My first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back, I machined me a filter cutter and I used it for the first time today. This was on my '17 Titan and had 5K on it. I replaced it with another factory filter and Valvoline Advanced. Looks like a filter to me!

IMG_2132.JPG

AAA+.

No gooey oil.

No hack saw filings.

No obligatory pictures of a gloved hand folding an ADBV with the caption, "It's stiff".

You, sir, are a gentleman.

Originally Posted by Kira
No obligatory pictures of a gloved hand folding an ADBV with the caption, "It's stiff".

To be fair there has been ADBV failures posted before. How are the people suppose to know "It's stiff" if we don't tell them?

Originally Posted by csandste
It's a little hard to see the media from that shot.

Who cares about the oil filter ... look at that bling bling filter cutter.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Kira

To be fair there has been ADBV failures posted before. How are the people suppose to know "It's stiff" if we don't tell them?

Huhuhuuhuh he said stiff

Interesting first c&p as coincidentally I happen to have a dealer installed Nissan 15208 65FOE cut open, just haven't gotten around to posting yet. It came off a 17 Rogue and I believe is the shorter/shorty version of your filter. It would be like the 7317 (topic) application vs 6607 (shorty).

After dissecting I discovered a flaw with the adbv, and it appears yours is exactly the same as I found when I opened the can. Before opening, when I tried to drain the filter by holding open an inlet hole or two, I noticed no extra oil came out. That is unusual ime, always get some oil to drain after inlet holes opened. I also noticed a bit of a start up rattle too, didn't think too much of it as ime 2.5L engine in past tended to be a bit noisy at start up.

When I first saw the adbv it was sitting convex to the base plate and slid down over the outlet flange just like yours. My first thought, the adbv got installed upside down and therefore wasn't sealing. That was until I tried to remove it and noticed it easily popped into proper concave shape. Looking closer at the adbv design it appears that's it has a narrow collar that's supposed to sit on top of the outlet flange and the baseplate is supposed to hold it in place. I suspect that as the silicone is very flexible and the collar narrow that during assembly they are pushed down too far over the flange. And then either the adbv is convex to the inlet holes, or with first use pops into that position and never goes back. Proof for me of an adbv issue, the new non-Nissan filter installed on the horizontally oriented application, no start up rattle .

Not my intent to hijack your thread, just interesting to see what appears to be confirmation of what I found with another Gonher manufactured Nissan filter.

Perhaps if you still have it and get a chance, you'll try to slide the adbv up and put the collar on top of the flange and pop it into the concave shape.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Interesting first c&p as coincidentally I happen to have a dealer installed Nissan 15208 65FOE cut open, just haven't gotten around to posting yet. It came off a 17 Rogue and I believe is the shorter/shorty version of your filter. It would be like the 7317 (topic) application vs 6607 (shorty).

After dissecting I discovered a flaw with the adbv, and it appears yours is exactly the same as I found when I opened the can. Before opening, when I tried to drain the filter by holding open an inlet hole or two, I noticed no extra oil came out. That is unusual ime, always get some oil to drain after inlet holes opened. I also noticed a bit of a start up rattle too, didn't think too much of it as ime 2.5L engine in past tended to be a bit noisy at start up.

When I first saw the adbv it was sitting convex to the base plate and slid down over the outlet flange just like yours. My first thought, the adbv got installed upside down and therefore wasn't sealing. That was until I tried to remove it and noticed it easily popped into proper concave shape. Looking closer at the adbv design it appears that's it has a narrow collar that's supposed to sit on top of the outlet flange and the baseplate is supposed to hold it in place. I suspect that as the silicone is very flexible and the collar narrow that during assembly they are pushed down too far over the flange. And then either the adbv is convex to the inlet holes, or with first use pops into that position and never goes back. Proof for me of an adbv issue, the new non-Nissan filter installed on the horizontally oriented application, no start up rattle .

Not my intent to hijack your thread, just interesting to see what appears to be confirmation of what I found with another Gonher manufactured Nissan filter.

Perhaps if you still have it and get a chance, you'll try to slide the adbv up and put the collar on top of the flange and pop it into the concave shape.

I noticed when I first took the filter apart, the ADBV kinda popped out. I wasn't sure how it was but yes, there is only one way it will fit over the collar. I'll look closer when I get home and see if I can figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back