Running a fan to reduce humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say like in a storage unit I heard that just keeping the air moving will reduce the humid greatly. Anyone ever heard of this?.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Say like in a storage unit I heard that just keeping the air moving will reduce the humid greatly. Anyone ever heard of this?.

I would say - not possible

A fan by itself will not reduce humidity.
If the humidity is not too high, the fan will allow your sweat to evaporate faster, thus cooling you off, but in humid areas, the air is too saturated and your sweat does not evaporate.

Thats why there is the saying "It's not the heat, it's the humidity".
One of the things that air conditioners do is remove humidity, as well as cooling removing heat from the air.

There have been studies that have shown that when temps and humidity are too high (90-95°F+ and >80-85% humidity), running a fan alone can make it worse.

Originally Posted by blupupher

One of the things that air conditioners do is remove humidity, as well as cooling the air.

Air conditioners do not cool the air.

Originally Posted by KJSmith

One of the things that air conditioners do is remove humidity, as well as cooling the air.

correct, they remove heat from the air - - but for all practical purposes, we knew what he meant

Originally Posted by dishdude
Not without ventilation.

If you know of a reliable source of dry air, in Houston, then have I got a business venture for you.

Fine, they make the air not so hot.

Better?

And, depending on where you measure, they actually raise the humidity.

Originally Posted by Linctex

correct, they remove heat from the air - - but for all practical purposes, we knew what he meant

"Cooling" or "to cool" means to remove heat. When an AC removes heat from the air, then it's cooling the air. Just like when a furnace adds heat to the air, its heating the air. Basic simple terminology.

Technically, adding heat to a confined quantity of air with any energy-consuming device will reduce the humidity, because it is "relative."

Reducing the temperature until the relative humidity reaches 100% will cause water to precipitate out. This happens in an air conditioner. The cold air leaving the air conditioner, though it contains less water, is 100% relative humidity. As it mixes with the other air in the room the overall humidity decreases. The air conditioner works in conjunction with gaining heat from outside to keep the room from getting too cold and 100% humid. This is why oversizing an air conditioner will not work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back