Mazda SkyActiv 2.5 Turbo...what oil?

Originally Posted by Ws6
I chose to go with M1 5-30 EP. I did not feel the Annual formula was worth $7 more given my plan of a 5k mile service interval.

You cannot go wrong with that choice.

Hmmm...Mazda recommends Castrol, and I'm seeing this:
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6BD5DE4872AB5E8B80257E7D006877B9/$File/BPXE-9C77UN.pdf

Independent testing has proven EDGE Extended
Performance is stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown - the ultimate test of
strength.*
* Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278
and CEC-L-14 independent testing

They basically have the same certs, with the Castrol having Mazda's blessing. Thoughts? Is the Castrol product better, or even equivalent to the Mobil 1 EP product?

Originally Posted by Ws6
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6BD5DE4872AB5E8B80257E7D006877B9/$File/BPXE-9C77UN.pdf

Performance is stronger than Mobil 1 Extended Performance against viscosity breakdown - the ultimate test of
strength.*
* Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 was proven stronger against viscosity breakdown based on ASTM 6278

They basically have the same certs, with the Castrol having Mazda's blessing. Thoughts? Is the Castrol product better, or even equivalent to the Mobil 1 EP product?

Castrol pays Mazda to get that bit of advertising. If you are in Europe, Total is the recommendation.

That EP is a excellent oil. You can run with any major brand for that matter.

Originally Posted by Ws6

strength.*

I do not believe they have the same certs. Castrol Edge EP does not have the Dexos1 Gen2 cert. It's why I removed it from my Walmart shopping basket and replaced it with Castrol Edge Black.
I don't buy any 5W30 oil without both SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2 on the label. Call me Anal, if that makes you feel better.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Ws6

strength.*

I do not believe they have the same certs. Castrol Edge EP does not have the Dexos1 Gen2 cert. It's why I removed it from my Walmart shopping basket and replaced it with Castrol Edge Black.
I don't buy any 5W30 oil without both SN Plus and Dexos1 Gen2 on the label. Call me Anal, if that makes you feel better.

Says it is on the black bottle. Odd
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...l-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-30

Last edited:
What is the best 5-30 for combatting valve deposit, fuel diltion, etc?
Hey There! Didn't see a good answer any where. But, if you were to take your car to the local Mazda, they will put in conventional 5w30 (Idemitsu brand) oil as per the factory specs. Because dealers are also franchises, the parts/service management can also have other brands on hand. At the Mazda dealer I work for, we also have on hand Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

I'm with the change the oil more often club, especially for a turbo DI, high compression engine. Use the highest octane fuel you can too.

Hey There! Didn't see a good answer any where. But, if you were to take your car to the local Mazda, they will put in conventional 5w30 (Idemitsu brand) oil as per the factory specs. Because dealers are also franchises, the parts/service management can also have other brands on hand. At the Mazda dealer I work for, we also have on hand Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.
I've been using m1 5-30 EP. My mazda dealer uses Castrol per mazda recommended. I prefer the m1. I've always felt engines outlast the rest of the car.

Total Quartz INEO MC3: 5W-30, ACEA C3, SN+ (for LSPI protection), 3.5 HTHS (to combat dilution).

I‘m interested in oils of this class with HTHS of around 3.5 for my wife’s Civic 1.5T, since Ill be tuning it to +30 HP/+60 LB-FT over stock.

First I’ll probably run M1 ESP 5W-30, since I know it’s a great oil and I can get it on sale at NAPA right now.

What does that oil sell for?

M1 ESP 5W30. I have this in my 2.0 skyactiv-g miata and it loves the higher HTHS at the top of the rev range. They spec 0w20 originally for this car, but I won't be using that going forward.

I am currently running Castrol Edge 5W-30 in my 2019 Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. After a lot of reading here on BITOG I have decided that my next oil change will be to Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 as it has a lower sulfated ash content which seems to be important with direct injected turbocharged engines. As much as I would like to go 10,000 miles or even 7500 miles between oil changes, I will do them at 5000 miles. And I only run top tier 91 octane gas, the highest available in California.
I am pretty confident that those choices will keep the engine and intake system clean for a long long time. The Skyactiv 2.5L turbo engine is proving to be a good one and deserves the best oil and fuel type..

I think the EP 0w20 is likely a better choice for most longer drains than ESP. The SA is the same for both at .8, however, it appears what separates ESP from EP is a more shear stable viscosity modifier.

I think the EP 0w20 is likely a better choice for most longer drains than ESP. The SA is the same for both at .8, however, it appears what separates ESP from EP is a more shear stable viscosity modifier.
I think its sufficient for "normal" drain ~10kish vs the previous "ESP Formula" with the SA of .6. For the 5w30 variant its HTHS of 3.5 vs M1 EP 5w30 HTHS ~3, which I like. Not sure about 0w20 as I was unaware there was an ESP version.

Glad I found this thread. I'm looking at a 2021 Mazda 3 2.5S for my son. I downloaded a 2020 user manual and it states use 0w20 if you drive the car in the USA and Canada, 5w-30 if driven in Mexico??

Here's the details (as if it could not get more strange)
USA/Canada: use ILSAC GF-V or higher/ SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mexico: use API SM or higher, or ILSAC GF-IV or higher/SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

So the consensus here is a good quality API SM 5w-30 will be fine?

Use the latest spec 0w20 you can find. SN+ or SP will be fine.
Thanks. I'm confused because the manual seems to say both grades are acceptable. I just bought a 2020 Jetta and that one states specifically to use VW508 which is a 0w-20 so I won't deviate.

I'm just an old school 5w-40, 5w-30 guy and like a lot of us oil veterans, it's just difficult to adjust to using such a low viscosity oil. Some say the thinner oil is s tradeoff for better mileage at the expense of a little less engine protection. But then again, I usually put around 100,000 to 150,000 miles on a vehicle before trading, so it may be a moot point. Anyhow, seriously considering the Mazda 3 2.5S

Thanks. I'm confused because the manual seems to say both grades are acceptable. I just bought a 2020 Jetta and that one states specifically to use VW508 which is a 0w-20 so I won't deviate.

I'm just an old school 5w-40, 5w-30 guy and like a lot of us oil veterans, it's just difficult to adjust to using such a low viscosity oil. Some say the thinner oil is s tradeoff for better mileage at the expense of a little less engine protection. But then again, I usually put around 100,000 to 150,000 miles on a vehicle before trading, so it may be a moot point. Anyhow, seriously considering the Mazda 3 2.5S

Like you I had always ran 30 grade in my vehicles. My 2017 CX5 is the first new car I’ve gotten since 2000 and a lot has changed and along with it the use of 0w20. So far I have experienced nothing but a smooth running engine. The latest info on these newer SP/GF6 oils is very impressive.

Glad I found this thread. I'm looking at a 2021 Mazda 3 2.5S for my son. I downloaded a 2020 user manual and it states use 0w20 if you drive the car in the USA and Canada, 5w-30 if driven in Mexico??

Here's the details (as if it could not get more strange)
USA/Canada: use ILSAC GF-V or higher/ SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mexico: use API SM or higher, or ILSAC GF-IV or higher/SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

So the consensus here is a good quality API SM 5w-30 will be fine?
This thread is for the 2.5 TURBO, which requires 5w-30 not 0w-20.

Back