Motorcycle Engine - First start after oil change question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick general question if you don't mind for you more engineering-minded people...

When changing your oil and oil filter, does the first start-up (dry start) straight after cause any more wear/harm to the engine than a regular engine start?

Asking for a [censored] who changed his oil twice in a week due to putting the wrong oil in (don't ask) :-/

The same amount of oil that always lays up in the heads and is coating stuff all over inside the engine is still there after an oil change. Perhaps you're referring to starting with a dry oil filter. Still no biggie, but you can always pre-fill the filter to remedy that if the filter fits vertically such that you can fill it and install it w/o spilling. I pre-fill the filter on my Guzzi.

Thx! Yep, I have a horizontal oil filter which I prime as best I can.

If oil is still coating some of the engine and I prime the filter, why does the low oil pressure light come on for a second or two?

Originally Posted by CT8
The insides of the engine isn't "dry"

I know, just a general term I've heard a couple of times.

No different than any other start up, but if you're concerned you can crank the engine until the oil light goes out and then start it.

I always pump the system up on a new build, otherwise I don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by Jenson
Thx! Yep, I have a horizontal oil filter which I prime as best I can.

If oil is still coating some of the engine and I prime the filter, why does the low oil pressure light come on for a second or two?

Because no matter how well you prime an oil filter, there is always alittle air in it until the oil fills the galleys. No harm done.

Originally Posted by CCI
No different than any other start up, but if you're concerned you can crank the engine until the oil light goes out and then start it.

Dumb question - but how would you crank the engine without starting it with electric start?

Originally Posted by Trav
Easy, just hit the engine kill switch then hit the starter.

Modern bikes will not crank over the engine if the kill switch is activate.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

^ This

Originally Posted by Jenson
Originally Posted by CCI

Dumb question - but how would you crank the engine without starting it with electric start?

Pull the plug or plug wire .

If you are super zealous you can put it in fifth (or sixth) gear, let the clutch out and spin the rear tire by pushing it around.
Wire a battery directly to the starter solenoid to crank it that way.
Start at the top of a long hill in neutral, coast down a ways to get some speed, then snick it into second gear.

Honestly, its all a waste of time, just start the darn thing!!!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That I didn't know, what year did that happen? That sort of removes a useful tool or at least on I used often.

I always crank the engine on the starter with plugs removed until the oil pressure warning light goes out. Plugs are lying on the heads and sparking. Just removing the leads is not a good idea as it forces the HT coils to produce maximum HT voltage which can break down insulation and damage them. Shorting the plug leads is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back