FRAM TG 7317 - 12K miles opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with my busy schedule and car maintenance issues I had recently screwed up my UOA plan and regular schedule. I just changed the oil on the Accord and thought I'd post up some pictures of the older FRAM TG it was using. Doesn't look too bad at all but I think I'm going to go back to the Ultras. Just used the TG I had laying around. The oil filter has about 12K miles and went through two different OCIs (Valvoline FS 0W-20 w/ML and Mobil 1 FS High Mileage 5W-20). What do you guys think?

The vehicle doesn't leak oil and didn't seem to have any issues running this filter. Car currently has about 138K now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's about the same cost per mile as an Ultra, and they supposedly filter about the same... it's a toss of the coin. Use what makes you feel warm and fuzzy; just know there was absolutely nothing wrong with this "lesser" filter in your application.

It does look ok. Did you try to tear through the media? Just curious if the tough guard is a stronger media than the extra guard

Can someone set me straight on this....

This pic, is there a separation between the endcap and the center column?

[Linked Image]

However, this would only be after the oil is filtered, correct--so the oil would already have passed through the filter media?

Originally Posted by paulri
Can someone set me straight on this....

This pic, is there a separation between the endcap and the center column?

[Linked Image]

However, this would only be after the oil is filtered, correct--so the oil would already have passed through the filter media?

This has been hashed over many times in this forum. That gap doesn't matter because you can see there was a seal impression on the end cap all the way around the center tube. Think about how oil has to flow if the end cap is sealed around the center tube. The ends of the center tube doesn't do any oil path sealing.

Your point being that as long as the end cap is sealed, the oil would still have to flow through the filter media, before going through that gap?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Think about how oil has to flow if the end cap is sealed around the center tube. The ends of the center tube doesn't do any oil path sealing.

Originally Posted by paulri
Your point being that as long as the end cap is sealed, the oil would still have to flow through the filter media, before going through that gap?

Think about how oil has to flow if the end cap is sealed around the center tube. The ends of the center tube doesn't do any oil path sealing.

Correct. The leaf spring and the ADBV does the sealing on the end caps around the center tube.

The purpose of the center tube is not to seal that area, only to provide radial support for the media and some added axial support when the guts are held tightly together by the leaf spring in compression.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Looks good, but how much flow has been lost as filter loads up?

No lose of flow, just increased delta-p across the filter. Positive displacement oil pump.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Similar?

Except for the plastic center cage-but recent Ecores seem to be getting more media & smaller "windows", so they've been pretty good too.

I see nothing wrong with that filter. Looks good for a 10,000 mile rated filter at 12,000 miles.

I see no reason to go to the Ultra if you are doing just 2 intervals with your filter. The TG filters just as well as the Ultra, oil looks clean, so filter is not loading up, and the TG is a few bucks cheaper.
Ultra just makes some feel "better" to use.

No lose of flow, just increased delta-p across the filter. Positive displacement oil pump.

Pump bypass spring?

Originally Posted by blupupher
I see nothing wrong with that filter. Looks good for a 10,000 mile rated filter at 12,000 miles.

I see no reason to go to the Ultra if you are doing just 2 intervals with your filter. The TG filters just as well as the Ultra, oil looks clean, so filter is not loading up, and the TG is a few bucks cheaper.
Ultra just makes some feel "better" to use.

Agree! This TG filter shows the filter and oil to be in good shape. Not even ugly-black oil at 12K.
This engine has been well cared-for, regarding oil & filter changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No loss of flow, just increased delta-p across the filter. Positive displacement oil pump.

Pump bypass spring?

Only if the filter gets so clogged that the filter is causing the oil pump to pressure relief. The filter's bypass valve will probably be open before pump relief happens. If a filter gets to that point the engine has major issues and/or the owner has major maintenance neglect going on.

Originally Posted by blupupher
... Looks good for a 10,000 mile rated filter at 12,000 miles. ...
When manufacturers claim such mileage "ratings," they have to be conservative and assume somewhat ('tho not extremely) more rapid than average clogging, for both sales and legal reasons. On a clean engine with no problems and relatively little tendency to generate "dirt," you have a wide margin of safety. So, I'd rephrase your comment to "Looks normal for a filter at 12,000 miles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back