Synthetic motor oil in a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

I've done a ton of searching, and much to my surprise, there is very little on BITOG about using synthetic motor oil as gun lube. Can anyone point me to a definitive thread on the topic?

If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of articles about people successfully using motor oil's as "gun lube". It works as good as most anything on the market. A gun isn't that difficult to keep lubricated.

Yep … I use old school squirt guns and 5w20 Synthetic …
guns, wheelbarrows, dolly, lawn mower, gate hinges, you name it …

Originally Posted by billt460
If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of articles about people successfully using motor oil's as "gun lube". It works as good as most anything on the market. A gun isn't that difficult to keep lubricated.

Thanks, but I've already done the Google searches and was not happy with the quality of the results. If the broader web gave all the answers we search for, there would be no need for BITOG.

For instance, there are many who claim that clean motor oil is a known carcinogen, and should not be applied to guns which have prolonged contact with skin. Some write, motor oil only becomes a carcinogen once it has been in contact with the byproducts of combustion. Others say, motor oil is damaging to wood finishes, and there are those who say, esters and other synthetic components can cause polymers to swell, or shrink.
What's the truth?

Last edited:
Here's another one,

Motor oil has poor anti-rust qualities, because it is designed to suspend water within the oil, which is only remove by sustained heating, which guns do not experience. Is this true? Google doesn't seem to have an answer.

Last edited:
I trust Break-Free CLP because that's what the military uses (compliant with the MIL-PRF for CLP). If you buy any FN Herstal firearms, their manuals usually call out the same thing, a CLP that meets the MIL-PRF.
I've been trying other lubes like Slip 2000 and Amsoil Firearms Lube, but generally I use those as lubricants and not as cleaners or preservers.

There are about a zillion products made especially for guns and they are hyped to make money. Handguns are real simple....if it slides, grease it, otherwise a drop or two of oil is sufficient. The type of grease/oil doesn't matter much. I'm 84 YO, been messing with guns all my life and reloading for considerable period. Haven't died yet from contact with oils and lead.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Yuk
For instance, there are many who claim that clean motor oil is a known carcinogen, and should not be applied to guns which have prolonged contact with skin. Some write, motor oil only becomes a carcinogen once it has been in contact with the byproducts of combustion. Others say, motor oil is damaging to wood finishes, and there are those who say, esters and other synthetic components can cause polymers to swell, or shrink.
What's the truth?

What doesn't cause cancer today? Once you proceed over the border into California, just about every product in existence will either cause cancer, birth defects, or endanger pregnant women, and or small children. If motor oil caused cancer, every person working at Quick Lube would be in danger.

Any oil will damage wood if allowed to soak into it. And as far as it damaging polymers, how many Glock's do you hear about that were ruined by too much oil? It's the most torture tested pistol in existence today. Using the "wrong" lubrication, or too much on one is the least of it's problems.

For 99% of this stuff you just need to apply some common sense. You have people out there who have used Mobil 1 on their guns for decades, and have never had any type of issue or problem. I have, and still do from time to time. You have others who buy every new lube that comes on the market. And nothing seems to work well for them.... Or so they say. As I said, a gun is a very simple machine to keep lubricated and rust free. It's far more important where and how much lubricant is applied, than it is what type or brand.

I've said it before. What constitutes a "gun oil" in the first place, it's contents, it's label, or if it's used on a gun? I have never gotten a satisfactory answer. The bottom line on any or all of this is if you want to try it, go for it. Nothing bad is going to happen to you or your gun.

Originally Posted by tc1446
I'm 84 YO, been messing with guns all my life and reloading for considerable period. Haven't died yet from contact with oils and lead.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll add that I have never had a gun rust because I used motor oil on it instead of something else. And that includes living with guns in Illinois for 30+ years.

Originally Posted by billt460

What doesn't cause cancer today? Once you proceed over the border into California, just about every product in existence will either cause cancer, birth defects, or endanger pregnant women, and or small children. If motor oil caused cancer, every person working at Quick Lube would be in danger.

On the Subaru parts website, 5w-30 is known to cause cancer in California, but not 0w-20!

i use leftover mobil 1 that i collect in a small bottle as firearms lubricant. only need a few drops, works great, no problem. i wouldn't overthink using any motor oil.

Originally Posted by Yuk
I've done a ton of searching, and much to my surprise, there is very little on BITOG about using synthetic motor oil as gun lube. Can anyone point me to a definitive thread on the topic?

SN Plus Dexos1/Gen2 oils in 5w30 will be the next wave for old farts that must adhere to home remedies for lubing their at-home arsenals of ecoboost weaponry. That way, their trigger assemblies won't fail, due to lspi. The higher the Magnesium level of the add-pack, the flatter the trajectory. Lowest levels of Calcium will help reduce carbon buildup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tc1446
There are about a zillion products made especially for guns and they are hyped to make money. Handguns are real simple....if it slides, grease it, otherwise a drop or two of oil is sufficient. The type of grease/oil doesn't matter much. I'm 84 YO, been messing with guns all my life and reloading for considerable period. Haven't died yet from contact with oils and lead.
smile.gif

when you hit 107 years old it will kill you ! I use motor oil for guns and if I get a new 1911 I'll use gear oil on the slide for the first few hundred rounds. That is my gun voo doo.

Originally Posted by Yuk
Here's another one,

Motor oil has poor anti-rust qualities, because it is designed to suspend water within the oil, which is only remove by sustained heating, which guns do not experience. Is this true? Google doesn't seem to have an answer.

Correct. Much better would be gear oil or ATF. Neither have emulsifiers.

Originally Posted by Yuk
billt460 said:
clean motor oil is a known carcinogen, and should not be applied to guns which have prolonged contact with skin. Some write, motor oil only becomes a carcinogen once it has been in contact with the byproducts of combustion. Others say, motor oil is damaging to wood finishes, and there are those who say, esters and other synthetic components can cause polymers to swell, or shrink.
What's the truth?

Not sure if we can know the truth anymore.
Seriously, sodas like Coke with lots of sugar or artificial sugar are carcinogenic material more lethal than a drop or two of motor oil in the gun.
We ingest sodas and a lot of process food.
We are soaking the gun in motor oil bath? May be you do but I don't.
So when we are shooting, the oil will just soak into our hand because it is dripping.
No, we are just using a couple of drops of oil and even then, at least, I will wipe it before shooting the gun.

Most of the time, we need to use our discernment aka intelligence when reading something.
There is always agenda even with search engine.
You can believe what you want to belief.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

Not sure if we can know the truth anymore.
Seriously, sodas like Coke with lots of sugar or artificial sugar are carcinogenic material more lethal than a drop or two of motor oil in the gun.
We ingest sodas and a lot of process food.
We are soaking the gun in motor oil bath? May be you do but I don't.
So when we are shooting, the oil will just soak into our hand because it is dripping.
No, we are just using a couple of drops of oil and even then, at least, I will wipe it before shooting the gun.

Most of the time, we need to use our discernment aka intelligence when reading something.
There is always agenda even with search engine.
You can believe what you want to belief.

All true, especially the comment about search engines! It's now a well know fact that Google censors gun results, so who knows what you're getting when you do a web search?

This is exactly why I came to Bitog with this topic.

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20 mixed with CLP for over 10 years now. I haven't had a gun rust or fall apart or lose accuracy.

Oh and I've been casting lead bullets for a number of years now. If I lived in California the State would be forcing my family to bury
me because I've outlived my life expectancy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back