Finally Found Factory Ammo my 308 Bolt Gun Likes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple years ago I bought a Thompson Center Venture in 308. I liked the specs, the price, and they are all supposed to be MOA or better before leaving the factory. Since purchase I've struggled to find ammunition that's accurate and repeatable. No matter whether it was firing cheap ammo, or the high dollar match loads, there was stringing and flyers. I've tried everything from Korean surplus M80 from the 1980s to Fed Gold Medal Match, and in every bullet weight they make. Even if I could get a group around MOA the next one would open up to double or triple the size. That all changed today......

The setup:
Thompson Center Venture- .308
Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14-50
Federal American Eagle 130 grain HP 308 "Varmint and Predator"
Supported front and rear but not in a sled
Target set at 100 yards

Best 3 shot group was .5405 inch. Just to ensure it wasn't a fluke, I did a total of 7 three shot groups, and lumping them all together the average was .7838 inch. Only one of the 7 was over an inch, and just barely.

While I won't be winning any extreme accuracy competitions any time soon, I think I finally found a combo that runs well in my rifle. I haven't found many reviews on this particular ammo, but I was definitely impressed.

Have you tried different company's match loads in the 155-185gr. range? If you can't get a consistent 3 shot group and have tried at least 10-15 different match loads, I'd call up TC and take them up on their MOA guarantee. Most likely they'd fix it or send you a new one they'd make sure shoots MOA with testing done by them to back it up.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
Have you tried different company's match loads in the 155-185gr. range? If you can't get a consistent 3 shot group and have tried at least 10-15 different match loads, I'd call up TC and take them up on their MOA guarantee. Most likely they'd fix it or send you a new one they'd make sure shoots MOA with testing done by them to back it up.

Have tried Hornady 155 A-max on the light end, IMI 168/175, Fed gold medal match 168/175, various Prvi Partizan loads, etc. There were a couple more but I don't have my notes handy.

I'm happy with how it shot the Federal 130 grain HPs. Prior to that I was considering contacting T/C for them to take a look at the rifle.

Buy a few cases, now that you have a winner
smile.gif

Have you checked to see if the screws mounting the action to the stock are tight ? Scope to rings , rings to mount and mount to receiver are tight ?

Is the barrel " free floated "

Are you going to hunt with it ? What ? 130 grain bullets are fine for varmints , but kind of light for anyrhing else .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Have you checked to see if the screws mounting the action to the stock are tight ? Scope to rings , rings to mount and mount to receiver are tight ?

Is the barrel " free floated "

Are you going to hunt with it ? What ? 130 grain bullets are fine for varmints , but kind of light for anyrhing else .

Yes, checked it out pretty extensively, removed stock (mounting screws were tight), inspected it all and reassembled. All scope mounting hardware is tight. The barrel is free floated.

No plans to hunt deer with it, but even though I wasn't happy with the accuracy before, it was good enough with heavier loads for that. These 130 grains are probably a nice choice for me, I live on 6 acres and have coyotes in the wooded area behind the house. (And deer, a bobcat, foxes, turkey, raccoons, armadillos and the occasional skunk)

Try a different scope. Sounds like something is wrong. The groups on the ammo it "likes" vary a lot. And a .308 that only likes varmint bullets isn't something I'd care to have.

Last edited:
Ordered some more of the 130 grain HPs since they ran so well.

SGammo also had some ADI Outback in stock loaded with the 168 grain SMK. Going to try a box of that and see how it does.

Will also verify everything is tight just as a sanity check before hitting the range.

I had a TC Icon in 308 Winchester and it absolutely loved 168 grain SMK's in the Federal Gold Medal line.

Tried the ADI 308 with 168 grain Sierra Matchkings. Only took me 5 months!

They did well. Best 5 shot group was right at 1 inch at 100 yards, using foam notched blocks to support the front and rear. Likely would do a bit better on a sled.

The rifle was sighted in for the Federal 130 grain Varmint and Predator rounds. The ADI impacted about 3 inches low and left. I'd like to try longer ranges one day, and if/when I do these seem like a good one to try.

Years ago Navy Arms had 168 grain red tip bullets .308 seconds on sale for $ .10 each , delivered . I purchased 1,000 . Still have some left .

I use these in .30-06 & .308Win ( with USGI surplus 4895 ) and get good results That is my recommendation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back