Do you use oil additives or friction modifiers in your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a full can of LM MOS2 in my 02 WRX one OCI 2-3 years ago; now a half can each 5-6K OCI. Quieted the valve ticks some. (RT6 with M1 R4T for add bump; but going with M1 FS euro and Racing 4T next week...because [censored] not?)

Got a CPO '15 Outback Limited last year at ~19K miles. Did a LM Ceratech dose right after purchase with a 6k OCI, which really quieted the timing chain and cold start noises (also seemed to be a smidge low of a fill from dealer). Oil changed at dealer last week; did a full can (also seemed like a low fill) of LM MOS2, also quieted cold start noise on OEM 0W20 synth; will do 1/2 can per change going forward and a CeraTech dose every 25K miles (~2.5 years as my wife's commuter).

^^^^^^^^^

Also one of the best threads on here with UOAs on the car.... Simply amazing
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^^^^^

Also one of the best threads on here with UOAs on the car.... Simply amazing
smile.gif

I agree and looking at his recent photos, that engine inside is immaculate

I used an additive once,Back in late 70's I used an STP oil stop leak for a rear seal leak in my 75 gran Torino 351W. It slowed it down enough to buy time ( a couple of weeks) until I could afford to take it to a repair shop and have rear seal replaced. Since then NO additives for me. Regular oil has all the additives an engine needs. I use TSC travelers conventional oil and change at about 5K to 6k with no issues . Why mess with some off the shelf additive? I see no need to and no owner manual I have ever seen has recommended oil additives and my Forester and Sonata OM specifically do not recommend oil additives.I figure the engineers who design the engines know what they are talking about. No need for an additive,but for those who want to..knock youselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back