Duramax L5P UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I sent in my uoa to Blackstone labs in my 2018 2500hd, 14k on the truck, 5,799 on oil. Would have ran the oil longer but after having to add about 1/2 quart I decided to send it in to see what's going on. I'm a bit irritated it's using oil but hopeful it will stop after about 20k miles ( I had a gas 2500hd that stopped using oil around 24k miles). Anyway, here's UOA running Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40.

Screenshot_20181023-054515.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all,
welcome2.gif
Really really nice report. It would appear that the L5P despite having a greater specific output than previous versions of the Duramax is still a fantastically low wearing engine. Traditionally the Duramax has been easy on oil this trend appears to continue with the L5P. 10k or greater OCI shouldn't be difficult to achieve. What does GM call out for an interval?

If you have looked at some other Duramax UOA you have some outstanding wear metals. I see lots of the Duramax's on here with wear metals in the 20's and 30's. So what ever is going on there needs to keep happening. I picked some of that Mobil 1 up for my Duramax last year but I haven't used it yet. As for using a 1/2 a quart in nearly 6K miles well lots of people on here would be thrilled. Read more on here and you'll see what I'm saying. My Duramax is just using very little oil its a 2006 with only 74+ K miles on it now. The oil level just drops down a bit on my dipstick in a 6K OCI so little I've never tried to figure out just how much. Enjoy that new truck and welcome to the Forum.

Well the oil % was around 23% or so. I wanted to see fuel dilution so I decided to send in a sample. I've been searching this forum for L5P uoa for about 1.5 years with not much luck so figured I'd start my own. I was hoping the same wear pattern with the new dmax.

One thing to note, I don't really pull that often. I have an 18 ft big Tex utility trailer I use occasionally, but I use my cts2 to monitor boost and engine load and try to boost into the 20+ psi every time I drive it (daily).

For those wondering, I decided to do a break in procedure (although probably not necessary) when I got the truck:

First 500 miles - took it on some back country roads and loaded engine constantly especially up hills. Little to no full throttle pulls. Changed oil w/ Mobil delvac 15w40 and ac Delco filter.

500-1000 mi - started daily driving but still loading very frequently with more full throttle pulls. Changed oil and filter.

1000-2500 - pretty normal daily driving, still with loading frequently. Changed oil and filter.

2500- 5000 - less obsessing about loading engine... Still a bit though. Changed oil to Mobil delvac ESP 5/40 and filter.

I've switched back and forth a time or 2 from delvac Dino/syn but now I'm sticking to delvac ESP.

That's less than I expected. My Dodge takes 11 in the pan, plus 1 to charge the filter. I figured the new truck with higher tow capacity would take more.

Originally Posted by oakaro68
10.5 gets you to the top of the Cross hatch

Originally Posted by A_Harman
That's less than I expected. My Dodge takes 11 in the pan, plus 1 to charge the filter. I figured the new truck with higher tow capacity would take more.

Off topic, to compare. My 16 PowerStroke takes 14.5 with a filter change. If I change the bypass filter too, a full 16. Ford has to win something, let it be the "Most quarts for an oil change" award.

Don't worry so much about consumption my lml used 3/4 of quart from about 4k miles to 9k. It caught me really off guard. Since then...shes at 15500 now not a drop used. Its probly just break in consumption.

Last edited:
In no particular order ....

1)
welcome2.gif

2) Any Dmax, I don't care what generation, wears well. The wear rates here are good, but they are not by any means different from what we'd expect to see, especially for a shorter duration.

3) Which "Mobil 1 ESP" is this? Are you referring to the PCMO (I hope not). Probably the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP in 5w-40? Pricey stuff!

4) Extend your OCIs. I doubt you came close to hitting the IOLM limit at 6k miles, did you?

5) 1/2 qrt oil use in 6k miles is totally and completely OK and not at all a problem. Relax your posterior and breathe a sigh of relief; there is absolutely nothing to worry about here. Long ago GM had a statement out about oil consumption; essentially anything less than 1 qrt per 100 gallons of fuel used is OK. Most Dmax engines run less that that. You will likely find that the oil consumption will follow the fuel consumption rate. Towing will cause the oil consumption to go up a tad, whereas unloaded running will cause it to be lower. I've never really seen a Dmax with a systemic oil consumption issue.

6) These engines just don't care what you run in them as long as it's a properly selected API lube for the HDEO application (CK-4 for yours; or a lube that is warranted by the maker for that application ala Amsoil and others). They show no preference lubes (or filters for that matter). I mean NONE WHATSOEVER. You're wasting money on such short OCIs with such expensive lubes. And before you begin type the "It's cheap insurance" excuse, let me tell you that I've got far more data on Dmax engines than you'll have in your lifetime. No matter how much you wanna "Yabut" (yeah, butt ....) this, it won't change facts. Dmax engines show essentially no reactionary trends in macro data sets for any type of traditional input (brand, grade, base stock). It does not get anywhere cold enough in TX (even in the north panhandle) to warrant the "need" for a 5w-40 expensive PAO. I ran 10w-30 HDEO conventional Rotella T in my Dmax long before it was a popular trend. I logged tens of thousands of miles on that lube choice. From colder weather than what you'd see, to the desert heat of AZ and UT, pulling my RV up the Rockies, etc. I've flogged my Dmax mercilessly with EGTs maxed at the OEM limit for LONG uphill pulls. And yet with every UOA, totally normal (and excellent) wear trends. My point is that ALL Dmax 6.6L engines wear well, and your results here are not good because you used a super-duper syn; they're good because Dmax engines rarely ever have a bad one, regardless of what's in the crankcase.

Recommendation:
- ditch the expensive lubes and get any decent 10w-30 or 15w-40 conventional HDEO you can find on sale, BOGO, rebate, etc
- follow the IOLM
- do not fret oil use unless you're at a rate greater than 1 qrt / 100 gallons fuel
- don't pay for TBN; it's not been shown to be of value in "normal" OCI durations because there is no correlation between TBN and wear trends up to 15k miles

Last edited:
Dnewton3 - appreciate your insight. I've always enjoyed reading your post. I've been lurking around on this forum for years, just never posted. I run Mobil delvac esp 5w40. I got it on rebate back in August (although still haven't received reimbursement!). I was planning on running it longer but wanted to see if anything was interesting in the oil being that I had to add oil. Being relatively new to diesels, I didn't know what to expect really. Is a diesel more prone to burn oil than a Gasser?

Fwiw - I do tend to get better mpg with synthetic, although never cared to log over time and do cost comparison. I'm sure it's mostly due to the thinner weight when warming up though.

My dads 2016 LML has burned a little oil since it was new. Occasionally on hard acceleration you can see a light puff of blue smoke, not always though. It's not a problem, I just keep an eye on the oil level. We run the OLM down to 0%, which for him is about 7,500 miles and around 500 engine hours. I typically have to add around 2 quarts per OCI. His truck now has 37k miles and about 2,500 engine hours.

I just bought a 2017 L5P with 10k miles (400 engine hours) so it will be interesting to see how it's oil consumption is compared to the LML.

Last edited:
Hey I'd love to know if you have to add oil. I'm currently at 27k on truck and 6k on OCI (not doing oil change yet). I checked my oil level yesterday and it's registering half way up, probably could use about a half quart or so.

Here's my next sample. Just over 7k on oil and 28k on the truck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back