Gear lube 75W90 Synthetic GM# 88900401

Status
Not open for further replies.
RCbob - you already have a thread going on this. This is not a worrisome issue. Rear gear lube has been around for over 100 years. It's not magic and nothing special is required. ANY GL-5 "synthetic" 75W90 will do. Your local auto parts store has many options under 10 dollars a quart. I recommend Valvoline or Castrol or Pennzoil equivalents.

The grape scent is enticing though ... not worth an extra 10 bucks though.

Last edited:
I just bought AMSOIL two weeks ago for $17.XX a quart.

AMSOIL.jpg

I'm supposed to use the same lubricant you are looking for in the differentials of my GM work trucks and my PontiacTrans Am. In each vehicle,over the years, I have changed out the factory GM 75w-90 fluid with the following: Pennzoil Synthetic( now called Platinum) 75w-90, Vavoline SynPower 75w-90 or Valvoline Heavy Duty Synthetic Oil 75w-90. All of the lubricants I mentioned meet 75W-90 GL-5 lube requirements as well as more stringent Gear Oil tests. I have had zero (0) issues with spalling, gear grind, bearing wear or gear wear. My work trucks get a lot of use year round. As long as you choose a name brand synthetic oil and change it on a set schedule, you will be fine.

Have several GM trucks with towing pkg/G80 and all run WM Supertech 75W-90 full synthetic diff fluid and no issues ??

They run about $6 a qt retail price, But some lucks slugs have found them for $3.50 or less on clearance

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back