Mobil1 5W-30 EP, 8317mi, 2007 Prius Touring, 98133

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Cut Open Fram XG4967 - 8,317 mi

Last edited:
Looks great, could have gone a lot further, at least 12k. Surprised to see no top-off at all...was it low at change time?

Great choice of oil. Maybe using that great stuff staves off the notorious Toyota ringland gum-up issues. Should do it. ...
Insolubles just a bit high. What oil filter? Maybe a Fram Ultra here (XG4967) would lower it. Motorking on bitog once said it gets out 80% at 5 microns, which nothing else beats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by addyguy
Looks great, could have gone a lot further, at least 12k. Surprised to see no top-off at all...was it low at change time?

The plan was to go 10,000 but I wanted to move it on with a fresh start...

It wasn't low before the change, it never is.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Great choice of oil. Maybe using that great stuff staves off the notorious Toyota ringland gum-up issues. Should do it. ...
Insolubles just a bit high. What oil filter? Maybe a Fram Ultra here (XG4967) would lower it. Motorking on bitog once said it gets out 80% at 5 microns, which nothing else beats.

Linked in the first post: XG4967

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by addyguy

The plan was to go 10,000 but I wanted to move it on with a fresh start...

It wasn't low before the change, it never is.

Linked in the first post: XG4967

Yes 10K would be my choice as well.

Nice report and very good oil.
Just question the viscosity number when a virgin. Did it sheer almost 2?.... ending up at 9..27
I thought the 5w30 starts out thick, around 11cst@100. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
Nice report.
The Jeep in my Sig was feed a steady diet of that exact oil for over 85000 miles before switching to the PUP...….at the time it was a cup of coffee more than the "regular" M1 5W30, but well worth it. I would not hesitate to go back to that in a minute!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Nice report and very good oil.
Just question the viscosity number when a virgin. Did it sheer almost 2?.... ending up at 9..27
I thought the 5w30 starts out thick, around 11cst@100. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Mobil says 10.6. Interesting the first sump of it was about 10.5, after that it is consistently lower than 10. The first run is an unknown oil from dealer service, we suspect it is Mobil Special, but unsure - all the others are 5/30 EP.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Mobil says 10.6. Interesting the first sump of it was about 10.5, after that it is consistently lower than 10. The first run is an unknown oil from dealer service, we suspect it is Mobil Special, but unsure - all the others are 5/30 EP.

Did you do a UOA on the unknown oil from the dealer? My guess is that it was higher because of what was left in the sump on the first fill, and some of that carried over to your "first" sump of EP 5W30, then by the second change you had flushed out enough of the unknown that the true viscosity of the EP in your application showed up.

I know it's slightly different (additives vs. viscosity) but I had moly from MOS2 carry over in high enough quantities to skew the next two UOAs on my Fusion a couple years back.

DuckRyder did right to not exceed 1 year by too much, regardless of miles. Changed at a good time.
That first dealer bulk oil was most likely a 5w20. Hybrid engines like this can run on 20 weights too without issues. .... Many hyper-milers in Prius's spec'ed for 30 weights run 0w20 with good results. I might use my 900 ppm moly 0w20 Eneos Racing Street oil in this 5w30 spec'ed hybrid engine, tons o' moly there for stop-start protection and boundary lubrication in spades.

DuckRyder did right to not exceed 1 year by too much, regardless of miles. Changed at a good time.
That first dealer bulk oil was most likely a 5w20. Hybrid engines like this can run on 20 weights too without issues. .... Many hyper-milers in Prius's spec'ed for 30 weights run 0w20 with good results. I might use my 900 ppm moly 0w20 Eneos Racing Street oil in this 5w30 spec'ed hybrid engine, tons o' moly there for stop-start protection and boundary lubrication in spades.

If that's the case, then no sheering at all.

From what I've read, all these SN Plus Dex1/G2 oils are built not to sheer hardly any at-all... 5w20/30s. If they do sheer +1, then generally the suspect is dilution.

Last edited:
Good oil but great engine as well. I've said this numerous times the engine type is often the biggest factor in what a UOA will look like and how far an oil can go. Since I've been on this site Toyota engines just show low wear. GM engines on the other hand tend to spit out more wear metals, not that is necessarily a bad thing, but simply a characteristic of their engines.

Originally Posted by buster
Good oil but great engine as well. I've said this numerous times the engine type is often the biggest factor in what a UOA will look like and how far an oil can go. Since I've been on this site Toyota engines just show low wear. GM engines on the other hand tend to spit out more wear metals, not that is necessarily a bad thing, but simply a characteristic of their engines.

Keep in mind the gas engine on the Prius doesn't work hard. The electric motor does all the hard work including accelerating.

Originally Posted by stanlee
. . .

Keep in mind the gas engine on the Prius doesn't work hard. The electric motor does all the hard work including accelerating.

That's "kinda mostly" true. The ICE does a pretty good amount of work too, but it is, in effect, shielded from constant, heavy loading by the work of the electric motors. That said, when the drive battery is in a very low state of charge, the ICE cuts in heavy and carries the load. You don't need any instruments to tell when this is happening -- you can hear and feel it. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all that often. Even less, in my experience, in the newer Prius.

Also remember that non-hybird Toyota engines typically show very low wear metals in UOA. I've seen this in the 1MZ (V-6 Camry), the 2UZ (Gen-1 Sequoia) and 2GR (wife's current Avalon). It's just what they do. . .

=============================================

The 1NZ engine was officially "back spec-ed" for 0w-20 as well, further suggesting that there'll be no problems using 20 wt in the older Priuses. I never got around to trying it in mine before I retired it (for reasons unrelated to the engine and its health...).

As far as "stop-start" protection is concerned, these engines are probably less vulnerable than you might expect. The system in effect "pre-oils" the ICE every time it restarts. The motor-generator that acts as the starter (these cars have no separate, traditional "starter motor" at all) actually spins the engine up a split-second before providing fuel and spark, so full or near-full oil pressure is present before the engine is under any load.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
=============================================

The 1NZ engine was officially "back spec-ed" for 0w-20 as well, further suggesting that there'll be no problems using 20 wt in the older Priuses. I never got around to trying it in mine before I retired it (for reasons unrelated to the engine and its health...).

According to my conversation with Toyota USA this is not correct where the second generation Prius in concerned. In the United States it is not officially back spec'ed.

I posted about this a while back.

In the United States the second generation Prius is spec'ed for 5/30 Conventional @ 5000 miles.

In other news, this one has moved on. A gentleman was in the Atlanta area looking at Prius at dealers and decided to take a look at mine after having no success, took one look at it and a deal was made.

He said it will be his 7th.

When he saw the oil reports he said "Dang, you know more about the oil than I know about the water at my house"...
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back