Public opinion of this Lyft ride, and my reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
customer satisfaction should be paramount. period. a new headlamp and turn signal bulb are inexpensive, and required by law. it appears that Lyft is only allowing you to vote with your feet.

I'll post an analogy for when I'm flying. If I arrive at the destination in one piece, still alive, all the other stuff like lost baggage, smelly co-passengers and turbulent weather fade to black. You got to your destination with minimal drama, in one piece. From what one reads occasionally about these services, things can get a lot more discomforting than your ride. Also, that was a heck of a lot of money for such a short trip - what would have a plain ‘ol yellow taxi cost? Every one of those I've been in were in pretty good shape and the driver had his credentials prominently placed.
Not dissing you at all, rather, thanks for posting your experience, it gives one more reason not to use these services, I'll call a taxi instead.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I'll post an analogy for when I'm flying. If I arrive at the destination in one piece, still alive, all the other stuff like lost baggage, smelly co-passengers and turbulent weather fade to black. You got to your destination with minimal drama, in one piece. From what one reads occasionally about these services, things can get a lot more discomforting than your ride. Also, that was a heck of a lot of money for such a short trip - what would have a plain ‘ol yellow taxi cost? Every one of those I've been in were in pretty good shape and the driver had his credentials prominently placed.
Not dissing you at all, rather, thanks for posting your experience, it gives one more reason not to use these services, I'll call a taxi instead.

I think you missed the whole point of using these services. They're cheaper than a taxi. Otherwise you could just call for a taxi.

I've taken some pretty awful taxi rides too. Both Uber and Lyft try at least a little to ensure a quality ride in something other than a vomit filled, vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat taxi. The NYC taxi's of years were awful. Overseas locations were worse.

Including one taxi ride in a Corolla type car where the rioting folks in Jakarta nearly flipped us over.

Guessing your ride cost less than a taxi. However, I get your point, the driver has a responsibility to provide an acceptable level of service. Which was CLEARLY not met in this case.

EDIT: I'd not give up on Lyft or Uber though. Think of them as "tools" appropriate for certain tasks. Other tools are available when higher quality or better service is needed.

Last edited:
Maybe Lyft should give you a break, but, honestly, I wouldn't expect much from these rideshare services-if you made it where you were going without the driver crashing into something or the car breaking down, you did all right. 13 miles would be more than $32 in a regular taxi, probably more like $50.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I've taken some pretty awful taxi rides too. Both Uber and Lyft try at least a little to ensure a quality ride in something other than a vomit filled, vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat taxi. The NYC taxi's of years were awful. Overseas locations were worse.

Including one taxi ride in a Corolla type car where the rioting folks in Jakarta nearly flipped us over.

Guessing your ride cost less than a taxi. However, I get your point, the driver has a responsibility to provide an acceptable level of service. Which was CLEARLY not met in this case.

EDIT: I'd not give up on Lyft or Uber though. Think of them as "tools" appropriate for certain tasks. Other tools are available when higher quality or better service is needed.

That reminds me of a ride in a taxi I took years ago. I think the engine was shot or the transmission was shot. We barely made it to the airport. Car was making a lot of noise, The driver even stopped once to check the taxi and apologized for the issue. Anyway, we were just happy to make it to the airport without breaking down and left. Never gave it a thought to report it or complain.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Yeah, the burger might have been lousy but you ate the whole thing. They probably get a thousand of emails like this a day.

Yep. + 1000000000

It's always interesting hopping in a stranger's car. I can't say I've ever been in an Uber or Lyft that I felt was dangerous, but I've sure been in a few hoopties.

As far as Taxis go, the nicest are in Tokyo. They all use the old looking Toyota Crowns that are meticulously maintained. They put white doilies on the seats!

Worst was a yellow cab Crown Vic from the Cincinnati airport in Kentucky to downtown. It pulls up and there are 2 people in the car, they opened the trunk and there's an old nasty tire inside. We load our luggage in and all 3 of us pile in the backseat. We get on the highway and one of the tires has a bad belt! We shimmied into each other the entire way from KY up to Ohio.

I'd agree a little something for the trouble may be in order, but as has been pointed out, you got to your destination, You filed the reasonable complaint. Time to move on.

I've done several Uber rides (but not Lyft) here. Had one ride that was on the edge of being sketchy, but elected not to say anything in the end. The other rides I've had have all been in decent, late model vehicles.

And as pointed out, my rides have typically been in the $26-32 range for a 17 mile trip. A taxi is generally $45 to 50 for the same ride. And the Taxis tended to be the same rate of sketchy rides...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back