What is the best way to get rid of a squirrel?

wtd

I have a squirrel that keeps chewing holes in the side of my house to get into the attic. I have a box trap up there and have it baited with Peanut butter. It took the peanut butter once but did not trip the trap. Now the peanut butter never disappears so I thought it had gone because I didn't see or hear any signs of it but today I saw some new damage up on the fireplace casing where it had chewed a new hole next to the one I temporarily patched.

Here are some of the damage and temporary patches.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CT8
gun .poison, trap or predator.

Well, the trap is not working and I have only seen it once and I don't want to shoot inside my house and I'm sure it's illegal anyway since the house is inside the city limits. I'm not home enough to have any animals so I don't know.

Everything I've read so far says there is no type of poison that a squirrel will eat. I just wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with this and what did they do to finally get rid of them.

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by CT8

Well, the trap is not working and I have only seen it once and I don't want to shoot inside my house and I'm sure it's illegal anyway since the house is inside the city limits.

Use a silencer on your gun.
I've seen it in the movies, works like a charm and it won't even awaken a sleeping baby!

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by CT8

Well, the trap is not working and I have only seen it once and I don't want to shoot inside my house and I'm sure it's illegal anyway since the house is inside the city limits. I'm not home enough to have any animals so I don't know...

I use a pellet gun, as I'm within city limits. I've taken to plinking at any squirrel that comes close to my house. My neighbour had them get in through the soffits, and I'm not taking any chances...

Get an old fashion rat trap and bait it liberally with peanut butter. I would drill a hole through the wood base and tether it with twine so the squirrel can't crawl off and die in a hidden space.

Victor Rat Trap

It has worked for me. If it doesn't work, you may want to try an electronic pest zapper that will give it a 50,000 volt jolt that should drop it in its tracks.

CCI makes a fragmenting .22 round that runs around 760 fps. Out of my rifle, it sounds like a muffled hand clap. I have used these rounds several times to kill rabbits in my garden. I shoot from the sliding glass doors into the garden and my neighbors are never aware, even if they are outside. The fragmenting round is lethal to small game.

The problem is I'm not home very much and have not seen any squirrels outside and the only time I did see it was when I heard it up in the attic and went up there and saw it run toward where the fireplace is. I wouldn't have a problem shooting it with a pellet gun if I could ever see it.

IF it is the smaller red squirrel variety, they can be caught in the old style wood rat traps.

Originally Posted by Nukeman7
Get an old fashion rat trap and bait it liberally with peanut butter. I would drill a hole through the wood base and tether it with twine so the squirrel can't crawl off and die in a hidden space.

Victor Rat Trap

It has worked for me. If it doesn't work, you may want to try an electronic pest zapper that will give it a 50,000 volt jolt that should drop it in its tracks.

I will get some of those and try it out. Thanks.

The peanut butter has to be applied to something that in turn will trigger the trap. Old bread, a pretzel, or something along that line. It can be meat as well or even a carrot or other large vegetable. That should be set so the squirrel has to work to get the peanut butter thus triggering the trap.

Back