Why would a circuit breaker be used instead of a fuse in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my 88 Dodge Aries station wagon. The circuit that protects the rear wiper & washer is protected with a circuit breaker. All of the other active slots in the single circuit panel of this car have ATO/ATC size fuses. The wiper & washer stopped working, so I probed and I see there is voltage at the pin on the wiper/washer switch, so this circuit breaker seems OK.
But I was wondering if someone would know why there would be a circuit breaker instead of a fuse on that 1 specific circuit.
I found a circuit breaker on eBay, and ordered it, so that I will have a spare if ever needed.
Could you use a fuse instead of a circuit breaker?

If it jams with ice and snow it'll trip the breaker, which will reset itself, possibly without you even knowing.

It's been a while, but I think Chrysler used to use breakers on critical circuits like exterior lights and wipers instead of fuses so they would reset automatically.

Originally Posted by eljefino
If it jams with ice and snow it'll trip the breaker, which will reset itself, possibly without you even knowing.

That is what I was thinking .

Is it a thermal circuit breaker or a circuit breaker with a mechanical reset button? I know in a lot older domestic make power window circuits, they used thermal circuit breaker that would reset after a cool down period. It was used in case of heavy resistance like iced in window channels. I would thing a wiper system would have a thermal circuit breaker also for the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back