldn't consider it.

I have had two RZR XP900, Kawasaki Teryx, and now a Polaris RZR Turbo.

I advise against the RZR900 and the Mule.

The RZR 900 has an inferior air box that lets too much dust into the engine causing loss of compression. I have done it twice.

The Mule has terrible suspension.. however if u are just putting around the farm it will be ok.

The Teryx is nearly bulletproof, but a belt change is nearly impossible on the trail. The fuel tank needs to be removed and the center console removed. The suspension isnt that good for trail riding, but it is a tank.

If you are looking to have fun the RZR 1000, or CanAM 1000 machines are nearly bulletproof after 2017.

If you want a workhorse the Teryx or Polaris General will do you well. I advise 2017 and newer on the General and RZR1000 due to reverse chains and transmission issues.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
What about the Ranger 900xp? Its been on sale for $9,399. For a 2018 or 2019 model.

I rode with one yesterday. 2018.. For the same price you can get a Teryx that is built much better.

Still dont know if you are looking for a fun or work machine.

Just putting around the farm and working. May hit a gravel road or woods sometimes. No hard core mudding or racing or anything.

I have the Massimo 500 from tractor supply. 4x4, everything I wanted and it's been rock solid. It's 2+ years old and I use it all around the house hauling hay, fencing, towing cars etc. I think I paid $7500 new in 2016. Check them out.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Just putting around the farm and working. May hit a gravel road or woods sometimes. No hard core mudding or racing or anything.

If just for that.. then the Kawasaki Teryx with a 3 year manufacturer warranty will be the best buy.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Belt life depends on how its driven. Jumping,racing or crawling in high gear will smoke the belt.

Belt life is dependent on many design factors as well as riding and maintenance habits. Wet clutches will generally give longer belt life because there is constant tension and assist to the belt. Non wet clutch designs can be improved greatly just by springs and the helix design. A poor helix will give a "belt slammer" condition. Polaris and Can Ams are infamous for this. Kawasaki atv's have the smoothest helix of any dry clutch, but in newer Teryxs, they have implemented a wet clutch.

Also, stiffer springs with more stall will raise rpms and give more grip on the belt which will allow for high range use in situations that would warrant low range with weaker springs.

Lastly, how well the clutches are cooled, and how well the belts are made will also greatly affect belt life.
All clutches and all belts are not created equal. Some systems will tolerate things that would shred a belt in others. And HP compounds issues here as well. A belt strains worse under 90 HP than it does with 50 HP.

All thing to consider....

Originally Posted by NEKGuy
Buy Polaris, Basically bulletproof. Millions sold for good reason..

I think this might be the most false post I've ever read here on Bitog, and that's saying something!

First of all, Polaris is anything but bulletproof. In fact, I've never heard anybody use that word to describe Polaris. Ever. And that includes the die hard Polaris fans I know, and I know plenty. Polaris is infamous for being at or near the bottom of the reliability scale. They have some positives, and they have some feathers in their cap, but reliability and build quality have never been a part of that. I live in the offroad capital of the world, and I average 3500 miles per year on the busiest trails anywhere, and Polaris tows and trail repairs outnumber all other brands combined! Last year, my ohv club had at least one Polaris that had issues on every single monthly ride we did. Some folks in the club have started to suggest a "no Polaris" policy, or at very least, make all the Polaris riders group together at the rear so they can help each other, and not slow down the entire convoy.
There were also two atv rental places along the Strawberry and Paiute trail systems that replaced their Polaris fleets last year due to their overtime expenses with their maintenance depts.
My local Kawie dealer just started selling Polaris, too, three year ago. Before then, I could swing in there and get service same day. But now, they are over three months out because of all the recalls and burnt up RZRs coming in!
I actually know one of the Polaris atv forum moderators, and I have a quote he made awhile back where he said the smartest thing any Polaris owner can do is start looking to trade in your Polaris when it gets 3500 miles on it to avoid the issues that get worse after that mark. I give him kudos because he's being honest even though I know it pains him to say that.
So basically, with how much I ride, a Polaris would last me 12 months before I'd have to get something else.

The reason Polaris sell well is because one of said positives is their plush and comfy ride. That is a huge factor to a big demographic of aging riders! And they sell well because they have more and spend more on a fantastic marketing dept. Their ad budget is probably triple what most other brands spend. Maybe ten times more than some of the Japanese brands spend on 4 wheel marketing. I've probably spent more money on coffee this year than Suzuki or Kawasaki has spent on advertising their atv's. It's a shame. People entering the market for the first time hear an ear full about Can Am and Polaris, and probably don't even see one ad for a Teryx or a Wolverine.
In any event, I'd probably not choose a Mule or a Ranger, but for totally different reasons. Mules are almost entirely for utility purposes, and not really intended for heavy trail riding. Rangers are a little more versatile, but they're made by Polaris, soooooo......
I'd look at a Wolverine, a Viking, a Teryx, a Commander, or a Pioneer for light chores and fun trails.

Originally Posted by WANG
Polaris are very good. As already stated, the belts hold up very well unless you ignore the operating instructions.

I guess the only people who ignore the operating instructions then only drive Can Ams and Polaris because everytime I see a bit of shredded belt lying in the trail in Moab, it says either BRP, or has a the blue north star emblem on it.....
In over 50,000 offroad miles, I've yet to see one belt piece in the trail that had a Kawasaki logo on it. Same can be said for Yamaha and Suzuki.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

The Teryx is nearly bulletproof, The suspension isnt that good for trail riding, but it is a tank.

Agreed. The suspension travel numbers aren't as impressive as some of the sportier models, but they still do amazingly well. And they are built like tanks for sure.
Check this video out. It's kind of long, but very educational about the capabilities of different designs. It's filmed on probably the most extreme trail in Moab. At least the most extreme that I've been on! Lol!
At 19:05, that line the Teryx takes is insane. It is so crazy steep that almost nobody takes that line unless they are in custom rock buggies. It smacks him pretty hard when he gets to the top, but it just kept on going!
https://youtu.be/m12GxPC9Y-s

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kawie_guy
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

The Teryx is nearly bulletproof, The suspension isnt that good for trail riding, but it is a tank.

Agreed. The suspension travel numbers aren't as impressive as some of the sportier models, but they still do amazingly well. And they are built like tanks for sure.
Check this video out. It's kind of long, but very educational about the capabilities of different designs. It's filmed on probably the most extreme trail in Moab. At least the most extreme that I've been on! Lol!
At 19:05, that line the Teryx takes is insane. It is so crazy steep that almost nobody takes that line unless they are in custom rock buggies. It smacks him pretty hard when he gets to the top, but it just kept on going!
https://youtu.be/m12GxPC9Y-s

I would love to ride Utah some day.. I live right in the middle of Hatfield McCoy trail system... so we have mostly mud and creeks.. and hills.

I am on my 5th SXS in 9 yrs.. I ride with every brand out there except for the new Honda Talon.. and they dont look too promising.

I currently have a 2019 RZR Turbo LE and i love it.. but my buddy just bought a 2018 RZR Turbo S and in 40 miles, it has broke down twice, had ball joints fail and is getting a new motor under warranty. Thats sad.

I am still waiting on Kawi to come up with a sporty 1000 (turbo) if so that will be a game changer.

I have about 15 friends that have teryx 800 and tbh they never really have any issues. I put 3500 miles on mine last year... but the boat seats and suspension were just too much of a toll. Perhaps if i would have put PRP seats and Bandit suspension it would have been a much better ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back