Detroit 51 series 2 cycle diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Wonder if anyone on here has had experience with the rather uncommon 51 series Detroit diesel two cycle diesel. I'm a big fan of the 53 series, and just discovered the 51 series that preceded it. I'm aware that the 51 had no valves, whereas the 53 used exhaust valves, and that it expelled exhaust gas through a full loop scavenging system. I post this here because I've read they were popular in marine applications. Inline two and four cylinder versions were made, with the former being even more scarce than the latter. I haven't found much info on them, so I'd love to hear more about them.

Rare. Very rare.

They were not produced in large numbers, and over 99% of those have been scrapped decades ago.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I hear. Would be awesome if someone could get their hands on the original casting dies, or make new ones, and put the engine back into production on a small scale. Would be great for its intended purposes as a small boat engine, genset or industrial engine. I believe MTU owns and operates the 2 cycle division of Detroit diesel now days, rebuilding units and making new parts, but I'm not sure that includes the rights to the 51 series. I've read the 51 shared no parts with the 53, 71, 92, 110 or 149 series, so....?

Any 2-stroke Detroit needs SAE 30 HD or SAE 40 HD, and no munti-grades. It is due to the rings passing the ports and shearing the oil quickly. Actually shearing the VII's used to make the multi's. SAE 30 or 40 is all oil and no VII's so the engines are happy and they scream away for years w/o much help
smile.gif

Yes, a low ash oil like delo 100 or delvac 1240. No multis. I'm pretty well versed on the oil requirements, but in this particular thread I'm more interested in experience with this particular engine. I like the Detroit two stroke series, and I'm really digging this 51 series and it's simplistic yet efficient design. I think the two strokes are just incredible engines, and you can't beat that sound.

Am I the only one in the world that hates the non turboed Detroit 2 stroke engines? I hate the feel of the engine, the sound of the engine and the gallon of oil every other time you fill up. Hate, hate,hate.

Alright, since the 51 series isn't garnering a lot of discussion, do any of you guys have experience with the gm/Cleveland 268 series or the emds?

I love the old Detroits. Its all oilfield down here, tons of Detroits still in use in tugboats, pushboats etc, and no doubt,some of the best Detroit(53, 71, 92, 149 series) mechanics in the U.S. reside in this area. My cousin, who is pushing 60 years old, regularly flies to New York for Patriot Marine to fix and service Detroits on tugs as their is no one knowledgable in the New York area. There is no shortage of excellent diesel mechanics on Bayou Lafourche whether it be Cummins, Cat or Detroit.

In my studies, it seems the Detroit two stroke really shines in marine applications. I am particularly partial to the 6v53; there's just something a little different about its note that I can't quite put my finger on. I like them all though. I've spent weeks at a time watching videos and reading about them, mesmerized. I've never experienced one in person, unfortunately. They don't seem all too common around central Alabama. It's a shame.

It seems 2 stroke diesels do very well in marine applications. The Commer TS3 was popular in boats, and the Mar Del Plata fishing boats are still running TS3's after 60 years. Foden diesels were popular in boats too, and powered British landing craft.

Any shortcomings of the TS3 were made up by the sound, it's the best sounding engine ever....the sound of my childhood. The Foden sounded great too of course, but without the scream of the TS3 or Detroit. That exhaust manifold was alloy id I remember correctly...

And the TS3 - makes a Detroit sound tame.

Last edited:
One of my very first real jobs was at a marina where I quickly was trained to drive their massive forklift. Easily placing 28 foot boats 4 stories high, this thing was a monster. So incredible to drive, it even had a powered clutch pedal. 5 speed floor mounted gear shift and a F-N-R selector on the dash, multiple lift speeds, what a beast of a machine.

I loved it mostly because it had a huge Detroit 2 stroker and made wonderous noises at full tilt. We were told by the rep who sold them that they liked to be run at full tilt so we obliged!

They are rather compact too. The entire ts3 doesn't appear to be much larger than a small block American v8 gasser. They displace what, 3.2 liters? Would be an interesting engine to swap into a pickup.

Originally Posted by Red91
They are rather compact too. The entire ts3 doesn't appear to be much larger than a small block American v8 gasser. They displace what, 3.2 liters? Would be an interesting engine to swap into a pickup.

That would be very cool. I love weird swaps, a good friend of mine has a VW bug with an old Mercury 4 cylinder outboard powering it. So ridiculous sounding, and it really runs out. Even with a small radiator, fan, etc., it still is lighter than the stock VW mill.

That PU idea would yield a cool result I bet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back