$99.00 Drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhting under $500 is usually cheap junk, and is a disposable toy. I hate how this is ruining the hobby for the people who actually enjoy flying airplanes/and quads, and who practice it safely and with insurance.

One of my friend gave me a drone that he was gifted. I took it out to the front of the house and practiced with it. All was good until I wanted to see what it would do . I took off like an F16 on after burners ! None of the controls or the return responded as the drone headed west and disappeared over the horizon. I look at the controller and tossed it in the garbage can as I walked in to the house.

Originally Posted by CT8
One of my friend gave me a drone that he was gifted. I took it out to the front of the house and practiced with it. All was good until I wanted to see what it would do . I took off like an F16 on after burners ! None of the controls or the return responded as the drone headed west and disappeared over the horizon. I look at the controller and tossed it in the garbage can as I walked in to the house.

LOL. Reminds me of my first experience with my son's 4-H model rocketry project. We didn't account for the upper air movement and our very first home built rocket shot into the sky and when the parachute deployed it drifted miles away, out of sight. "Houston, we have a problem....." Sigh. Decades later, we enjoy laughing about that memory.

Speaking of things in the sky, we have a very rare appearance today.....THE SUN! What a cloudy, rainy autumn we have had this year. Damaging to the spirit only, unlike the devastating weather hitting so many other parts of the country.

Have a good weekend everyone.

All thingsin time, drones will improve, just like the Wright Brothers, many at the time laughed at them,,,can we say jets now...lol

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
All thingsin time, drones will improve, just like the Wright Brothers, many at the time laughed at them,,,can we say jets now...lol

What's to improve?

Cheap junk will always be cheap junk.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Cheap junk will always be cheap junk.

Yeah, that's what the mainframe and minicomputer users said about the Sinclair ZX80 in the 80s. And what the film cameramen said about digitial video in the 90s.

Reality is, drones will be ubiquitous in twenty years, and most people will have a 'cheap junk' selfie drone to post pictures and video to whatever's replaced Facebook and Twitter by then. Assuming they're not just renting VR drones to visit places they don't want to travel to or can't afford to travel to.

Even now, for the cost of my cheap, manually-controlled drone from three or four years ago you can buy one today that has twice the battery life, an HD video stream instead of SD, and flies itself using GPS.

Originally Posted by CT8
None of the controls or the return responded as the drone headed west and disappeared over the horizon. I look at the controller and tossed it in the garbage can as I walked in to the house.

Fortunately, even the cheap ones are now starting to come with auto-return.

Edit: which, according to the article, this one appears to lack. Along with follow and circle functions, which I'd have considered pretty much essential for a self-drone. I'm guessing they couldn't include a GPS at this price, so they had to only include altitude-hold.

Originally Posted by Audios
Anyhting under $500 is usually cheap junk, and is a disposable toy. I hate how this is ruining the hobby for the people who actually enjoy flying airplanes/and quads, and who practice it safely and with insurance.

500 dollars on a drone is still junk.

Funny story, I have a cheapo drone, it's a lot of fun. Took it to the field behind an elementary school to get some fall foliage photos from above tree level.

Thing has GPS position-holding. I flew it straight up, it was holding steady. I'm like, dang, I'm an expert aviator!

But it was using all it had to fight a slight wind current, then the wind increased and I had no control. Plus it only comes down "so fast" so I couldn't bring it down at "panic fast speed".

Stuck it in a tree just 20 feet from the field. It ejected its battery, like cargo from a C-130. I held onto the battery and remote.

I tried recovering it with a wrench on some string as dusk fell. Threw the wrench up into the branches but it was mostly crashing down and nearly missing my head. It was a Pittsburgh wrench from HF so I wouldn't have minded losing it too.

There was then a week of wind and rain. I figured, hey, maybe it shook out and I could recover it. Went back and there it was on the ground! Guess the elementary school kids didn't jump the fence for some smokin and jokin.

Recovered the SD card, there was my video! Plugged the battery in, it still works.

These things are fun AF.

Hahaha^^^^ sounds like my first model airplane experience many years ago. Flew the thing too far away and lost radio control. It crashed into a stand of Cypress trees (think water) and we never found it!

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
https://gadgetbusters.co/sky_surfers/inst/p_us_yg3/

these could be fun..............

Wife wanted to surprise me, so she got it for me for Xmas. Granted, she knows nothing about drones. Sadly, this thing is a POS. It doesn't come with a controller, so you have to use your phone, and with many tiny buttons on the screen, you end up having to take eyes off the drone and look at your phone to perform basic actions. It has no GPS, so the slightest of wind blows it away and it can't save itself from it. Actual flight time before battery is depleted - about 3 minutes.

Now, these things go for about $40 on amazon. Not knowing, she paid a lot more for it. I told her to return it and ask for refund. She had good intentions, but this thing is a total waste of money.

Looks like you need about $300-$400 to get something even remotely decent.

I don't think that it makes sense to buy a very expensive first drone. My first two I broke in a month. This drone doesn't have good features, although not all cheap drones are bad. Here http://droneadvisor.tech/articles/top-5-best-cheap-drones-with-hd-camera is a description of 5 drones with a good camera and at a good price. Any of these drones are a great choice for a newbie. I'm really into drones, but my friends drive the drone several times a year. They really have no reason to spend about $ 1000 on it. Maybe your wife just wanted to give you a nice gift and didn't know how to choose a good one. In any case, this is her attention, which you should appreciate.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
10 Gauge, 3.5" Magnum with 2 Oz. of number 2 lead would make for great skeet shooting of those pests.

+1

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
10 Gauge, 3.5" Magnum with 2 Oz. of number 2 lead would make for great skeet shooting of those pests.

Destroying people's property is legal and fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back