Turn signals on the freeway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite thing is watching vehicles start to change lanes then the blinker comes on, it happens around here all the time. My Lucerne has a feature that if you push the blinker and let up right away it blinks three times, I don't use it, to me it's not enough.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Yes, but I only push the signal lever just enough so that it'll blink, but not "lock" in place - - and only for just a couple seconds.

All Y'all keyboard commandos that have never driven in DFW traffic will learn a whole new set of traffic rules when you come here!

That is no lie! You better grab that open spot when you see it open up! Watch a NASCAR race at Talladega and you'll see DFW traffic. I like the lane change feature, tap the lever and it blinks three times signaling a lane change.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Texas must not of had that on the driving test 🤔...³
That would be a yes question

They probably have it, but you probably only need a 70 to pass so it may be one of the questions they got wrong.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Leo99

In bumper to bumper traffic, you're asking permission. You're letting the other cars know that you want to change lanes. The courteous drivers will give you some space to change lanes.

When I put on my turn signals......I'm signalling my INTENT to change lanes.

Wrong. The drivers that are already in the lane you want to get in have the right of way. If you change lanes and hit someone because they didn't let you in, YOU'RE at fault. Sure, you could say the other guy was discourteous and should've let you in but...being discourteous is not illegal. However, not yielding to traffic that has the right of way IS illegal.

My car automatically turns on blinker when I change the lanes

Yes, I am kidding but there are some people who actually *do* that but not before braking and coming to almost halt on the highway before turning and then putting on the blinker.

Maybe they don't teach this anymore but there is or was something called burden. Who is the burden on? If you want to change lanes the burden is on you to do it safely. If you want to pass the burden is on you to complete that pass safely.

Now if the other driver is courteous then they will see your turn signal and allow you in. Flashing the turn signal two or three times is not enough. Turn it on until you have completed the maneuver.

One common situation I see these days is the freeway merge. Traffic is crawling in the freeway and drivers on the on ramp are trying to get on. Planning ahead means putting some space in front of you so one car can get in. That is called the zipper merge.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Are we suppose to use them? Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.

In the Midwest I never used them because when you did people would close the gap due to their passive aggressive "Midwestern niceness". Now on the West Coast, almost everyone slows, opens a little gap, and lets you in if you're up to speed so I use them all the time. People out here also zipper merge a lot better when lanes merge. They use the lane and merge when it ends. Midwest they'd never let you merge and then flip you off.

Please for the love of god use them! And check the bulbs on all your lights frequently to ensure they're all working. As a trucker, this is a huge gripe of mine with 4 wheelers on the freeway. People have no idea how many accidents are caused/nearly caused by people failing to do simple things like that. Few weeks back I almost plowed into a 90's Ford Thunderbird at night because the car's tail lights were out!
mad.gif

And it's not only dangerous it's the effing law, so obey it. Police should crack down on it harder, but they don't which is disappointing. If a class 8 truck has any lights out or fails to signal, we get stopped faster than you can blink.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Please for the love of god use them! And check the bulbs on all your lights frequently to ensure they're all working. As a trucker, this is a huge gripe of mine with 4 wheelers on the freeway. People have no idea how many accidents are caused/nearly caused by people failing to do simple things like that. Few weeks back I almost plowed into a 90's Ford Thunderbird at night because the car's tail lights were out!
mad.gif

Very good points.

Not using them so you can be the boss, because you don't want the gap to close up, is even worse than someone that won't let you in because you didn't have a good plan to start with.

Originally Posted by exranger06

Wrong. The drivers that are already in the lane you want to get in have the right of way. If you change lanes and hit someone because they didn't let you in, YOU'RE at fault.

Is that how you interpreted that comment - that they will put their turn signal on, then change lanes, and if someone is there, they're hitting them ?

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Freeway, yes. Sitting in a left turn only lane, not so much.

Same here. If I have positioned my car in a turn lane, that is my "signal" to other drivers what I am planning to do.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by exranger06

Wrong. The drivers that are already in the lane you want to get in have the right of way. If you change lanes and hit someone because they didn't let you in, YOU'RE at fault.

Is that how you interpreted that comment - that they will put their turn signal on, then change lanes, and if someone is there, they're hitting them ?

I'm not sure what he intended, but some people do seem to drive like that. They think that just because their blinker is on, they have right to move into the lane even when they don't have it. Or they just wait for the gap to open up, but sometimes wait too long so you give up. Then they honk at you when you fill it up because you got tied of waiting for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back