Double Din Android Auto Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanna put Android Auto in my old Tundra. Would like to play my CD's.
JVC and Kenwood start at lower $300's.
I also see some $200 cheapos on Amazon.

Probably do a backup camera at the same time.
Anything to not buy? You generally get what you pay for...

Thanks for your experience and advice.

I still can't understand why it's so difficult to include a USB port in the FRONT! Why doesn't anybody make an Android Auto CD player with USB ports in the front?
mad.gif

And even without a CD player, there is only one Android Auto radio with a front USB port, a Blaupunkt from Walmart.

Several years ago , I put a double din head end system in the 2008 Silverado work truck , I drove at the time . Generic unit from Red China w/ radio , USB , sd and DVD / CD .

The install kit was kind of pricy , since it included a device to perserve the vehicle warning chimes and the sound of the turn signal / flasher . It included the 2 " jacks " which I soldered on to the wires from the head end , perserving the factory wiring . It was easy to re-install the origional radio when the truck went away .

I have gotten the impression DVD / CD playere are becoming a thing of the past ?

Best of luck to you , :)

I bought a cheapo of ebay for wife's Captiva...she's stoked it shows a chevy display when she turns it on...said which wire to cut to play DVDs while moving.

They didn't ship it with the plug and play plugs but corrected that when I offered negative feedback...the volume on the steering wheel and all that still work too.

Double Din, Sat Nav, provision for reverse cam....we are happy, it's not 2016 OEM quality, but the Colorado doesn't do CDs or DVDs

I highly suggest you rip your CD's to MP3's. Once you do that, there is no need to have a CD player in your vehicle plus you will have everything backed up digitally.
Put everything on a hard drive and a USB type C thumb drive. Throw the songs on your phone or a MP3 player with Bluetooth.
Crutchfield.com is a good source for car audio equipment and they provide detailed instructions and install kits.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I have gotten the impression DVD / CD playere are becoming a thing of the past ?

Best of luck to you , :)

I'd agree. For mobility use it's kind of silly. CD/ DVD can be "burned" but it's more of a process then using USB. Give. The size of USB sticks, the full resolution files can be easily installed. There's probably some sort of protection concern, but I don't know what it is.

That said, who wants a USB port on front where a USB stick would get knocked or broken, and damage itself and the circuit board that the usb slot is soldered to? On all my cars with USB ports, they're generally tucked away.

I'd suspect that USB ports will go away in interest of SD or smaller media slots. Phones can be charged by 12v adapters, and if a phone sync is necessary over a cord (vs BT), that too is desirable to be out of sight, out of mind for aesthetics...

CD can be nice to have--I've picked up a few recently (might get more, once it warms up and garage sales start happening) and it's kinda nice to just toss it in the player, without having to rip it first. That said, having a stack of CD's in a car is going to get old quick!

I need to figure out how to store USB thumbdrives in the car, none of my vehicles have "good" ways to flip through albums--it takes too much attention while driving. Getting some 8GB drives might make it easier (one drive for classical, one for metal, etc).

My hearing is going, my vehicles have road noise, thus I don't worry about bit rate and getting "great" quality as I won't be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Crutchfield.com is a good source for car audio equipment and they provide detailed instructions and install kits.

Agreed Crutchfield their install sheets and harness adaptors are excellent.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Originally Posted by skyactiv

Agreed Crutchfield their install sheets and harness adaptors are excellent.

I generally don't mind paying the somewhat higher price at Crutchfield for the value added by the included instructions and adapters.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I still can't understand why it's so difficult to include a USB port in the FRONT! Why doesn't anybody make an Android Auto CD player with USB ports in the front?
mad.gif

And even without a CD player, there is only one Android Auto radio with a front USB port, a Blaupunkt from Walmart.

My older Pioneer deck has a USB port in the front and now I've damaged TWO USB sticks and the port has something broken in it. Also the AUX IN 3.5mm is damaged from the last time I accidentally smacked it with my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back