comfortable seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any sort of measurement given out by automakers that'll tell you the length of the seat bottom in a vehicle? Specifically the measurement from the top/bottom joint to the edge of the seat bottom?

Looking at and comparing vehicles for myself. The Civic is up in July and the wife will have full command of the Taurus. I find the seat bottom of the Taurus to be small.

I am a bigger man and truthfully do find a lot of comfort in a half ton pickup. The seats are much larger and comfortable. I have also told myself to checkout a Colorado/Ranger however, I wonder if they're car-sized with their interior.

Thanks.

Having owned 3, nothing beats the seats in a volvo. I'm not sure what they do that others do not, but they have been incredible seats, regardless of the amount of mileage. All of mine were over 100k when I bought them. The F150 I have now may be a larger looking chair but it is not nearly as comfortable.

Ironically the cloth seats in my 1996 Contour, the GL model, one up from the base model, are extremely comfortable. We've taken that car from NJ to Key West many times and seat comfort level was extremely good. You could drive for many hours and never get uncomfortable in the seat. The captain's chair seats in my 1989 F-150 were also great and so were the split bench seats, 60/40, in my 2002 F-150. The seats in our 2005 Explorer are decent but the one's in the 2017 Explorer are also great for long distance comfort, we've driven that a couple of times from NJ to Key West as well.

Whimsey

As I have stated before I dislike Volvo's with a passion but their seats are near the top in comfort .

With my bad back seat comfort is a must and it seems no automaker is doing it well today.
I really miss the generous size and pillow top seats from my dad's Chysler New Yorker in the 1980's. I could be in that thing for hours and be comfortable.

Shown here: https://dxsdcl7y7vn9x.cloudfront.net/3/487572/10074632/880790063.jpg (Although it's the wrong year, the seats are the same)

I just find the most comfortable and most adjustable seat I can. The power seat offered in the higher trim levels in the Caravan is quite comfortable and it has lumbar support and I can position it perfectly.

Last edited:
Love the seats in my 2017 Buick Regal GS, feels like the seats hug you and keep from flailing around during aggressive turns, great on long drives.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
As I have stated before I dislike Volvo's with a passion but their seats are near the top in comfort .

Wow, I never would have thought.

I agree, Volvo seems to have nailed the target perfectly. A seat you can sit in for DAYS and not feel any fatigue in any part of your body.

Volvo is known for having very good seats. I'm not a fan of Nissan, but Nissan puts more emphases on seats than most auto makers in the Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Murano, Maxima, Titan, and Titan XD with the "Zero Gravity" seats they've been using since for a few years now.

My wife had an 04' Accord coupe V6 which she didn't drive much because she hated the seats. I would at least sit in a Nissan Titan before you dish it off.

Volvo, unless you are a shorty. Mercedes has Dynamic seats that are superb.

The orthopedic surgeon did a great job on Volvo seats. Lexus LX has great seats, they look unassuming, but are very good.

Your question is sort of akin which jeans fit best.

The only thing you can do is try them on for "size" so to speak.

Eg, my body type 2016 Volvo XC90 was nothing to write home about at all, yet Volvo gets so much praise.

I have found over the years that Mazda makes some of the best seats out of any of the more budget oriented brands. Otherwise I have found Lexus to make some fantastically comfortable seats.

Ford makes some of the worst seats. I always end up with a back ache any time I ride in anything with a Ford badge on it.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Lexus LX has great seats, they look unassuming, but are very good.

I really disliked the Lexus seats when we got it. I was anticipating more of a "sporty" feel, that's also comfy.
Only once I learned to really RELAX in the seat (with my head on the head rest) did I finally feel comfortable with the rest of my body as well.
It was like I had relieved all pressure in the rest of my body, and my body was "floating" over the seat.
Downside was that I didn't feel "engaged", like I was driving a sporty car...instead it's more of a lux car, pretending to be sporty (in more ways than the seats).
Strange, but true.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Ford makes some of the worst seats. I always end up with a back ache any time I ride in anything with a Ford badge on it.

Amen!

Volvo seat swap in a Colorado? Seem like a winner to me!

As a many time Volvo owner, I have to agree. Not sure what it is, but all of their seats are awesome. Ultimately though, I think you need to try the specific seats. The GTI and R seats in the MK7 VW's are great (for me), the standard Golf seats are terrible (again, for me). So it can vary not even between brands but between trim levels. Volvo really seem to be the only ones who've nailed it across all models.

Originally Posted by redhat
Is there any sort of measurement given out by automakers that'll tell you the length of the seat bottom in a vehicle? Specifically the measurement from the top/bottom joint to the edge of the seat bottom?

Looking at and comparing vehicles for myself. The Civic is up in July and the wife will have full command of the Taurus. I find the seat bottom of the Taurus to be small.

I am a bigger man and truthfully do find a lot of comfort in a half ton pickup. The seats are much larger and comfortable. I have also told myself to checkout a Colorado/Ranger however, I wonder if they're car-sized with their interior.

Thanks.

Go to a car magazine website and look up a review of the vehicle in question. There will be other measurements such as headroom, legroom etc.
Good luck!

For me the test is whether my back hurts during long trips, like to Florida.

These seats were comfortable:
- 2010 Nissan Murano
- 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis

These seats were horrible:
- 1995 Mercedes E320
- 2001 Mercury Sable

My 2003 Mazda Tribute had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've owned.
I haven't owed or driven one a lot; but new Dodge Journey's have really comfortable seats IMO.

I have a 2014 MAZDA CX5 touring and the driver seat is just OK. I had wished that they had put more effort into the 2019 seat. The 2019 has the beautiful Napa leather but, alas, the seat appears to be the same as my 2014. NUTs. Ed

My Sonata's excellent seats are literally the reason I bought the car, and don't drive my Camry anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back