Cell phone privacy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Samsung Galaxy phones but am getting tired of google collecting everything and passing it around. If I do a search on my phone then the item I searched shows up on my computer, Facebook and any websites I visit. I've heard that iPhones are more private as far as that stuff goes. That Apple doesn't sell your data. Is this true? Maybe I'll try an iPhone.

The stuff showing up on your computer is more likely related to having a google account. If I remember correctly you have to have one to use an android phone so there's no getting around that. It's linked into google on your computer and youtube, etc..

An iphone uses an apple account and there's a lot of syncing that goes on with that too. It is although a more "secure" platform in that apple is very picky who gets their apps through and the operating system is updated with much more frequency than android. A lot of very security conscious installations will not allow their employees to use android phones.

The only real option is to stay off the grid, but that sure sounds like a miserable life.

As the other person, said, you're probably signed in with a google account. The next time yo use Chrome, use a new session in Incognito mode, which is the icon that looks like a spy. That should prevent it from being shared around your account.

[Linked Image]

Apple has gone on record stating that privacy is a human right. Google has not, and even went so far as to scrap one of their early company slogans which is "don't be evil".

The USGOV only permits employees to use iPhones for work purposes due to them meeting certain security standards.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I've always used Samsung Galaxy phones but am getting tired of google collecting everything and passing it around. If I do a search on my phone then the item I searched shows up on my computer, Facebook and any websites I visit. I've heard that iPhones are more private as far as that stuff goes. That Apple doesn't sell your data. Is this true? Maybe I'll try an iPhone.

If you want privacy , you are stuck with 2 tin cans and a string . Privacy no longer exists ! :-(

There is a lot that happens in the background and no matter which OS you use, google will track you. If not you, somebody else you know or interact with uses Google and thats how they track you using a unique ID. I don't have a facebook account but I am pretty sure facebook tracks me too.

The only way you can outsmart google is by using a flip phone/dumb phone. If you must use a smartphone and do a little hacking, there is a MicroG Project. I don't know how updated it is now, but they are trying to outsmart google using android (but its a lot of work). If I am concerned, I would just use a flip phone.

Agree with another poster, there is no privacy, no matter what anybody says.

Apple is typically chosen over Android unless specifically built at places that care more about that kind of security.

Android is a bit more Wild West with the app stores and OS but more flexible to in terms of exposing features.

Originally Posted by dishdude
The only real option is to stay off the grid, but that sure sounds like a miserable life.

Yep all that new electronic stuff is no more than a spy device.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
As the other person, said, you're probably signed in with a google account. The next time yo use Chrome, use a new session in Incognito mode, which is the icon that looks like a spy. That should prevent it from being shared around your account.

[Linked Image]

Nope.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by JerryBob

[Linked Image]

Nope.

Of course it does. If you have test results indicating otherwise, you've uncovered a major security flaw. Google pays bounties. You could be rich.

With regards to a smartphone phone the only true method is to use TOR (Orbot) and the associated browser (OrFox) and DuckDuckGo search engine. The experience is less than ideal however because of the increased latency caused by bouncing node to node and some websites won't display correctly or at all because they don't want to grant anonymity.

Of course APPS can/do collect your data and sell it. Especially free ones.

Last edited:
I used to know most of the top tier of the NY mob back when I was a corrections Officer back in the 80 s. I'm sure if they were alive now to answer they'd say use a pay phone. As if you can find one of those anymore...ª. There ain't no more privacy anymore........

Originally Posted by CT8
I am surprised you think there is privacy on the phone or computer .

I think the definition of privacy is narrow in the original post. If one communicates digitally, there is no privacy even if it's encrypted and/or through TOR.

In theory, they are all the same (that's how they make money by selling "high quality advertisement" to buyers. This means they "guess" what you like to see and send more your way (or you their ways), and show more advertisement that they think you will be more likely to click. Pretty much any free stuff online works this way.

In practice, it all depends on which company and how they make their money. Google will definitely ask you to use the google account and suggests everything based on what you use online (chrome on PC, android phone, etc), same for Amazon and Facebook. So far I haven't seen them suggesting nudity yet, but I do see some NSFW memory in YouTube (within youtube only) and search history from PC into my phone (or the other way around).

Apple does not make most of its money this way, so they have less incentive to sell these data, and they are more likely to charge you money when you buy your phone or medias from iTunes.

Using separate Google account works better than just switching to iPhone, IMO.

a plain old flip phone works for talking, the ONLY thing you should do with it + NOT while driving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back