Do you use chemicals on your lawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 20 years ago we used Daizinon grub killer and then noticed no worms. Going green meant no grapes last year as the wasps/hornets ate them. We usually pick 120 lbs. Rodents probably got some too. Have noticed very few pollinators last 3 years which might explain why no apple crop either. So only using natural insecticides. Very few mosquitoes in the evening which is OK but it is getting scary whats happening to the insects.

Yes I do. Added pre-emergent as well last week. Once a quarter I apply Scott's feed. Our sod was laid in 2011 and in spring/summer you would think it was only 1-2 years old. Looks incredible. Mow 1 time per week and set my mower to 4" or so. I enjoy maintaining our lawn.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Americans are too focused on perfect lawns and monoculture. There was a time when groundskeepers specified clover seed mixed in with grass seed. Clover fixes nitrogen in the soil. Then along came chemical companies and told us how horrible it is to have ugly clover on your lawn.

I love clover in lawns.

I try not to use any herbicides (2-4D) or insecticides. Some of my neighbors have allowed their lawns to go, so I get the dandelions and crabgrass from them.

I will use some Scotts with pre-emrgent to minimize the crabgrass in a few weeks once all the snow is gone and I rake the lawn out.

I use milorganite and throw alfafa pellets on the lawn. Also use some fast calcium to balance Ph. I do spot spray the dandelions and have some Scotts I got on clearnance last fall for a few bucks a bag if I want to add some quick nitrogen. But have used the milorganite and alfalfa to feed the soil. Get the grass thick and cut high, water deep.

I once got sod webworm on a section of lawn, so I sprayed that, but more reactionary. If your always doing the 4 step programs your slowly killing the soil.
Mine is full of earth worms so that is a good sign it isnt a toxic waste dump, note I am not a greenie, just try to use some common sense.

I user the hose-end lawn weed killer. Attach and spray in Feb-March, then again in April if any weeds are still present. Super cheap and easy. $15 for two bottles gets it done.

The worst thing you could do to yourself and the environment is put synthetic weed and bug preventers on your property.

NO no no and NO!

Whever grows grows.

Two decades ago BONIDE Carpenter ant control almost killed me.
Now its banned as a nerve agent.

Now roundup is a killer - of course.

We don't even have to mention DDT or Malathion.

Wonder why you got Cancer? There's a big reason.

The fake golf course fairway lawn is a misplaced moronic killer fantasy.

You would think living in the desert it would be easy to keep weeds and grass from growing but every week I have to take a hoe and attempt to deroot green grass and weeds. The past two years I have sprayed herbicide it has helped but it has not stopped the growth it has not even slowed it down.

I hate using weedkiller on my lawn as I really don't mind the odd dandelion or whatnot. However, If I don't use anything, bindweed and goat-heads pop up everywhere in my lawn.

I avoid any insecticide. Putting down Barricade for crabgrass prevention. Then spot spray weeds in the summer with post emergent herbicide.

BTW - while Scott's is a well known brand the fertilizer is synthetic not natural and the crabgrass preventer is an old chemical. Both Barricade and Dimension are significantly better.

Not only that … Scott's is acting like they put gold in the bags … got the Expert stuff way cheaper with a shot of iron … and iron is expensive too if you buy the a popular brand

Originally Posted by ZZman
Today I applied fertilizer/crab grass preventer. I also applied grub killer.
In the summer I often use ant killer granules because the ants just love my sandy soil.

How about you guys? Serious about lawn care? Let others do it? Let it go natural?

Do you have pets such as cat(s) and/or dog(s)?

An estimated 25% of all dogs under the age of 10 die of cancer and 50% of all dogs over 10 years of age will die of cancer. There have been many excellent studies that link the use of lawn chemicals to cancer, such as one published by Dr. Larry Glickman (https://bit.ly/2JKa809), Veterinarian and Epidemiologist at Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine (https://bit.ly/2FHbxk5).

Are you a golfer? Have you ever thought about the chemicals that keep the grass pretty that are inhaled and what effect they have and I haven't even mentioned the effect they have on direct skin contact. Don't get me started.

smile.gif

Ed

I mentioned what I put on my lawn … but that's the two "curb appeal" sides … (on the corner) …

Without reading any of this … I have never put stuff on the smaller backyard area the dogs roam and do their thing … and they can put enough wear and tear on the softer round weeds by "zooming" around anyway …

I don't like using any chemicals but I use dithiopyr for crabgrass prevention and that's about it. The yard then gets milorganite on a regular schedule.

I don't even do much spot spraying anymore with all the stuff they include in weed b gon. Crabgrass can make the yard pretty miserable to mow in late summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back