2003 Duramax 208, XXX miles Rotella T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Duramax with 208,xxx miles. Rotella T4 conventional 15/40. 6,200 miles on oil in one year. Only changed it because of a year has passed. I went with Schaeffers 15w40 this time and will most likely go 7500-8000 miles and sample.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gman2304
Why? If it ain't broke.......

Why what? Have it sampled? Switch to Schaeffer's?

This past OCI was the first time I ran Rotella. For the previous 200k miles it was either Delvac or Delo. When the CK-4 oils came out, Delvac and Delo seemed to get neutered. That's why I went to Rotella.

No mention of Delvac or Delo in your OP, plus Blackstone mentioned that the Rotella was getting the job done. Hasn't all CK4 HDEO's have been neutered the last few years?

Originally Posted by gman2304
No mention of Delvac or Delo in your OP, plus Blackstone mentioned that the Rotella was getting the job done. Hasn't all CK4 HDEO's have been neutered the last few years?

The Rotella T4 seemed to take less of a hit in reduction of zinc,phosphorus, etc than the others mentioned according to the information I had found.

One of the best Diesel UOA I've seen in awhile. Why would you want to change to Schaeffer's for twice to cost and very likely little or zero gain?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
One of the best Diesel UOA I've seen in awhile. Why would you want to change to Schaeffer's for twice to cost and very likely little or zero gain?

In hindsight I should have taken a sample of the Rotella and waited for the results before changing the oil. As far as the Schaeffer's goes, I guess I just wanted to try it out to see if it outperformed the Rotella. But you're correct, it is twice the price. At this point it will take me a year to go 6500 miles but I will definitely sample before changing the Schaeffer's and extend the OCI accordingly.

Very good UOA - your Dmax really likes Rotella T4 based upon these wear numbers. I would suggest that you consider using Rotella T4 again in the future and extend the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back