Mobil 1 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
You can even run a 5/30. It's all about CAFE. Guaranteed they don't run 0/16 over seas

Japan has been running 0W-16 since the 90's.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor-oil/articles/oe-0w-16-light-and-strong/

"Japanese engineers have long experimented with ultra-thin motor oils, and 0W-16 has been in regular use in Japan since the 90s."

And as we've discussed ad nauseum, they were doing it for THEIR version of CAFE/CO2 emissions

In a market where 100,00 mile life is not only an anomoly, it's legislated against

But you keep forgetting those conversations...obviously.

Originally Posted by billt460
You can even run a 5/30. It's all about CAFE. Guaranteed they don't run 0/16 over seas

Japan has been running 0W-16 since the 90's.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor-oil/articles/oe-0w-16-light-and-strong/

"Japanese engineers have long experimented with ultra-thin motor oils, and 0W-16 has been in regular use in Japan since the 90s."

0W16 works well in Japan because citizens there cannot drive very far, without ending up in water.

I know! I'm working on my my jokes this morning.

Originally Posted by Shannow
.....But you keep forgetting those conversations...obviously.

He said they're not running 0W-16 overseas, period. They are running it. You want to argue why. I'm just pointing out the fact it's being run, and has been for decades, when he said it wasn't and isn't. Again you're trying to start an argument that isn't there.

Great posts in this thread. I think people tend to think of viscosity in absolute terms, which it is in a sense, but at the same time you're dealing chemistry and engineering so it's more complicated than most realize. It's like a hand in glove fit. There are different engine types, conditions, driving conditions, metallurgy, climates, newer additives, usage,economics etc. that all factor into this viscosity dilemma most people struggle with. If a company can find a way to use a less expensive ingredient whether that be an additive or base oil and still make it work they are going to use it LOL.

Mobi uses PAO in varying quantities, almost like an addive, depending on the demands needed for a particular performance parameter.

But going back to the OP, it's great to have this M1 0w16 option readily available knowing it's PAO based. Incredible value readily available.

. . .
You can even run a 5/30. It's all about CAFE. Guaranteed they don't run 0/16 over seas (emphasis added).
Of course it's "all about" Corporate Average Fuel Economy. And? Incidentally, are you issuing the same "guarantee" regarding THIS grade?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Just so we are on the same page, you saw these two documents, both of which show 60-70% PAO?

No. The site would only give me 2018 docs. They show different things for both products.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Wondering about consumption. The 2.5 can have a drinking problem with 0w20.

I thought that was due to defective rings, not the oil?

Originally Posted by bulwnkl

Just so we are on the same page, you saw these two documents, both of which show 60-70% PAO?

No. The site would only give me 2018 docs. They show different things for both products.

Are you sure you were using the right site?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Wondering about consumption. The 2.5 can have a drinking problem with 0w20.

I thought that was due to defective rings, not the oil?

I'm not sure why the 2.5 consumes oil. The 2.5 was supposed to be the answer to the problems with the 2.4 consuming oil. But whatever the reason it's going to consume a lot more of 0w 16 than it would 0w 20 or 5w 30.

. . .
I'm not sure why the 2.5 consumes oil. The 2.5 was supposed to be the answer to the problems with the 2.4 consuming oil. But whatever the reason it's going to consume a lot more of 0w 16 than it would 0w 20 or 5w 30.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that. We've already seen from the MSDS information available that EM is using very high quality base oil mixtures. Assuming the Noack rating and flash point are well-controlled in the final product, an engine that's compatible with this grade may not see much, if any, consumption. Obviously, consumption can result from many factors other than the viscosity of the particular oil.

... But whatever the reason it's going to consume a lot more of 0w 16 than it would 0w 20 ...
Besides what ekpolk said, there's not a lot of difference in viscosity, so why should there be a lot more consumption of 0W-16?

I know only that I went to whatever page XOM's site sent me to, and looked at only N. American market SDSes.

This exchange, if good for nothing else, reminds us all with perfect clarity that a particular name on the bottle means zip as to what's inside, and further that even knowing what's inside today (or what was inside yesterday) tells you zip about what'll be there tomorrow.

I know only that I went to whatever page XOM's site sent me to, and looked at only N. American market SDSes.

This exchange, if good for nothing else, reminds us all with perfect clarity that a particular name on the bottle means zip as to what's inside, and further that even knowing what's inside today (or what was inside yesterday) tells you zip about what'll be there tomorrow.

lol.gif

True, they certainly can and do change. IIRC, the EP product has been pretty static since its debut however, so that should provide at least some comfort?
grin.gif

Just went and searched again. From this page:
https://www.exxonmobil.com/sds
I type "0w20" into the search bar and tell it to search. The results list has eight 0w20 products. Two of those are listed as "Mobil 1 0w20," with no further name or qualifier. They link to the same SDS, which shows 30-40% PAO and 30-40% G-III.

The EP sds there today is the 2017 one already linked here. No idea where the ‘18 one I got the other day is or went or even came from.

I'm sticking with a story along the lines of:
No one is telling what's in the bottle, and if you think you know, you're wrong most of the time. If not today, then tomorrow. ;-)

I type "0w20" into the search bar and tell it to search. The results list has eight 0w20 products. Two of those are listed as "Mobil 1 0w20," with no further name or qualifier. They link to the same SDS, which shows 30-40% PAO and 30-40% G-III.

The EP sds there today is the 2017 one already linked here. No idea where the ‘18 one I got the other day is or went or even came from.

No one is telling what's in the bottle, and if you think you know, you're wrong most of the time. If not today, then tomorrow. ;-)

Mobil 1 0W-16 = Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-16
Mobil 1 0W-20 = Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20

There is another link with fifteen 0W-20 oils (make sure you hyphenate 0W-20):

https://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/

I'm pretty sure that the 2018 MSDS you looked at was for a different flavor and/or viscosity.

I know what's in my M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS bottle because no other oil made my engine feel smooth as butter like it has. It's revving like a Ferrari without the hp. Lol.

You can safely ignore those two, they are for a product we aren't discussing here. The two SDS's we are concerned about are for the Extended Performance product and the Annual Protection one, both of which present as the screenshots I presented indicate and you appear to confirm with your current query. That's been the same MSDS that everybody has been using for the last few years, as the product has remained unchanged for the duration.

You can safely ignore those two, they are for a product we aren't discussing here.

Yeah, they are for M1 AFE 0W-20, dated April 24, 2018, probably what he was looking at earlier. M1 AFE 0W-20 has about half the PAO of M1 EP 0W-20 or M1 AP 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back