2013 F150 Ecoboost Oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by buck91
What oils are SN+ at the moment? Quickly searching it looks like M1 5w30 has Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 listed as a "Meets or exceeds" but PP 5w30 only has the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec listed.

PP 5W30 is d1G2 and SN+, they may not have tested to B1 yet...

Just a guess but perhaps Ford's B1 spec came about when they changed to meet the SN + spec with their oils. I know the regular Mobil 1 5w-30 meets the dexos1 Gen2 spec, SN + and now the Ford B1 spec. Maybe any oil that meets the SN + will also meet the Ford B1 spec. but data sheets and bottle labeling has not caught up yet
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by buck91
What oils are SN+ at the moment? Quickly searching it looks like M1 5w30 has Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 listed as a "Meets or exceeds" but PP 5w30 only has the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec listed.

PP 5W30 is d1G2 and SN+, they may not have tested to B1 yet...

Just a guess but perhaps Ford's B1 spec came about when they changed to meet the SN + spec with their oils. I know the regular Mobil 1 5w-30 meets the dexos1 Gen2 spec, SN + and now the Ford B1 spec. Maybe any oil that meets the SN + will also meet the Ford B1 spec. but data sheets and bottle labeling has not caught up yet
21.gif

Whimsey

I would assume that would be a correct assumption due to timing of both specs. Hopefully we get more info soon.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Doing more research, I am seeing that the SN plus spec has less calcium?

Calcium isn't specified in SN+, but it includes a test for LSPI mitigation (in a 2.0l Ford Ecoboost engine) so any SN+ oils are likely to have fairly low calcium levels. I think the worst combination for LSPI was high calcium and high sodium levels like RP and Synpower used to use. High ZDDP actually helps prevents LSPI.
I used to look for dexos1 Gen 2 oils only, but now that SN+ is out I feel like I have a lot more freedom as d1G2 only covered a limited range of grades. M1 10W30 HM is actually SN+ and is thick for its grade (12.1cSt at 100C and HTHS=3.5), so I might try it out this summer. Don't care about the 10W for summer use, will only use 5WXX or 0WXX for winter around here (especially because I ski and park in the mountains overnight).

That is what I was thinking too! I did notice a few samples of stuff like UP looked to have lower calcium following and close to the SN+ spec. I am now debating on the RGT, AMSOIL 0w-40, and mobil diesel truck oil in 5w-40.
Even the 5w will be fine most places in CO.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
That is what I was thinking too! I did notice a few samples of stuff like UP looked to have lower calcium following and close to the SN+ spec. I am now debating on the RGT, AMSOIL 0w-40, and mobil diesel truck oil in 5w-40.
Even the 5w will be fine most places in CO.

I have never had trouble with 5W30 in the winter, tried the 0W30 AFE this winter just for the heck of it. I do remember some slowwwww cranks with conventional 5W30 in my RAV6, but it always started reliably as long as the battery was OK.
Didn't have any super cold nights to "test" the AFE, think -14F was the coldest so far and it is warming up fast. I missed a -29F night by one day last ski season, and I definitely would have skied if I had been there...it usually warms up by a good 10 degrees around sunup and the runs are not crowded in temps like that. It hit something like -15F the next night when I was up there and I was a little disappointed that it warmed up so fast.... ;^)

Update: Finally decided on an oil due to availability and what I was looking for. I am trying Rotella T6 5w-40. From the VOA I found it looks like the add pack looks good and I will see how my truck likes it.
I took a 200 mile trip and so far the truck is smoother and quieter with the 40 in. It was around 30 degrees up in the mountains and a little slower of a start but not bad at all. got a jug for $20 from the local auto parts store.

For fleet use the 3.5's get the lowest bidder bulk oil 5W 30and tens of thousands of hours later not a single lubercated engine failure.

Originally Posted by dave1251
For fleet use the 3.5's get the lowest bidder bulk oil 5W 30and tens of thousands of hours later not a single lubercated engine failure.

That is good news! Thank you for that. I just know how "particular" I get with some things. I think say detail oriented is way too kind to say sometimes. lol.

My wife has the 14' F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I don't drive it but did manage to make a trip to Colville a few day ago. Its a 90 min drive and the engine never saw over 1600 rpm on flat ground under 60 mph. Limit was 55 just about the whole trip. Its very torquey and runs very low rpm like a diesel. Anywho I'm running 5w-30 Castrol Magnatec in it for now.

In regard to Ford new B1 Specs , most likely to address Timming chain wear . 1.0 , 1.5 Liter get 5w 20 945-B1 Timming Belt . while 2.0 & bigger blocks EB with Timming chains get 946 B1 5w 30 PCMO . Castrol Magnatec hold up pretty well in EB engines .

Originally Posted by Blaze
My wife has the 14' F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I don't drive it but did manage to make a trip to Colville a few day ago. Its a 90 min drive and the engine never saw over 1600 rpm on flat ground under 60 mph. Limit was 55 just about the whole trip. Its very torquey and runs very low rpm like a diesel. Anywho I'm running 5w-30 Castrol Magnatec in it for now.

Yes it does and I think that is one of the possible issues with buildup. Just like diesels, they love to be loaded up as well and people dont do it. I see the guys who are easiest on the trucks have the most buildup.

Originally Posted by LEADED
In regard to Ford new B1 Specs , most likely to address Timming chain wear . 1.0 , 1.5 Liter get 5w 20 945-B1 Timming Belt . while 2.0 & bigger blocks EB with Timming chains get 946 B1 5w 30 PCMO . Castrol Magnatec hold up pretty well in EB engines .

The new -B1 oil spec from Ford is to address LSPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back