stuck grease zerk on my JD tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a stuck zerk behind the muffler going up to the steering gear I think on my lawn tractor. changing the zerk did not help. An older man told me to probe the hole with a sharp tool, and when is was warmer, I could grease the gear! I haven't tested to see if the old zerk is still ok, but I will. so, try probing above or below a stuck zerk and see if that helps.

Originally Posted by Donald
Most people would use a torch.

There is a tool that you hit with a hammer and it rams some oil into the Zerk to free up the stuck grease.

I have used this tool. It works if you have it on straight and have room to swing a hammer. Sourced on ebay.

Take the joint apart and clean the area as well as probe the hole where the zerk fitting is and grease more often.

I have always been able to free up greasable joints by taking the zerk off and removing as much of the old grease as I can from the hole left behind by the removed zerk. I had been planning on buying the impact tool that injects oil but never did because cleaning out the old grease has always worked.

Originally Posted by CT8
Take the joint apart and clean the area as well as probe the hole where the zerk fitting is and grease more often.

this is what i'll do: pay a little more attn to it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back