2014-2017 Toyota Corolla CVT Quiet Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
not doing any notifications...."as far as I know". Yeah sure dude, sounds like you really know what your talking about.

Ha! I like the thoroughly conventional, stupid, simple 4 speed A/T that was available only in the lowest-spec Corolla, for '14 through '16. In '17 ALL Corolla's had the CVT.

You lose a few mpg's (and suffer with a bit poorer acceleration) with this torque-converter 4 speed... and certainly only 4 speeds is "antique" in today's world... but it certainly will not Hunt on a hill and it IS durable.

Last edited:
This has been going on for a while.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4836644/Re:_14-17_Corolla_CVT_Service_

I figured this sort of developing fiasco would happen years ago when Toyota put all their eggs in the CVT basket. They got what they ordered, now they have to eat it, maybe it gets Subaru next. These companies foisted this crap on consumers with no option for a manual or regular automatic while in other parts of the world both options were always available, now maybe they will rethink that position.

https://toyotatalk.com/corolla-defects/

And lets hope they rethink the 8-speed Direct Shift nonsense too!
lol.gif

They ought to be able to get the CVT right as Aisin Warner is a capable transmission mfr. The drive quality of the CVT in a Prius isn't bad (though i suppose any CVT will "motor-boat" to some degree). Me, I just want to be as far away from bleeding edge as possible.

I like conventional torque converter A/T's cuz I can ultra-filter them (bypass filter), cool them, and cheaply service them... and feel the gearshifts
smile.gif

Having waxed poetic about the conventional 4spd A/T in Corolla's - the current car I'm driving a lot - a '99 Corolla - has it's ring and pinion bearings 'a sing'in at 117,000 miles. As I understand it this is a known prb with the A245E (code??) transaxle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
In case it hasn't been posted before... Just popped up in my YouTube feed.

This isn't a secret. It shows up on Toyota owner's website if you have an account and shows up if you search your VIN. At least it did for me. Had mine "fixed" last spring.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm not aware of a CVT in a Prius? "Element" Push Belt design CVT is much different!

Sorry, my error, then. I didn't know there were different CVT designs. In any case, the stepless automatic transmission in the Prius I drove some ten years ago was pretty smooth. I am told that in taxi service, here in Vancouver, the operators get very, very high mileages out of these Prius transmissions, as well.

I only buy American cars assembled here ...could never bring myself to buy a Toyota but unfortunately big 3 are getting out of car business so my options are limited

Originally Posted by Chesterr
I only buy American cars assembled here ...could never bring myself to buy a Toyota but unfortunately big 3 are getting out of car business so my options are limited

A list of American cars assembled here would be interesting to see.

Buy a Truck, SUV or Van. Those are still built here. Although I'm not sure why it matters considering there is so much cross border / overseas parts content today.

Last edited:
I suspect that federal MPG and tail pipe pollution regulations have a lot to do with manufacturer's relying upon CVTs. When they work, they are very efficient.

Of course, petitioning for a repeal of some of these federal laws will not make you popular with today's in-crowd.

Edmunds talked about secret warranties many years ago. Manufacturers have them in place, but if the consumer does not inquire about it, the dealers can charge you for full repairs. They are not technically secret, but the manufacturers don't go out of their way to disclose the defect and offer free repairs. As HowAboutThis explains, you have to go looking for it. Simple for many of us, but then think about the general public...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=secret+vehicle+warranties

Originally Posted by Danno

A list of American cars assembled here would be interesting to see.

Assembled in the USA is just one factor. Where do all the various parts come from?

It may have changed but for years the Toyota Camry was the most American car made. Today's assembly might mean engines from Mexico, parts from Brazil or Korea and so forth.

Both Toyota and Hyundai have major manufacturing plants that provide for their assemblies. Those are just two I mention.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Ha! I like the thoroughly conventional, stupid, simple 4 speed A/T that was available only in the lowest-spec Corolla, for '14 through '16. In '17 ALL Corolla's had the CVT.

You lose a few mpg's (and suffer with a bit poorer acceleration) with this torque-converter 4 speed... and certainly only 4 speeds is "antique" in today's world... but it certainly will not Hunt on a hill and it IS durable.

Amen to that brother. Give me 100% bone stock reliable over a couple mpg.

That dude does go on....and on....

What gets me is that regulations are pushing OE's to things like CVT's for marginal increases in efficiencies but then the vehicles have issues and might not last as long and all that pollution created to create the vehicle with a shorter lifespan in the first place gets displaced by an older vehicle that might be less efficient but could last on the road longer.

Sure Hondas/Toyotas from the 1990's pollute more than a modern vehicle of today but they also (IMO) lasted much longer than the models of today when looked after. Wouldn't it make more sense to tune them for efficiency without going to great lengths like Direct Injection, Turbo's, and CVT's which take away from the reliability and overall lifespan creating more pollution in the process because replacement vehicles are needed more often and creating these vehicles creates far more pollution than they would emit from their tailpipes?

I don't get why they push for better than we already have considering vehicles are virtually clean emitting with their catalysts warmed up and functioning properly.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back