Mixing SN/d1G1 with SN+/d1G2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any potential concerns with about a 50/50 mix? Got some SN/d1G1 I need to use up and can't find any more (of the same brand).

Last edited:
Depends really. Apparently a lot of SN PLUS with the same version hasn't really been changed. Mobil claims that all Mobil 1 versions before SN PLUS came out were compliant and didn't need to be reformulated.

However, when I got a couple of bottle of Chevron Supreme 5W-20 I made sure they had the AP SN label on them. However - it's certainly possible for there to be a change of formulation. I've seen that on two pairs of bottles of the same brand/model of oil.

Originally Posted by doyall
Originally Posted by dave1251
None what two brands are you mixing?

All Pennzoil Platinum.

I would have no worries mixing.

Originally Posted by doyall
Originally Posted by dave1251
None what two brands are you mixing?

All Pennzoil Platinum.

I wouldn't worry about it. Whether or not they changed the formula probably doesn't make a meaningful difference. Mobil claims that all their Mobil 1 oils that were API SN labeled were compliant, but Pennzoil doesn't say anything about their products other than they would be labeled API SN PLUS by May 1, 2018.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

Pretty sure that PP's formulation changed pretty substantially with d1G2, but it should be of no concern for a Pentastar.
What you want to do would probably be somewhat like mixing M1 and PP a few years ago...which is just fine for your application.
If you had a direct injected turbo engine...well, you'd probably still be fine with the mixing, but I'd recommend using the newer oil only as a safety measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back