What is the best way to get rid of a squirrel?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Use a silencer on your gun.
I've seen it in the movies, works like a charm and it won't even awaken a sleeping baby!

Maybe you should price suppressors ($350 minimum) then rethink your reply. You also need to register a suppressor with the feds ($200) if it's even legal in your state to own one.

Set up a few wire snares placed on the holes. Use a rat trap nailed to the hole area but left open enough so they still attempt to get in.

Squirrels are smart. I was trapping and relocating them. They came back! I started painting their tales different colors. Took one 5 miles away and he came back in 3 days!

A standard pellet or BB gun won't kill them with a humane shot. Good luck shooting one with a .22 as they are real fast!

I shot at 6 with a shotgun from about 15 yards and the birdshot missed every one.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Squirrels are smart. I was trapping and relocating them. They came back! I started painting their tales different colors. Took one 5 miles away and he came back in 3 days!

A standard pellet or BB gun won't kill them with a humane shot. Good luck shooting one with a .22 as they are real fast!

I shot at 6 with a shotgun from about 15 yards and the birdshot missed every one.

I've killed way more squirrels than I care to admit to using both a .177 pellet gun or .22lr. A properly placed pellet gun shot takes them down pretty fast. I also took one a couple of years ago with #8 from my 500 at about 10 yards and it was like you dropped a cinder block on it, it ended up about 1/4" thick, was really wild. I've also taken one with the .308, though that was a tad excessive.

Originally Posted by wtd
I have a squirrel that keeps chewing holes in the side of my house to get into the attic. I have a box trap up there and have it baited with Peanut butter. It took the peanut butter once but did not trip the trap. Now the peanut butter never disappears so I thought it had gone because I didn't see or hear any signs of it but today I saw some new damage up on the fireplace casing where it had chewed a new hole next to the one I temporarily patched.

Here are some of the damage and temporary patches.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are you legally able to discharge firearms in your area? If so, a .177 pellet gun or a subsonic .22lr would work so you aren't freaking out your neighbours.

Originally Posted by wtd
The problem is I'm not home very much and have not seen any squirrels outside and the only time I did see it was when I heard it up in the attic and went up there and saw it run toward where the fireplace is. I wouldn't have a problem shooting it with a pellet gun if I could ever see it.

This just requires you waiting it out. Given the damage, I can't see why you wouldn't be suitably motivated
grin.gif

Been using these for 60 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1025-Small-2-Door-Animal/dp/B000BQQMJQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=315WZTI9VMYBH&keywords=havahart+squirrel+trap&qid=1553567298&s=gateway&sprefix=havahart%2Caps%2C1101&sr=8-4

Squirrels will also chew on wire and even make nests in homes with waste spots. In NH last fall there was a massive increase in all rodents due to a bumper crop of seed and mast. Called an exterminator to help.

Originally Posted by Boomer
CCI makes a fragmenting .22 round that runs around 760 fps. Out of my rifle, it sounds like a muffled hand clap. I have used these rounds several times to kill rabbits in my garden. I shoot from the sliding glass doors into the garden and my neighbors are never aware, even if they are outside. The fragmenting round is lethal to small game.

don't be surprised if the police stop by sometime....
get a good pellet gun that are legal to shot in the city.

I bought a Havahart trap to catch rabbits that treat my garden as their private restaurant. Haven't caught a rabbit yet, but I've caught plenty of squirrels.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Chris142

I've killed way more squirrels than I care to admit to using both a .177 pellet gun or .22lr. A properly placed pellet gun shot takes them down pretty fast. I also took one a couple of years ago with #8 from my 500 at about 10 yards and it was like you dropped a cinder block on it, it ended up about 1/4" thick, was really wild. I've also taken one with the .308, though that was a tad excessive.

Hence your nom de plume...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by user52165
Been using these for 60 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1025-Small-2-Door-Animal/dp/B000BQQMJQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=315WZTI9VMYBH&keywords=havahart+squirrel+trap&qid=1553567298&s=gateway&sprefix=havahart%2Caps%2C1101&sr=8-4

This is the trap that I have that I'm trying to catch it in. No luck so far.

Back