Poor quality Ford wheel finish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed a rash of Ford wheels with the paint / finish just peeling off? I see it all the time, from the Edge, to Fusions, to the Focus. I would be extremely unhappy if my new (few year old) car had wheels with peeling paint!

Originally Posted by gregk24
Has anyone else noticed a rash of Ford wheels with the paint / finish just peeling off? I see it all the time, from the Edge, to Fusions, to the Focus. I would be extremely unhappy if my new (few year old) car had wheels with peeling paint!

Mine hasn't.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by gregk24

Mine hasn't.

Good! I've noticed it mostly on dark finish and chrome plated wheels.

My 2010 Mustang had golf ball size chips peeling off on two of the wheels. The others absorbed brake dust that couldn't be cleaned off. The original color was silver w/clear. I had a body shop paint them gloss black.

2010 GT.jpg

I've seen it but just assumed it was due to the corrosive road salt here in New England. I've seen quite a few newer GM pickups with rust bubbles around the wheel arch already, which is sad considering how much those things cost.

Ahhhh but the rust is like an iceburg🥴. If you see a bubble the hole is actually that size once you clean it up. The affected area is actually 4-5x as large. The longer you wait the worse it is. Best answer I ever saw was clean it up WELL , fill with fiberglass bondo ( or weld a patch like me) then paint with POR 15. Then topcoat or not with matching paint . Then get a set of those plastic wheel well arches. The ones that extend over the fender a couple inches. That's about all you can do to keep it at bay pathetic as it is. That will keep the inevitable at bay for 4-6 years ...ª. Hopefully 🤥....... it's about all you can do in rustville unfortunately.
The real preventative is severe washing up in there regularly. If you look at the physiology of a bedwell you'll see a convenient place for crud salt and dust to gather. That's exactly where the box will eventually rust through in the exact shape of the metal support arch. Luckily some of them have gone to plastic in there which might help in the rust arena. No matter though as there are hundreds of places that trap and hold moisture laden crud under the bed of a pickup. All you can do is repeatedly flush everything well. My latest trick in 💩GM life support was spraying it with a hot mix of chainsaw bar oil, old Dextron 3 and a big tub of petroleum jelly . I've seen the wonderful job tiny tranny fluid and even oil leaks did on keeping the underside pristine here in the salt mine and it was impressive. You just have to take the time and remember to do it which few of us will.

The factory painted aluminum wheels that came on my 1996 Ford Contour and 2005 Explorer are just fine, no peeling of the finish at all. As time went on vehicle manufactures de contented features from existing models as they carried over into the new model years. Also they cheapened the quality of newer models. The interior fit and finish and over feel of quality is better on our 2005 Explorer than our 2017 Explorer. Though the 2017 is perfectly comfortable, even for hours and hours of driving, the over all quality of the interior is not as nice as the 2005.

Whimsey

Completely depends on the wheel. I've driven a ton of Fords for work and personal use, and the only alloy wheels I've had trouble with have been the ones on my 2007 Explorer. They are 17" wheels and the coating on them has not held up great. Granted, they are now 12 years old, but they haven't seen winter in 6 years and are still having problems...

My Fords, parents Fords and brother too have had no wheel issues. All f150's and one Fusion. I will say in the last ten years 3 GM vehicles have had wheel issues. Two suburbans and my previous Cobalt had very bad clear coat problems, the clear coat began to peel allowing moisture underneath to grow black mold or mildew. I can also attest to multiple bulb changes in the GM's, not the Fords.

The alloy wheels on the 99 Accord looked terrible after living in the salt. Meanwhile the wheels on my dad's 01 Camry looked great and nothing was ever done to them.

006.jpg

My 2006 Ranger has been peeling paint for years, both on wheels AND body.

Pretty disappointed in Ford's "quality", also worth noting that this vehicle is my fastest ruster. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back