Tip for cleaning sludge out of motor before swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long story short I bought an engine off ebay about 2.5 months ago. It came out of a running truck with 80k miles and had a 30 day warranty. I had it delivered and dropped to my garage and forgot about it. I finally got into it this weekend to redo a few things before I swapped it in(water pump, thermostat, gaskets, etc) and when I pulled the valve covers off I was horrified.

Im outside of the return date so I was looking for tips on the best way to clean this up before I put it in? My plan was to pull the pan and scrape off as much as I could, clean the pickup tube, try using a brush and kero or diesel fuel to clean up the heads (im not pulling them). Then putting the engine in with some engine flush treatment and running it for 15-20mins then pulling the pan off again to check the pick up tube for anymore blockage. Then maybe doing oil changes every 1000 miles with good quality oil and hoping for the best. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6222159C-5A24-430F-9213-0BA102190EB1.jpeg

AF887D31-D264-4DE4-9264-E0236ADFB7A7.jpeg

3C68BB1D-FFD4-4A87-8129-F7350600F412.jpeg

354DD1B5-9F85-4D4A-AB2F-6F5C3B2D859D.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow...not exactly what was expected at only 80k. But....seen worse cleaned up with just frequent oil changes. Since it's out of the vehicle, I like your plan of doing a cleanup prior to install, plus the run and then frequent changes afterward.
thumbsup2.gif

I would call and explain time lapse, and ask for my money back. The way the top end looks.......wonder what the bearings look like??? Good Luck.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Good plan. Once you get it running you might want to add Rislone engine oil motor flush or a similar product and do early drains using cheap filters and tossing them with each drain.
laugh.gif

This. Then thousand mile OCI's -- cheap SN oil and filters.

How long outside of the return window are you?

eBay has no official return policy. Sellers dictate the terms but eBay doesn't care what the seller actually chooses for the return window. I know this for a fact because I had a buyer file a bogus complaint asking for a refund well outside of my return window, eBay said they didn't care because anything could have prevented the buyer from asking for a return in a timely manner, including being busy, sick or on vacation.

As long as you aren't grossly outside of the window (more than 45 days after purchase), if you file a case for item not as described, you will probably win it. Make sure to word your complaint in a way that does not suggest buyer's remorse (which would be if the engine had no sludge and you just wanted your money back). You have a somewhat legitimate case to get your money back.

There's nothing to lose for you, eBay is more friendly for buyers than sellers.

I bought the engine January 10th so it's been about 2.5 months. I reached out to the seller over the weekend but haven't heard back yet. I spent $700 on the motor So I'm hoping its not going to be a complete loss and I can save it.

I would try the cleanup as you said with the top and bottom of the engine. It's probably going to take a few hours to do this.

Stock up some cheap filters from rock auto since you'll need them. Cut the filters open and post the pics for us once you get this engine up and running and you do a few short oil changes until the filter is clear of any big chunks of sludge.

Is this engine for you or for someone else long term?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Why would you even consider installing that engine?

My thoughts exactly. I would try and fight it out with Ebay, even though the return window has closed. I'd say I was waiting for warm weather to install it and took the seller at his word as to the condition of the engine. If that doesn't work I'd call it a bad investment take the hit and move on. Or maybe the OP can salvage things like the heads for rebuilding and either shelve them or have them on hand for this or another project.

Can you even turn that thing over by hand? If it turns over by hand, I would pull the head, clean it up, install a new head gasket. Pull the oil pan and clean that up. You may need to replace the oil pump. I wouldn't be bolting on any new parts before doing the check.

Its a 2009 dodge 4.7. The engine turns fine by hand. I was able to see the engine and hear it run before they removed it. Sounded good, no weird noises, there was an oil change sticker still on the windshield and it was pulled out of truck that had been hit hard in the back. Im waiting to hear back from the seller today and see what he says.

I think you got taken. I don't know if there is much you can do. I'd check the chain tensioner and see if the slack is ok, then maybe run some compression numbers. If all is well, I'd scrape out what I could and do as you plan, a bunch of short OCI's. I'm not sure I am a fan of running K2 or D2 to clean up an engine, just seems too aggressive---motor was probably running just fine before, so why risk wiping a bearing running something overly aggressive? I bet there are an awful lot of motors that look worse yet continue to grind out miles out on the road.

It's a 4.7, don't those motors drop valve seats? I hate to be pessimistic but I'm wondering if sludge is the least of this motor's worries.

is this a truck that you plan to run forever, or is this something you are fixing and flipping? Or something just for dump runs and whatnot, light usage around home? Wondering if one can worry too much about something ultimately not that important.

The seller may not have known. If they will not refund your money, then maybe another engine in better shape. I would work the seller and EBAY before I did anything to the engine.

If everything else was good and sludge was the only problem then with quality oil it will clean itself up. But the sludge is indicative of poor maint, so could be worn bearings or poor compression or burn oil due to rings being crudded up.

From the viewpoint of the seller, you listened to the running engine and approved it. If the guy takes back the engine he can't let the next customer listen to it unless he does a lot of work to get it running again. If he takes it back he is one he heck of a guy.

Next time be more thorough on your inspection. It wasn't his fault. You should have had an inspection committee of anal Bittoggers attend.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back