Natural Gas from Ohio Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/03/20190325-ihs.html

The Marcellus and Utica shale formations are among the largest sources of natural gas and natural gas liquids in the world, and their production will increase exponentially in the next two decades, according to an IHS Markit study.

Natural gas from the tri-state region of Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia will supply 45% of the nation's production by 2040, up from 31% this year, according to the IHS study....

...The 2019 study says the region "will play a key role in satisfying America's increasing reliance on natural gas, as well as keeping energy costs moderate. Favorable production economics place the Marcellus and Utica shale plays amongst the most cost competitive in the nation."

The study found that by 2020, cost advantages for the production of various natural gas liquids in the Midwest versus the Gulf Coast are expected to range from 6% to 26%. The savings are impacting petrochemical company expansion plans.

It's an amazing game changing resource but how they make money at the current price of $2.77 is beyond me. Even with last winter's pop to $4.00 it's still cheap. America is very lucky to have discovered this resource. Long horizontal wells and multiple fracking made it all possible.

You will not find many people in the three states you mentioned saying how lucky we are to have this cheap energy source. Destroyed water supplies, increased air pollution, fracking in residential areas and earthquakes are just a few of the wonderful things Fracking has given us.

Originally Posted by Reggaemon
You will not find many people in the three states you mentioned saying how lucky we are to have this cheap energy source. Destroyed water supplies, increased air pollution, fracking in residential areas and earthquakes are just a few of the wonderful things Fracking has given us.

Yeah, wells also ran dry. If the residents were compensated it would be a little different, but the crooked, incompetent politicians in WV are basically giving away the gas to the gas companies with the low severance.

So much ignorance in this statement that I need to go vomit in the toilet now.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/03/20190325-ihs.html

Natural gas from the tri-state region of Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia will supply 45% of the nation's production by 2040, up from 31% this year, according to the IHS study....

Curiously, this area is where approximately 45% of all Taco Bell franchises are located...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45

We live in the middle of this and are not having any of these issues … lots of good paying jobs though …

Originally Posted by 4WD

We live in the middle of this and are not having any of these issues … lots of good paying jobs though …

Yeah but those statements about how bad this stuff is for anyone keep getting repeated until it is believed to be gospel truth. Even if it can be proved otherwise presently or later. I lost my good paying lumber job over lies being told about spotted owl habitat being compromised by logging. Was no truth to it. But the 9 circuit court of appeals believed it and the lumbering was curtailed so drastically people were put out of work. The company was later sold to new operator and renamed. So went the glory days of PALCO or Pacific Lumber Co. Meanwhile the spotted owl is doing just fine and would have been just as fine if PALCO was still operating today at it's old capacity. So I don't buy into all this fracking stuff at all. I will not believe it because I am not there to see if it is true or not. Video of such stuff can be forged so I fall back on my own experiences and say baloney eco lies.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Exactly 4wd...

What fossil fuel is 100% clean and full of happiness?

One of the plants I run at work uses about $20K/day worth of natural gas. We pull it off an industrial main that runs at ~20psig and pull ~160KCFH or it 24/7/365. This is small industrial user.

JTK, I'll have to check what our rate is. I know we use about 8.5 MMBTU/hr per ton keeping nearly 750 tons of glass molten at any time, but since the furnaces are not my domain I don't really know how much that equates to. I suppose I could do the math or ask Google, but I'll just ask the furnace guy.

Remember when we felt threatened by Peak oil and were happy to have reserves inside our borders, protected by our army, and untapped for various political reasons?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

HK have a 9,000mile pipeline to Turkmenistan ... to have indigenous reserves is a great place to be.

The frac wells in this are anywhere from 5000' to 9000' below the surface. The few issues were due to casing issues, not drilling or fracking that I'm aware of. The average water wells are 200' below surface, occasional 500' max depth.

The majority of people who live in these drilling ares are happy with the economic opportunity & lowered gas prices. When prices were high, that allowed energy companies to build out pipeline infrastructure. Now the play can compete with historically lower costs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
What fossil fuel is 100% clean and full of happiness?

One of the plants I run at work uses about $20K/day worth of natural gas. We pull it off an industrial main that runs at ~20psig and pull ~160KCFH or it 24/7/365. This is small industrial user.

A large pipe plant just built near here … made possible by low cost NG

Dirty little issue about NatGas development is that the owners of the wells must pay the pipeline to ship their product. When the distribution fee is higher than what the well owner can earn on the sale of the gas it will be vented into the atmosphere via burning or in its natural state. NatGas (aka methane) during its first 20 yrs in the atmosphere is 84 times more potent than CO2 at absorbing heat.

There's a big lawsuit going in over this in SW Texas were a pipeline company is trying to get producers to sign long-term contracts.

Last edited:
I just read where Oakland passed an ordinance outlawing natural gas in new houses. The article extolled the virtues of electric induction cooking and heat pumps, powered by green electricity. The great chefs will probably have to go to reeducation centers to get their minds right about electric cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back