2013 GMC SIERRA PICKUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Chevy version with 51k miles. '13 Silverado ext cab 5.3 LT 4x4 Z71. Trouble free so far. When I've monitored it, it seems to be in 8 cyl mode 98% of the time. Not much changing back and fourth.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I figure being last year model this body style the problems should be worked out maybe.

The earlier version of the afm had lifter issues even if you disabled the afm. I don't know if they had it solved by them but might have.

This is the last year of that gen of Vortec with AFM. There were some revised parts so it should be less prone to have lifter failure compared to the earlier trucks. Using a tuner to turn off the AFM doesn't get rid of the actual parts that fail. Best bet is to use Dexos1/Gen2 for conservative intervals.

Go here: silveradosierra forums and do some reading about AFM and lifter failures. It's something to be aware of but not afraid of. A guy at work has a 2007 Silverado 5.3, first year AFM in trucks. He's very casual about oil changes, goes to various quick change places when he gets around to it, couldn't tell you what kind of oil is in his truck. No problems after 12 years. It almost seems luck of the draw, on that forum some guys who really take care of their trucks have had them fail.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
This is the last year of that gen of Vortec with AFM. There were some revised parts so it should be less prone to have lifter failure compared to the earlier trucks. Using a tuner to turn off the AFM doesn't get rid of the actual parts that fail. Best bet is to use Dexos1/Gen2 for conservative intervals.

Go here: silveradosierra forums and do some reading about AFM and lifter failures. It's something to be aware of but not afraid of. A guy at work has a 2007 Silverado 5.3, first year AFM in trucks. He's very casual about oil changes, goes to various quick change places when he gets around to it, couldn't tell you what kind of oil is in his truck. No problems after 12 years. It almost seems luck of the draw, on that forum some guys who really take care of their trucks have had them fail.

It's a real small percentage but on this forum every issue will happen on each vehicle or at least this is the hysteria of some.

Don't buy that unless you know how to install an Active Fuel Management delete kit.

[Linked Image]

If you like, you can buy a 2014 or up version and avoid the defective AFM issue. The system was redesigned with a higher pressure two stage oiling system, higher bypass pressure in the oil filter and redesigned lifters.

My coworker has a 2010 with the 5.3 with AFM. It as 240k miles, no issues other than it burns enough oil to foul one spark plug now. It has done some heavy towing (above it's weight rating). He has always used synthetic oil but from what I gather he probably goes too long on oil changes.

He doesn't really like the truck mainly because of minor issues he's had and the fact that he bought it brand new, while his 2000 he had before cost him $5000 used and never needed any work, so he has no reason to lie about his experience with the truck. His main complaints are fuel mileage, the seats and the location of the manual window cranks. It's been a good truck but his previous one set the bar high for him I guess.

Thanks for the reply's. So if this problem did happen after I buy this truck how much would it cost me to fix it? I really like the truck and it looks like new. It has no warranty at all.

Plan on 2000 to 3000 bucks. It is really hit and miss. I know the Caprice has it but was built with the updates. Some Caprice guys prior to 14 have had the failure other are at 6000 idle hours and 140,000 miles with no failures.

Avoid unless it you can get a great deal and can do the work yourself. Honestly man, GM trucks ain't what they used to be. My family had all GM trucks when I was growing up and still do, but nothing really interests me post-GMT800.

It's a work truck: white paint,cloth seats and not a Z71. There are plenty of those out there, no need to rush into a truck that will sit on the lot for a while because it doesn't have the bells and whistles.

BS. This failure isn't 1 in 10 or probably even 1 in 100 or 200. If someone knows a failure percentage please post it. No need to put the money up front into the motor. Just something to be aware of.

BS. This failure isn't 1 in 10 or probably even 1 in 100 or 200. If someone knows a failure percentage please post it. No need to put the money up front into the motor. Just something to be aware of.

I much prefer the older style like the 05 I drive work work. It has 8000 engine hours and 190k miles, no major work. However the AFM issues with the newer ones are nowhere near as common as ford 5.4 issues.

07-13 *can* have lifter failures. The '14+ Ecotec3 seems to have solved that but then you have the DI and possibility of fuel dilution and intake tract crud. I've got AFM and DI
eek.gif
. Using Dexo1Gen2 oil on 5k OCIs and don't give it a thought. I also don't run them to 150k/15years either.

OP if the truck is really clean and it's a good/great deal don't be afraid of it. Odds are extremely high you'll never have that problem. If you do some day then the deal wasn't as good.

BTW, that's not a work truck, it's an SLE trim, with decent accessories.

Last edited:

Closer to about 3.5 per thousand but that 3 and half per thousands are very vocal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back