How dirty is new ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the discussion in the oil forum about new motor oil with particulate contaminants and the risks of prefilling oil filters, I wonder how it is with ATF? Now I'm considering filtering the ATF before I pour it in. Any virgin ATF analysis out there with particulate counts? If indeed there's some contamination, how significant is this for long tranny life? Some transmissions have filters, others don't.

Auto transmissions are 'always' without a circulating pump, go figure if 'pre-filter' is a concern.

One of them is my colleague. He took the twelve quarts of synthetic ATF he was going to use and filtered it in our lube lab. He filtered out some debris, but nothing that would alarm me.

It is not dirt but not too long ago I found a drinking straw in a sealed bottle of Mercon LV
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
The stuff that's been seen settling out of new motor oil is not cause for excess concern. Just shake it up and pour it in. I am convinced that the heat of the engine and blending inside the crankcase (and everywhere else in the engine) will cause this tiny bit of stuff to get re-suspended pretty quickly.

ATF is an ultra-refined fluid and I would not worry about any debris or sediments in a new and sealed bottle of ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back