Chicago drops all charges against Jussie Smollet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I realize this thread could turn political quickly and I hope it doesn't......but this is DISGRACEFUL with all the evidence against him.
We really do have a two-tiered justice system in America.

Those that can pay, get to play more than others.
frown.gif

It's here too...

justice isn't as blind as you think unfair justice taking a bribe cartoon satire.jpg

Last edited:
Lack of prosecution of hate crime hoaxes shows you that justice is not blind in 2019. They should be punished to the full extent of the law just like hate crimes.

There's nothing political about it. We used to enforce vagrancy laws in the past, before that also became unfashionable. Now look at California and Seattle.

Typical. Lived in Chicago for 13 years. Either through nefarious ways or through general ineptitude, Smollet walks. Either way is entirely plausible. It does stink, but what doesn't in Chicago if you happen to have money or know someone?

Originally Posted by pbm

You are just figuring this out now? I suspect most countries have a two tiered justice system in some way not just the USA.

Millions of Americans should contact the DOJ and DEMAND that Smollet be fully prosecuted for his fake threatening letter (mail fraud)…..

Originally Posted by pbm
Millions of Americans should contact the DOJ and DEMAND that Smollet be fully prosecuted for his fake threatening letter (mail fraud)…..

As I responded before I would not get to concerned about this case. One it is not worth elevating your or anyone's blood pressure and two just because Cook County dropped charges does not mean this case has been resolved. Also this case happened in Chicago what happened thus far is par for the course in Chicago.

Originally Posted by StevieC
frown.gif

It's here too...

I think there is more than money involved in this case.....Jussie has the 'correct' politics...

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by StevieC
frown.gif

It's here too...

I think there is more than money involved in this case.....Jussie has the 'correct' politics...

This

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by pbm

You are just figuring this out now? I suspect most countries have a two tiered justice system in some way not just the USA.

This. Just like our governor somehow can ask prosecutors to not ask for death penalty despite it being legal, or Brock Turner's sentence get reduced to only 3 months.

Last edited:
Used to work as a consultant in Georgia-- ran federal library programs in state prisons. Almost fifty years ago. Always struck me that CO's and their supervisors weren't very interested in rehab or punishment. What they WERE concerned with is that they were locking up all sorts of dangerous people that they were afraid of. I do think he cost the system time and money and that he should pay for that, but save jail for the scary ones.

Originally Posted by Garak
Maybe he has arranged some kind of deal to pay for what he cost the system,

He agreed to forfeit his $10,000 bond, but I'm not sure that covers anywhere close to what he cost the system.

IBTL too!

Anyway, the standard theory would be that there wasn't enough evidence to win the conviction. Doesn't mean he was innocent, just that the prosecution didn't think they'd win their case so didn't want to waste more money going after it. Usually they can just win by wearing down the other party as the other party doesn't have the money to fight it. In this case they'd have a fight. Probably something else came to light to weaken their case.

I've been on a jury before where I thought the guy was guilty, but there wasn't enough evidence to convict and the rest of the jurors gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back