BEST place to bring old OIL after you do an OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by J. A. Rizzo

But uh seriously, around here they suggest draining the filters as much as possible and putting them in the trash. I once took in so many cat litter buckets full of used oil that the eager young counter attendant kid at Jiffy Lube pulled the forklift over and loaded it all up on a sheet of plywood laid across the forks. Probably had 13-15 buckets there. I drove away before he did. Hope he didn't drop any of those. Later, I felt guilty that he might get in trouble for that.

I realize this is an ancient post, but it's worth saying that you cannot transport more than 15 gallons of hazardous waste without a permit.

Hello 9 years ago.

So where does it say I can't transport 16 gallons of used oil at one time?

For commercial, I can see it, but for a regular person, never heard of any restrictions.

Problem is most places won't take more than 5 gallons at a time.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Hello 9 years ago.

So where does it say I can't transport 16 gallons of used oil at one time?

For commercial, I can see it, but for a regular person, never heard of any restrictions.

Problem is most places won't take more than 5 gallons at a time.

Even if that poster is referencing California, the personal limit is 55 gallons. There is a requirement to contact the accepting location if they will bring more than 20 gallons or any container bigger tan 5 gallons.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...html?lawCode=HSC&sectionNum=25250.11
(a) Any person who receives used oil from consumers or other used oil generators, is exempt from hazardous waste facilities permit requirements imposed pursuant to Article 9 (commencing with Section 25200) with respect to any location at which used oil is received if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each shipment of used oil received does not exceed 55 gallons, and the capacity of any single container does not exceed 55 gallons.
(2) No other hazardous wastes are received at the location, unless authorized by other provisions of law.
(3) The used oil is transported by the generator of the used oil.
(b) Any person who transports used oil is exempt from the requirements of subdivision (a) of Section 25163 and from the requirements of Section 25160 concerning the possession of a manifest while transporting used oil to a location described in subdivision (a) if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The capacity of any single container does not exceed 55 gallons.
(2) Each shipment of used oil does not exceed 55 gallons.
(3) The person transporting the used oil had generated the used oil.
(4) The person transporting the used oil does not transport greater than 20 gallons of used oil, and does not transport any used oil in any container exceeding 5 gallons in capacity, without first contacting the destination location described in subdivision (a) and verifying that the location will accept the used oil.

Auto Zone usually. I don't even talk to anyone, I walk in carrying a full oil container, I get a nod and proceed to the big blue tank in the back. Filters I drain for a while, put a folded shop towel in the bottom of the box the new filter came in, put the old filter in that and dispose in trash.

I bring used oil and used oil filters to any local parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) They always take it.
I take used transmission fluid to the local Firestone -- they do transmission services and have never said no.
With used coolant, my local jurisdiction said to pour it down the toilet with at least 2 extra flushes to dilute it.
Brake fluid and power steering fluid must be taken to the local household hazardous waste location. Not mixed.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I bring used oil and used oil filters to any local parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) They always take it.
I take used transmission fluid to the local Firestone -- they do transmission services and have never said no.
With used coolant, my local jurisdiction said to pour it down the toilet with at least 2 extra flushes to dilute it.
Brake fluid and power steering fluid must be taken to the local household hazardous waste location. Not mixed.

I've asked about coolant and was told that it's dependent on the sewage operator. Really though - a couple of gallons is nothing, but I generally wait until I have various stuff and leave it with my county household hazardous waste pickup.

I've dumped various lubbricating fluids in with all other waste oil. If it's for oil burning they don't car if it's motor oil, power steering fluid, ATF, gear oil, etc. The strangest was when I was disposing of motor oil used in a manual transmission. Looked nice and pale although up close it had lots of little metal particles.

I take it to the closest Auto Parts store that recycles even though I don't buy oil there anymore their prices sucked then and now have gone up to noncompetitive.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I take it to the closest Auto Parts store that recycles even though I don't buy oil there anymore their prices sucked then and now have gone up to noncompetitive.

Yeah motor oil in Auto parts store is far from competitive even on special.

Burn drain oil in my Evinrude 2 stroke outboard anywhere from 20:1 to 40:1. This old smoker calls for 50:1 but have more oil than I need and she seems to take all I can give it. Plugs can get real dirty but Lake Charleviox is long enough to do wide open runs to clean it. Always keep spare plugs just in case.

I take mine to a friend who either sells it for recycling or shop heat. Many garages do this I guess.

I don't think it's the case now, but he was getting a little over $1 a gallon for while for recycling.

Last edited:
I've been taking mine to AAP for years. I use an old 3-gal 3M Fluorinert, fat, round container (won't tip or spill).

(Bonus points if you know what Fluorinert is - without googling).

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I've been taking mine to AAP for years. I use an old 3-gal 3M Fluorinert, fat, round container (won't tip or spill).

(Bonus points if you know what Fluorinert is - without googling).

In 1979 in a lecture hall at the University of Wisconsin I saw a mouse breathe it, not just on a video but in person.

Exactly which perfluorocarbon it was I'm not sure but it was close.

Originally Posted by Gipple
I throw mine over the fence into my [censored] neighbor's yard. It's actually an improvement.

Haha!

I use home depot 5 gallon buckets with lids X 3 and when they are all full I go to my counties transfer station and dump them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back