5.7 Hemi...now with lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2013, I was thinking about buying a new Challenger with the 5.7 Hemi and the one I test drove was noisy as could be. A friend of mine also had a 13 Challenger that was only a few months old that he let me drive and it had noisy lifters as well.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by burla
What do you have to loose to run redline 5w30 for a run?

It's customary, when recommending a product, to get the spelling and capitalization correct. It's Red Line, or at least that's what the bottle of SI-1 (not SL-1 as some here say) shows on the label in my garage.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So Red Line, instead of redline.
Lose, instead of loose.

More liberal spelling Nazi's

GIV MEE A Frincken BRAAKE!! WHo givs a raats ars how somewon speals something on a oil foroum: Get a lif: you nut jobe liberals!!

Originally Posted by Mainia

It's customary, when recommending a product, to get the spelling and capitalization correct. It's Red Line, or at least that's what the bottle of SI-1 (not SL-1 as some here say) shows on the label in my garage.
whistle.gif

Lose, instead of loose.

GIV MEE A Frincken BRAAKE!! WHo givs a raats ars how somewon speals something on a oil foroum: Get a lif: you nut jobe liberals!!

Struck a nerve , eh?

Words have meanings and correct spelling says something about the person no matter which side of the P line you are on.

Originally Posted by Mainia

whistle.gif

Lose, instead of loose.

How this became a Liberal issue is beyond me. Spelling is either correct or not. No participation awards here, sorry.

I'm just giving Burla a rib because he mentions Red Line a lot. If you want to talk it up, it's good to spell it correctly. It's been said that I'm a hater, but I just poured a bottle of Red Line SI-1 into my tank when I filled up the other day.
wink.gif

My 5.7 in my Overland and 6.4 are quiet, no lifter noise at all, run various xw-30 synthetics in the 5.7 and 0w-40 srt pup in the Challenger, change them every 4-5k miles.

Originally Posted by VNTS
My 5.7 in my Overland and 6.4 are quiet, no lifter noise at all, run various xw-30 synthetics in the 5.7 and 0w-40 srt pup in the Challenger, change them every 4-5k miles.

How many miles on each?

about 50k on the jeep, only a few thousand on the SRT. on challenger talk forum very few comments about noisy lifters.

i have lifetime maxcare on the jeep and 8 yr maxcare on the SRT so no worries.

Two new gen Hemis here. A 6.1 with 110k miles that runs stronger than ever despite hard use on both the strip and the road course. No noises, actually very quiet.

5.7 RAM with just a hair shy of 80k miles, not a peep out of that one either.

Have you heard of an issue with an internal coating on 07-08 hemis in trucks? My neighbor has an 08 that lost oil pressure. It's in the shop getting a new oil pan and oil pump right now (had to remove transfer case to do it)...I'm not so confident it's going to last unless they at least put rod bearings in with the pan off. I heard it start up since the problem happened and it sure sounded like rod knock. Before it was silent even on a cold start. Anyway he was told they had this issue with the coating coming off the inside of the pan from extra heat like plowing (he uses his to plow a few driveways around here).

about 50k on the jeep, only a few thousand on the SRT. on challenger talk forum very few comments about noisy lifters.

i have lifetime maxcare on the jeep and 8 yr maxcare on the SRT so no worries.

The complaints about actual lifter noise is likely one or two out of a thousand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back