New truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Nice looking truck! Did Ford get the 3.5 ecoboost issues figured out?

Very nice truck!
The engine has been around for years, so I'd think so. The 3.5 Ecoboost now uses both port and direct injection like some Toyota's do which is a good idea. .

The color is called ruby red metallic tinted clear coat. The interior is black cloth bucket seat with console shifter. It has sun roof and opening back glass, trailer towing pkg, pro trailer back up assist, voice activated nav, trailer brake controller, LED Box lighting, sat radio, adj pedals, reverse sensing system and XLT power equipment group whatever the heck that is. The engine is the 3.5 with port and direct inj with 470 lbs torque - you can feel it even in normal driving!

As fas as Ecoboost issues go, my ‘11 was an early build 3.5 and the only thing it took out of the norm was an electric vacuum pump at 100k or thereabouts. Other than that it took oil changes, numerous spark plugs and air filters and the normal fluid flushes: both diffs, Xfer case, brake fluid, coolant and trans / filter. Didn't take timing chains or water pumps or even belts. Intake valve deposits must have been not much since it'd still hit 100mph effortlessly at 5600 feet elevation. I used Edge 0w40 instead the factory recommended 5w30. It was quiet as a mouse the last day I drove it. Like I said, if the new truck will do as good as the last one, I'll be happy....

HA! This sounds like me chatting with my co-worker and I said, "I like your tie...are those coming back in style"?

cool.gif

Ed

Last edited:
The power equipment group gets you the inverter (so you have a plug in on the dash and one in the backseat), the LED lights in the bed you referenced, and a power rear sliding window with defroster.

I love the LED lights in the bed - very useful, and it also turns on the LED on the tailgate and lights up the ground at the back of the truck - also very useful!

I traded my old truck in. Buying the truck, the discounts were only ok. What I got for my trade in was beyond belief. 4 grand over what KBB said it was worth and it needed a windshield, front brakes (never changed them) and the wheels looked terrible- totally de laminated finish. All that plus high mileage and 8 years old. Just subtracting the trade in value from the discounted price gave me a huge sales tax benefit. And of course 0% financing is easy to take too.
You hear so many stories " man I took my dealer to the cleaners got 15 grand off of invoice" or something like that - I've never been able to pull that off. The dealer threw in a drop in bed liner if that rates anything. When I got it home and started cleaning it I was surprised to find it had already had the windows tinted. That's one thing I don't have to deal with!
FWIW the dealer was very courteous and professional which has value to me versus jumping into a shark tank to get a little more off.

Yea-like several model years ago......................

Originally Posted by double vanos
I traded my old truck in. Buying the truck, the discounts were only ok. What I got for my trade in was beyond belief. 4 grand over what KBB said it was worth and it needed a windshield, front brakes (never changed them) and the wheels looked terrible- totally de laminated finish. All that plus high mileage and 8 years old. Just subtracting the trade in value from the discounted price gave me a huge sales tax benefit. And of course 0% financing is easy to take too.
You hear so many stories " man I took my dealer to the cleaners got 15 grand off of invoice" or something like that - I've never been able to pull that off. The dealer threw in a drop in bed liner if that rates anything. When I got it home and started cleaning it I was surprised to find it had already had the windows tinted. That's one thing I don't have to deal with!
FWIW the dealer was very courteous and professional which has value to me versus jumping into a shark tank to get a little more off.

Yea-I got $25,000 when I traded in my low miles 2012 GMC Sierra. Did get $12,000.00 off the new 2018 Silverado LTZ. That's the rub many on here don't understand-not a massive amount of difference between the two when you finance to buy a new truck-with resale being what it is. And they sold my old truck the first weekend it was available.

The only "lingering" issue is the timing chains if you ignore or prolong oil changes. It does like plugs every 40k or so but the initial issues were resolved with TSB (condensation) or with extended warranty (vacuum pump to 150k, IIRC).

Nice truck! Did they ditch the side Ecoboost badges on the new ones?

Last edited:
Love the color! Sharp looking truck. Those new Ford trucks are the best looking on the market, and that's coming from a Mopar guy
wink.gif

Last edited:
Great looking truck. Super Cab short beds are the best looking configuration in my opinion. When I decide to get a more modern truck I'll be considering these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back