Kenmore dishwasher quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 24" built in Kenmore dishwasher finally quit after 21 years service... Any suggestion for a replacement would be appreciated. And thanks in advance.. Looking to spend 800 $ Canadian or less. Doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. Just a basic dishwasher...

Our Kenmore quit working. Went out and replaced it with a $400 GE basic model. Come to find out we had a wiring issue.
82 volts on neutral on that dedicated line. Just shut off the braker and hooked up a plug in for now....

Get a Bosch. The SHE3AR72UC model was the highest rated model in Consumer Reports and costs USD540. Converting to CAD and adding HST should still keep it around CAD800. They are very quiet and clean well. You can place plastic items on the upper or lower rack, unlike most other dishwashers.The only time we hear ours is when the water drains into the disposal.

You may be able to get a better deal from your local appliance store. We purchased ours for around 15% less than the online price.

Last edited:
GE Nautilus should last 25 years but it'll be loud as heck and be really simple in design.

We replaced with a Whirlpool stainless steel, not a super fancy one, and it SUCKS.

Happy with the family's and my other previous Whirlpool stuff though.

Originally Posted by NO2
Get a Bosch.

+1
This has solved all of our and my parents' household dishwasher hassles for 15 years.

Never hear any complaints from people with Bosch dishwashers. I have a made in the USA Whirlpool, we like it. It's quiet, does a great job, and doesn't use a ton of water like the old GE one did. Picked it up at a Sears outlet... Originally $750, I paid ~$400 including a 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
Bosch with 3 years of experience. Very quiet. Very clean dishes.

Had a Kenmore for 10 years that quit. Good but not up to the cleaning level of the Bosch.

Last edited:
Kitchen Aide was quietest one we could find several years ago. And it has a heating element to dry dishes...unlike Bosch which we didn't like and returned.

Another Bosch recommendation. First one lasted 14 years. New one (2018) is super quiet and really cleans dishes well. Use it 5 to 6 times a week.

What you're going to find today is that energy and water usage has been diminished. Consequently a vast majority of mid-high end dishwashers use filters rather than a grinder when it comes to handling food particles and some will not have a "heat dry" option if tub is entirely stainless steel. The filter requires periodic maintenance (monthly?) and a rinse aid is basically mandatory.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
What you're going to find today is that energy and water usage has been diminished. Consequently a vast majority of mid-high end dishwashers use filters rather than a grinder when it comes to handling food particles and some will not have a "heat dry" option if tub is entirely stainless steel. The filter requires periodic maintenance (monthly?) and a rinse aid is basically mandatory.

That's a shame because water is what cleans.. no different than washing machines that can't get stains out because they try to clean a load of clothes with 1 gallon and slapping the clothes around the tub.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Never hear any complaints from people with Bosch dishwashers. I have a made in the USA Whirlpool, we like it. It's quiet, does a great job, and doesn't use a ton of water like the old GE one did. Picked it up at a Sears outlet... Originally $750, I paid ~$400 including a 3 year warranty.

Then you've never read my posts on the other dishwasher threads, lol.

I HATE my Bosch dishwasher. Between clearing stupid error codes, trim/handle plastic that is unbelievably cheap and keeps breaking, and the fact that it just doesn't clean any better than a dishwasher that's half the cost, I simply will never recommend them. The only positive I can say about it is................it doesn't leak?

+ another for the Bosch. I put mine (800 series) in 2 years ago. Used almost daily. Nothing to complain about. Cleans well, is quiet, hasn't broken yet.

The idea that modern dishwashers don't work well due to reduced water usage or changes in the detergent is false in my experience. We had a Kenmore (Whirlpool) for a while that cleaned just fine and now have a GE that works great. We use whatever Finish or Cascade tablet type things are on sale at Costco.

For most brands, the basic guts of all their machines are more or less the same, so higher prices generally get you more bells and whistles and quieter operation. The bells and whistles are of questionable utility (do you really need more cycle options than "auto", "quick", and "heavy"? Are controls on the top of the door better than the front?) but a quiet machine is nice. This is generally achieved by insulation rather than anything mechanical.

We paid $580 for our GE but subsequently got a $90 rebate from Citi when a lower price appeared. That was cool.

It's quiet, works great, stainless interior, has heated dry (which we don't use, the rinse aid pretty well does the trick), and has both a grinder and a filter. The filter comes out by hand in 2 seconds for periodic rinsing.

Originally Posted by greenjp
The idea that modern dishwashers don't work well due to reduced water usage or changes in the detergent is false in my experience. We had a Kenmore (Whirlpool) for a while that cleaned just fine and now have a GE that works great. We use whatever Finish or Cascade tablet type things are on sale at Costco.

For most brands, the basic guts of all their machines are more or less the same, so higher prices generally get you more bells and whistles and quieter operation. The bells and whistles are of questionable utility (do you really need more cycle options than "auto", "quick", and "heavy"? Are controls on the top of the door better than the front?) but a quiet machine is nice. This is generally achieved by insulation rather than anything mechanical.

We paid $580 for our GE but subsequently got a $90 rebate from Citi when a lower price appeared. That was cool.

It's quiet, works great, stainless interior, has heated dry (which we don't use, the rinse aid pretty well does the trick), and has both a grinder and a filter. The filter comes out by hand in 2 seconds for periodic rinsing.

Yeah I kinda think they're all the same, I've had like every brand over the years.

If you buy at Costco, they include a free second year warranty. Pay with their credit card, and it's 4 years of coverage at no additional charge.

Buy a Bosch Benchmark. They're made in Germany and they're built like an 80's S-class. We have a non-benchmark and its pretty good, had some drainage issues

All right thanks for all the replies. Lots of good intell. Me tinks I'm leaning to Bosch with SS tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back