My mom needs a new phone. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother has an older flip phone and is on my sisters ATT plan.

I want to get her an inexpensive android phone and keep her on my sisters ATT plan.

Can i just go buy an unlocked phone and notify ATT?

Since your plan is to keep Mom on your sister's plan....then that's a question you should ask your sister's ATT service provider / store clerk.

Last edited:
Make sure the phone is GSM and has bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17.
Android is a mess. There are lots of crappy Android phones on the market but there are good ones, too.
You might need a new SIM card as flip phones typically are old designs with a larger SIM card which wont work in a smart phone.
Good luck finding a case for some of the garbage cheap Android phones that stay on the market for 5 months.

I use AT & T and have 4 unlocked Motorola moto phones. Having the correct size sim card should be your only issue, you would need to go the AT & T store. Find a corporate owned store. They have replaced sim cards for free and at other times have charged maybe $5.

Most of the new phones now you can't change the battery in them. That's why I'm still running with my Samsung S4 the battery is replicable. I figure two more batteries and at 75 I'm won't have to worry about it. I got this phone for $200. There is no way in [censored] I'm paying $1K for a phone that won't cook, wash, clean and have sex!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Make sure the phone is GSM and has bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17.
Android is a mess. There are lots of crappy Android phones on the market but there are good ones, too.
You might need a new SIM card as flip phones typically are old designs with a larger SIM card which wont work in a smart phone.
Good luck finding a case for some of the garbage cheap Android phones that stay on the market for 5 months.
? Just get an older flagship Android phone.

When I had flip phone for stepfather was cheaper on ATT Family plan. When using Smartphone they charged more per month.

As an older person, I recently got the iphone SE. Very happy with it. Works on att. Had many android, like this better. Just works. Cheap too. I was always against i this and that, now I get one and I can see why people like them.

I bought my Mom an iPhone 7s for Christmas a few years back. Good camera, lots of memory, compatible with every network.

My wife has a Motorola, nice phone, but for my Mom, who is now 80, the Apple logic/interface is simpler and easier to learn.

I would go Apple, even though you pay more, because it's simpler to use and this is her first smart phone.

Have a Moto E4+. Like the E phones. Huge battery lasts days with heavy use. Like the standard Android screen vs. for example the Samsung skins. Think I paid Boost $70 for it more than a year ago.

The larger iPhones are easily used by those of us older folks. Big screens and larger text are a match made in heaven. Even the older model iPhone 7 plus is a superb machine.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
As an older person, I recently got the iphone SE. Very happy with it. Works on att. Had many android, like this better. Just works. Cheap too. I was always against i this and that, now I get one and I can see why people like them.
+1-I just replaced my CDMA iPhone 4 recently with a new Tracfone iPhone SE so I can take calls on LTE networks, it was around $200 with a 1 year Apple warranty. They've since dropped to $175, and it can do anything my work iPhone 7 can do.

Does she really, really have to have a voice-phone? (size, spends most time in voice calls).
An iPad with a cellular radio is something to think about.

Seems like to seniors a smartphone doesn't get much use because of the small screen, fonts, and keyboard,
but an iPad gets used more for reading books, looking up things on websites, looking at photos of
family.

In a newer car, she could still pair an iPad to the Car, and use it the same way a iPhone would
be used.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
There is no way in [censored] I'm paying $1K for a phone that won't cook, wash, clean and have sex!

There are many decent Android and iPhones out there for way less than a grand. On my iPhone, Siri will tell me where to eat, a laundromat location and directions, recommend a housekeeper, and the only thing she won't do is marry me, which is good, because I got one woman I can't keep happy. What would I do with two?

Cellular service has really gotten competitive. A few years ago I switched to Cricket. They are ATT's pre-pay brand and have many phones to choose from. If you have an existing phone you can also possibly use that on their network.

In the USA we have four major carriers. ATT, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and Sprint (and soon T-Mobile and Sprint will be one company). That being said there are a ton of MVNOs that have many plan offers that use the same networks as the four major carriers. Please see this list. https://upwardmobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008087808-List-of-Carriers-and-MVNO-s

Using a prepay plan has its advantages. For one they are cheaper and I use a cashback credit card to pay my bill every month so I am getting something back for the payment method.

Last but not least, if you are worried about coverage, you can use an application like Open Signal (download from app store or Google Play Stor to see where the towers are closest to the locations you frequent. Switching saved me over 70.00 per month as compared to what I was previously paying on ATT. With Cricket, I get to use the same network (read coverage is the same as ATT) at much lower rates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Great phone. Cheap now that they are not the latest design, but SO much more value than current iPhones.

I am on my 2nd of these, had one stolen. I got a 64gb model for $90 delivered on a black Friday deal. Locked to Simple Wireless (a tracfone type) for a year, but at $20/month for good service over T-mobile's network, I am quite happy. They are very high performance (about equivalent to an iPhone 6), and small enough I carry everywhere instead of hating the bulk.

An unlocked one for use on AT&T would be cheap. Only downside is if someone has really poor eyesight and needs a tablet-sized phone (I don't, I have a tablet for that!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back